Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Venting outdoor cover to prevent moisture build-up

Where can I can some of these vent cover scoops? I'd like to add these and have a canvas shop sew them in. Specifically vents that will be easy to add to canvas. I see them as a feature on many big name cover manufactures, but no source as to where to buy them yourself to add on?? 

Never had a problem until we moved the boat to a new place and don't have time to dry it completely before leaving and covering for the day. The cover us trapping the moisture and not giving it a chance to dry. I think these vents installed at the high point of the cover would allow the moisture air to escape at the black cover heats up in the middle of the day. What do you think? 

This is our 14 year old custom cover with no vents:

IMG_3869_zpsv8jihbvp.jpg~original

I like the install location on this Natique cover best. That is where the heat will rise and want to escape: 

covernotower.jpg

another version:

WestlandVent_zpsjtyrdvbg.jpg~original

11mvent_zpskieicc3e.jpg~original

7196134_zpsqglligbk.jpg~original

The second option would be to install a solar powered vent inside the hull somewhere. Either one of those tiny computer bilge fans or another Rule bilge blower behind the engine that pushes air out over the swim platform. But I feel like those would vent the bilge area and maybe not vent the wet carpet?? Thoughts? And they are more complex then simple cover vents. 

One of these on the swim platform while it is parked. 

solflex-1.jpg

Running one of these through the extra air vent near the swim platform outlet. Doesn;t need to run full speed on solar, just half speed is a lot of air:

RULE_140V_BLOWER__23603_zoom.jpg

Bilge wizard on solar: 

combo.jpg

Bilge wizard: http://www.bilgewizard.com/bilge.php

Edited by Air Tahoe
14 hours ago, Fffrank said:

Here's a solution that doesn't need it be sewn in. You can get them with nice poles, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Vent-Cap-for-Boat-Cover/dp/B00HXITKP8

Thats Frank. Looked at these. But we really don't want to fuss with a pole. I'd rather do the work now, so that it is quick and easy for years to come. 

2 hours ago, Air Tahoe said:

Thats Frank. Looked at these. But we really don't want to fuss with a pole. I'd rather do the work now, so that it is quick and easy for years to come. 

You can use these without poles -- they just have a provision to fit on top of the poles.  Either way, you cut out a 2" circle of fabric from your cover and then these screw together on both halves.  Takes ~5m per vent to install.

• Like 2

I've got two scoop vents and one pole vent in my cover, but there is still always moisture on the underside of the cover when I take it off in the morning.  The cover came with them, so I'm not sure if it would be even worse without the vents.

6 hours ago, Fffrank said:

You can use these without poles -- they just have a provision to fit on top of the poles.  Either way, you cut out a 2" circle of fabric from your cover and then these screw together on both halves.  Takes ~5m per vent to install.

Oh thanks Frank. I'm so closed minded. I didn't realize they could be used without a pole. I thought the bottom half was connected to a pole in my imagination. Sounds like this is a really good option that is easy to purchase and install. 

I also bought 2 Hangtyte boat cover systems to keep the cover taught when it rains. I'll need to decided where to install those first then the vents secondary. All this in the name of keeping it dry :)

5 hours ago, powbmps said:

I've got two scoop vents and one pole vent in my cover, but there is still always moisture on the underside of the cover when I take it off in the morning.  The cover came with them, so I'm not sure if it would be even worse without the vents.

Always good to hear real life feedback. I expect moisture to form each morning but what I need is a vent to allow the moisture to escape during the heat of the day. Right now if we are done using it and it is wet and we throw the cover on, it is still wet a week later. We don't always have time to wait and dry it out before putting it away and leaving the marina. I'm pretty sure some venting is key to getting the warm moist air to escape. 

I'm also building a solar powered bilge blower that will run off the sun during the day and get the air moving inside the boat while we are gone. 

Someone needs to combine these air vents with the hangtyte cover support system. That way you get a vent and a support to keep the cover up for rain !!!

https://www.amazon.com/Vico-Marine-Boat-Vent-3/dp/B00LTY20D6/ref=pd_sbs_200_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00LTY20D6&pd_rd_r=Q3JZ04AC8D19P6BT2FFK&pd_rd_w=fTxke&pd_rd_wg=BPStj&psc=1&refRID=Q3JZ04AC8D19P6BT2FFK

7 hours ago, Air Tahoe said:

Always good to hear real life feedback. I expect moisture to form each morning but what I need is a vent to allow the moisture to escape during the heat of the day. Right now if we are done using it and it is wet and we throw the cover on, it is still wet a week later. We don't always have time to wait and dry it out before putting it away and leaving the marina. I'm pretty sure some venting is key to getting the warm moist air to escape. 

That makes sense.  If the boat sits in the sun for the day (covered), it is dry when I take the cover off, but it's always wet when we take it off for an early morning ski.

9 hours ago, Air Tahoe said:

Someone needs to combine these air vents with the hangtyte cover support system. That way you get a vent and a support to keep the cover up for rain !!!

https://www.amazon.com/Vico-Marine-Boat-Vent-3/dp/B00LTY20D6/ref=pd_sbs_200_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00LTY20D6&pd_rd_r=Q3JZ04AC8D19P6BT2FFK&pd_rd_w=fTxke&pd_rd_wg=BPStj&psc=1&refRID=Q3JZ04AC8D19P6BT2FFK

That someone should be you.  Im guessing itd be really easy to screw an eye bolt right down the middle.

2 hours ago, 05hammerhead said:

That someone should be you.  Im guessing itd be really easy to screw an eye bolt right down the middle.

This is exactly what i'm going to do.  Stainless eyebolts through the Vico vents connected to a hang-tyte style system.  

The Vico vents have allowed my boat to dry out.  I've been happy with them.  I also sprayed my cover down with 303 waterproofer and that has gone a long way towards keeping the water out of the boat.

I did 303 too and the water really beads off now. I didn't realize the water resistance had worn off. It has always done a good job beading water until this year. 

Shoot, I already ordered both vents and hang tyte system yesterday. I didn't think it would be possible to combine them but you are probably right. stainless eye bolt through the top. I'll have my hands on both in a few days and upload photos to see if it will work. Would sure make the cover more streamline and stuff on it. 

Although the hang tyte needs to be mounted more aft and the air vents really should be installed are the near highest point of the rear cover where the heat rises next to the windshield frame. 

Watched a bunch of video on the vico vents. Really good design. 

Sunbrella breathes pretty well on it's own.  I've never needed vents with sunbrella covers.  It's the OEM cover from Malibu that doesn't seem to breathe very well and requires vents.

50 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

My .02 - no matter how many vents you put in a cover the boat is going to be wet if you cover it wet.

I think our cover might actually be sunbrella fabric, but no way to tell. It has lasted 12 years without any issues. 

Ya I can see that being true. But we don't have time to dry the carpet and storage lockers completely before leaving the marina. Just not always possible. So might as well do what we can do with vents and an electric blower system. And I think the water resistance wore off and when we got some hard rains, it soaked the boat day after day. With the 303 sprayed on it bubbles nice now. 

I got an extra 3" bilge blower to either pipe into the exhaust vents near the engine or the air inlet near the front windshield. And a 17 step 12v digital timer. That way I can program the bilge fan to stay on for 4-5hrs after leaving, yet not kill the batteries. Or have it come on at 12noon once a day for 30 mins. The options are endless. Might need to add solar panel to keep the battery charged up. Would take too large of a solar cell to run the blower fan even at half speed. They need 3.1amps to get moving. And all of this is temporary, have an indoor storage in the works, but have to make do until that opens up. 

The Vico Vent 3's are awesome. Larger then I imagined and high quality plastic. No doubt they will hold some weight just like the hangtye system. I thought about the eye screw suggestion and was worried someone would whack their face with it when putting the cover back or it would scratch the boat. SO went with soft paracord to make and eye loop. Added some shrink wrap to protect the paracord against the plastic since it will be pulled at an extreme angle. Will use left over paracord, run over tower and back down to a cleat to adjust how tight. 

1. Wayyy cheaper then hangtyte

2. Less complex then the hangtye pully system

3. Airvents and hangtye will be integrated, less stuff

http://www.iboats.com really let me down. Ordered two sets of Hangtye on Oct 24 and still has not shipped yet 6 days later. That is ridiculous. Have others had trouble with them? I will cancel my order when they actually answer the phone. 

Here are some photos of the vice vents/ cover support to tower: 

9B8E1C3F-910B-4A29-BAA7-628A9A89F155_zps

58F9D882-DCE9-4AA8-AC42-30E53408030F_zps

3Acss6MNFcK3uhpzVttqlykNh6Djpl-lAxY_QJqw

On 10/22/2016 at 11:46 AM, Air Tahoe said:

The second option would be to install a solar powered vent inside the hull somewhere. Either one of those tiny computer bilge fans or another Rule bilge blower behind the engine that pushes air out over the swim platform. But I feel like those would vent the bilge area and maybe not vent the wet carpet?? Thoughts? And they are more complex then simple cover vents. 

One of these on the swim platform while it is parked. 

solflex-1.jpg

Running one of these through the extra air vent near the swim platform outlet. Doesn;t need to run full speed on solar, just half speed is a lot of air:

RULE_140V_BLOWER__23603_zoom.jpg

Bilge wizard on solar: 

combo.jpg

Bilge wizard: http://www.bilgewizard.com/bilge.php

Those blower vents. Draw too many amps to run off a small solar panel u would need something too big and bulky or charge a battery then run off battery but there are other issues there etc.. beat thing would be a small 5w -10w solar panel then use a small 6" or so size 12v computer fan very low power and u would be ok.. thia is what I'll be installing in my locker walls this winter...plug into separate solar panel on boat lift to air lockers out when gone..

there are some solar power boat vents out as well.  

Vents with no air flow don't always help much.. if wet and sunny and hot the only thing you will be using is a bottle of mildew remover... I remember the days... Hated it.. 

Any small air flow will help a ton!