Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What 1/2 ton are you towing with? (no diesels and 2014+ newer)

Fman

I go back and forth on the 5.5 vs 6.5 bed.  When I got mine the 5 ft 7" bed was the only option with the Ram 1500 CC, but I would have bought a 6.5 if available.  Occasionally I have to park in older parking ramps and I'm glad it isn't a foot longer, likewise sometimes you wish it was at least 6ft long.  

7 hours ago, Fman said:

Speaking of lift kits, a leveling kit would be a must I really don't care for the front rake going on... I called 4WPW and they charge $950 installed which seemed a little high to me.  Anyone here installed a leveling kit on the Ford F150? what did you use? install it yourself?

Is it a coil over level kit, or spacer kit In the front? 

Front spacer kit should be $100 or less

rear spacer kit $150 or less

The coil over kits were in the $500-700 range when I was looking.

i had a shop in Modesto do my spacer kit for around $450. I contemplated doing it myself but I figured it would take me several hours, and probably some bloody knuckles 

Edited by Stevo
6 minutes ago, Stevo said:

Is it a coil over level kit, or spacer kit In the front? 

Front spacer kit should be $100 or less

rear spacer kit $150 or less

The coil over kits were in the $500-700 range when I was looking.

i had a shop in Modesto do my spacer kit for around $450. I contemplated doing it myself but I figured it would take me several hours, and probably some bloody knuckles 

Not sure on the Ford, on the Toyota it is just a $100 spacer that goes on top of the strut.  4 wheel parts mentioned the Ford is more expensive because of some other item that needs to be purchased for the alignment.  Tundra was $550 and the Ford was $950.

Speaking of rip offs, Toyota is charging $1700 for that Nano clear bra material on the front of the vehicle.  Does this seem high?  has anyone here used this stuff before?  The more I think about it I am not sure if it is worth it.  The truck sits much higher than a vehicle, not sure how many rock chips you be getting anyway.  I am sure that clear bra could be had much cheaper at a local tint shop.

5 minutes ago, malibu2004 said:

Is this the first year of the 10 speed transmission in the F150? No way no how I would buy a first year anything from any manufacturer. I did it once and will never do it again. 

Yup, first year.  You can order the truck with a 6 speed transmission in the 2017 if desired.

Just now, Fman said:

Not sure on the Ford, on the Toyota it is just a $100 spacer that goes on top of the strut.  4 wheel parts mentioned the Ford is more expensive because of some other item that needs to be purchased for the alignment.  Tundra was $550 and the Ford was $950.

Speaking of rip offs, Toyota is charging $1700 for that Nano clear bra material on the front of the vehicle.  Does this seem high?  has anyone here used this stuff before?  The more I think about it I am not sure if it is worth it.  The truck sits much higher than a vehicle, not sure how many rock chips you be getting anyway.  I am sure that clear bra could be had much cheaper at a local tint shop.

That price for a clear bra is way high. My 3m was 650 from a local shop but I did not do the entire hood just half tho.

my level kit was just spacers

Just now, Stevo said:

That price for a clear bra is way high. My 3m was 650 from a local shop but I did not do the entire hood just half tho.

my level kit was just spacers

Ya that is what I thought, are people really that stupid to pay these prices dealerships are charging for extra upgrade items???? I don't get it, I can see a little markup necessary for profit but they are going 200%+ in some cases.

Just now, Fman said:

Ya that is what I thought, are people really that stupid to pay these prices dealerships are charging for extra upgrade items???? I don't get it, I can see a little markup necessary for profit but they are going 200%+ in some cases.

Because they figure that people willing to spend 60K on a pickup are not real concerned about a little extra.

Who is paying $60k for these trucks? I guess they are the same ones paying MSRP + extra :) it is crazy how many of the "little extra" items will add up to be thousands and thousand of dollars extra.

1 minute ago, Fman said:

Who is paying $60k for these trucks? I guess they are the same ones paying MSRP + extra :) it is crazy how many of the "little extra" items will add up to be thousands and thousand of dollars extra.

The guys who have the dealer add on a few grand worth of ghetto fabulous wheels and tires, undercoating, clear bra, fabric protection, leveling kits, spray in bedliner, power entry steps ;) 

I remember when I bought my truck and before you sign the papers they wanted you to talk to the "accessory shop" so that you could roll a whole bunch of crap into the loan.

Edited by oldjeep

I paid $456 for factory spray-in liner.  I got my all-boxes-checked King Ranch for roughly $5600 under MSRP.  I just used the Costco Auto Program--no price negotiations, though I did have to haggle on the trade-in price.  I wanted to negotiate the trade-in at time of ordering, which they don't want to do.  Only half the dealerships in my area are willing to quote a Costco price on the 2017 Ecoboost yet, since it's just coming out and they want to squeeze max dollar out of early adopters like me.

2 hours ago, malibu2004 said:

Is this the first year of the 10 speed transmission in the F150? No way no how I would buy a first year anything from any manufacturer. I did it once and will never do it again. 

Co-developed with GM, so there will be a lot of them on the road soon from the 2 biggest truck manufacturers.

2 hours ago, Fman said:

About the only reasonable "add on" item I found was the spray on bedliner for $550.  This seemed a lot more reasonable in price.

I got them to add that free of charge plus the bed cover after we negotiated all the prices out.

1 hour ago, Cory said:

I paid $456 for factory spray-in liner.  I got my all-boxes-checked King Ranch for roughly $5600 under MSRP.  I just used the Costco Auto Program--no price negotiations, though I did have to haggle on the trade-in price.  I wanted to negotiate the trade-in at time of ordering, which they don't want to do.  Only half the dealerships in my area are willing to quote a Costco price on the 2017 Ecoboost yet, since it's just coming out and they want to squeeze max dollar out of early adopters like me.

See if you have access to any of the plans: X, A.  If you do, you get that price plus whatever rebates are running at the time.  And if you are trading in, be sure you work out the trade value prior to telling them you have a plan pin number.  

• Like 2

I definitely won't be trading in, I can easily get 3-4k more selling private party.  I did list my current vehicle on CL last week just to get a feel for what interest there would be.  7 calls in two days, two offers, one full price.  I had to remove it because I won't let it go until I have found a vehicle.   Needless to say I don't think it will take long to find a buyer.

3 hours ago, Fman said:

I definitely won't be trading in, I can easily get 3-4k more selling private party.  I did list my current vehicle on CL last week just to get a feel for what interest there would be.  7 calls in two days, two offers, one full price.  I had to remove it because I won't let it go until I have found a vehicle.   Needless to say I don't think it will take long to find a buyer.

Every Toyota I owned sold in a couple of days for full asking price. Just so you know, that probably won't happen with the Ford. 

1 hour ago, Tims said:

Every Toyota I owned sold in a couple of days for full asking price. Just so you know, that probably won't happen with the Ford. 

I actually just sold my F-150 in 3 days for more than I thought I would get....and bought a Toyota.  First Toyota for us.  

Long story short on F-150 resale value....I purchased my 14 F-150 for $31,xxx new in April 2014, and just sold it outright to Carmax (read:no trade) for $28k...they just cut me a check.  That means I drove a brand new truck for 2.5 years and 29k miles for sub $4k.....I'd call that a win every day in my book.  

No we didn't buy a Tundra....my wife leased a Rav4 a day later at a local Toyota dealer....cheap too!  She's been wanting a small SUV for awhile now and I just inherited an older Silverado 2500hd from my father that I can use for towing the boat so we no longer had the need for a full size truck!

Anyways...carry on...I'm sure all full size trucks hold good resale value provided you buy it right.

2 hours ago, Tims said:

Not sure how much that means.  Everyone has a different idea of how much they should ask for their vehicle when they are selling it.  Perhaps you are asking less than you should.

I had great luck with resale on my 03 RAM when I bought my 12.  And my 03 Suburban sold for what I was asking for (which was way higher than NADA because it had the 8.1) in about a week.

3 hours ago, Tims said:

You may want to look at your asking prices in the future and study the market a little more.  That statement (or result) actually doesn't indicate a whole lot.  If you list ANYTHING below market value it could very well sell above asking price.  People do it all the time in hot housing markets to attract attention from buyers and drive up the asking price.

I get your point on Toyotas, but I'd maximize my sale price.

1 hour ago, tjklein said:

You may want to look at your asking prices in the future and study the market a little more.  That statement (or result) actually doesn't indicate a whole lot.  If you list ANYTHING below market value it could very well sell above asking price.  People do it all the time in hot housing markets to attract attention from buyers and drive up the asking price.

I get your point on Toyotas, but I'd maximize my sale price.

Of course, I probably just did not ask enough. Let me try it this way. Toyotas have really good resale value.............Better than Dodge or Ford.

http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-full-size-pickup-truck/

Edited by Tims
9 minutes ago, Tims said:

Of course, I probably just did not ask enough. Let me try it this way. Toyotas have really good resale value.............Better than Dodge or Ford.

http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-full-size-pickup-truck/

I don't see where anyone has debated that.  The market clearly supports used Toyotas.  They also cost more, lack creature comforts for comparably equipped models, get worse MPG, etc., but clearly do well on the resale market.  

Bottom line FMan, buy the truck you like and there will still be plenty of people willing to buy it from you.  When I bought a 2010 dodge everyone told me what a POC it is, get killed on resale whatever, I bought for 38 traded for 23,500 as I recall after 6 years.  I think that was pretty good.  That's like what, $200 a month?  But if it wasnt as good as a Tundra on retained value, whoop de doo.  I liked it.  

Just now, 85 Barefoot said:

I don't see where anyone has debated that.  The market clearly supports used Toyotas.  They also cost more, lack creature comforts for comparably equipped models, get worse MPG, etc., but clearly do well on the resale market.  

Bottom line FMan, buy the truck you like and there will still be plenty of people willing to buy it from you.  When I bought a 2010 dodge everyone told me what a POC it is, get killed on resale whatever, I bought for 38 traded for 23,500 as I recall after 6 years.  I think that was pretty good.  That's like what, $200 a month?  But if it wasnt as good as a Tundra on retained value, whoop de doo.  I liked it.  

Not debating it either. I was simply agreeing with Fman on the ease of selling a Toyota, which data supports and folks called me out that I did not ask enough. (Which is probably true.)  He is on the fence with a decision between a Ford and a Toyota so I was sharing my experience with both but glad to hear about your experience with the Dodge. 

12 hours ago, malibu2004 said:

Yep Jackie Springer got me on a 2011 Wakesetter with the MTC touch screen.

12 hours ago, Fman said:

If rock chips bother you.... you want it. The front of my Tundra is peppered with rock chips at 100k miles.

Edited by nyryan2001