Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What 1/2 ton are you towing with? (no diesels and 2014+ newer)

Fman

33 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Out of curiosity, what rim size?  This has been becoming an issue in a lot of brands of cars and trucks now that so many vehicles are going to large rims and shorter tires, especially when they get lifted or leveled.  I know that some of the early 4th Gen rams were having a similar problems with the crappy factory tires when they had 20's instead of the 17's my truck has.

20s.  But I've been in a handful of these with 20s and mine is the only one with vibes at 75 MPH+.  Loaner they gave me yesterday I had up to 85 and it was like butter.

I did some research on the 2017 Ford 3.5L eco, the 10 speed transmission has me concerned, there is a lot of moving parts in that thing.  Not to mention Ford had to come out with new lower viscosity fluid to use it in because of all the tight tolerances in the trans.  The engine has also been changed with two different fuel systems being used (to help avoid turbo lag), hollowed out cams, lighter turbo internals.  There is also now a 10,000 mile oil change interval on the new 3.5's, seems crazy to me that they would let the engine go that distance between oil changes.  Maybe this is the norm now?  I am going to TD the Ford/Tundra tomorrow, not sure if I feel great about possibly purchasing first year of this new transmission/engine modification.  Here is a good video of all the changes.

They mention the 10 speed is an option so if concerns you too much you don't need to choose that option. I wouldn't be concerned with the 10k miles oil change interval. Ford's newer models have been at 10k for a couple years as I know the '14 fusion was 10k for the 2.0 L ecoboost

Fman, I've been towing the last 3+ years with a F150 Eco 3.5 and it's been outstanding! The truck has 97,000 miles and it's only been in for repair once, other than regular maintenance. It's serviced it every 7500 miles, full synthetic Castrol since the first oil change. I would not hesitate to buy another, but most likely would opt for a '16 if I was buying now.

Edited by thtrog

@Fman, I was under the impression the two fuel systems were to reduce carbon buildup on the valves. Maybe I'm wrong, but this is what a tech at my dealer was telling me when I was in for service. 

On 10/23/2016 at 10:09 AM, DarkSide said:

Let us not forget a Toyota towed the space shuttle....

Did you see the mythbusters episode on Toyota vs ford towing a 747?  

I chose a '14 EB and love it.  The towing is by far the best of any 1/2 ton I have ever owned.  I was all set to buy a 3/4 diesel but the EB does everything I need and more.  I based my decision on a number of people I know in the boating community but I blame @thtrog the most :biggrin:

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, ID AX said:

Did you see the mythbusters episode on Toyota vs ford towing a 747?  

I chose a '14 EB and love it.  The towing is by far the best of any 1/2 ton I have ever owned.  I was all set to buy a 3/4 diesel but the EB does everything I need and more.  I based my decision on a number of people I know in the boating community but I blame @thtrog the most :biggrin:

Guess you blame the 23 LSV on me too...;)

• Like 2

I've got a '17 King Ranch F150 on order with the new ecoboost. I'm trading in my '11 F150.  I almost ordered a '17 Sierra 2500, but ultimately decided the F150 was the right size for me. I have a mixed experience with the first gen ecoboost.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Cory said:

I have a mixed experience with the first gen ecoboost.

c'mon @Cory you can't just leave us hanging like that. Details!

(as a cheapskate, I will be one of the schmucks buying your guys' used up ecoboosts)

• Like 2

I just test drove a 2017 F150 eco 3.5L and 2017 Tundra 5.7L SR5.  Ok, so I was a little surprised about a few items.  The Tundra, love the look of the truck, with a slight leveling kit I think it would be about perfect height for me.  It drives nice, I like the interior,  good space in rear seating area, but not even close in performance to the F150.  The F150 has a LOT of juice when you step on it, it almost reminds me a little of a diesel but super responsive.  It will roast the tires if you punch it, and great exceleration on the freeway from 60-75mph.  The Tundra seems like it is definitely not near as powerful or responsive, although I dont think it would bother me as a daily driver but you dont feel that turbo kick in like the F150.  I like the Lariat package in the F150 with dual climate control, leather, rear air, upgraded sound system, etc.  The visibility on the Ford driving is also a little better with some added create comforts like the 110 inverter plugs that have in the rear and front of the cab with multiple USB plug ins all over.

It is going to be a tough decision on these two, but I right now leaning towards the F150 Lariat w/leveling kit.  

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Cory said:

I've got a '17 King Ranch F150 on order with the new ecoboost. I'm trading in my '11 F150.  I almost ordered a '17 Sierra 2500, but ultimately decided the F150 was the right size for me. I have a mixed experience with the first gen ecoboost.

I am also curious, what year eco?  Cory, what does the King Ranch offer over the Lariat package?

16 minutes ago, Fman said:

I just test drove a 2017 F150 eco 3.5L and 2017 Tundra 5.7L SR5.  Ok, so I was a little surprised about a few items.  The Tundra, love the look of the truck, with a slight leveling kit I think it would be about perfect height for me.  It drives nice, I like the interior,  good space in rear seating area, but not even close in performance to the F150.  The F150 has a LOT of juice when you step on it, it almost reminds me a little of a diesel but super responsive.  It will roast the tires if you punch it, and great exceleration on the freeway from 60-75mph.  The Tundra seems like it is definitely not near as powerful or responsive, although I dont think it would bother me as a daily driver but you dont feel that turbo kick in like the F150.  I like the Lariat package in the F150 with dual climate control, leather, rear air, upgraded sound system, etc.  The visibility on the Ford driving is also a little better with some added create comforts like the 110 inverter plugs that have in the rear and front of the cab with multiple USB plug ins all over.

It is going to be a tough decision on these two, but I right now leaning towards the F150 Lariat w/leveling kit.  

Did you try the Eco in Sport mode?

3 hours ago, ID AX said:

Since we all love pics.  '14 EB with leveling kit and 34" Nitto terra g2s

B114A3EB-CE3A-4CDC-AC9F-47035B5C4969_zps

CE85F8E4-15D4-41DE-B30A-C3C9DDB2FC8A_zps

Love the crew cab with the longer bed.  I couldn't find ANY F-150s with that configuration anywhere near me when I was looking early this year.  2" lift/level for my GMC is on the agenda once I burn off the cruddy Goodyear all seasons that came standard on my 6.2.  Have you noticed any issues with the handling after leveling?

• Like 2
On 10/23/2016 at 1:30 PM, Fman said:

What about F150 and aluminum body?  thoughts on this? repairs with aluminum?  are they as durable as a metal panel?  for some reason when I hear aluminum it makes me think of soft and no strength.  I know that commercial where they throw that tool box in alum bed and it puts a hole in it is kind of a joke.  Im sure with a bedliner this would not be a problem and who does that anyway.

How did you like the  10 speed auto? I heard that it will skip shift when appropriate. 

And don't worry about the aluminum. All the manufactures will probably go to it soon. (I will be laughing when Chevy has to pull those stupid commercials when they switch over to aluminum.)  Insurance is a non issue and I am pretty sure you will not be dropping tons of weight from 50ft into the bed. 

When making your final decision you really have to weigh your priorities. One of the main reasons Toyota is #1 in reliability and low cost of ownership is they don't change powertrains every 3 years. What you get in a Tundra is proven. On the other hand, Ford markets to innovation and it has served them well. Problem for the consumer is they are typically not totally buttoned up and will likely have some small issues. I have owned both a late model F150 (2014 F150 FX4) and now a Toyota Land Cruiser with the same engine that is in the tundra. Love the peace of mind that comes with the Toyota but miss the outright performance of the Ford. 

You have been practical for long enough. Time to risk a little and go with the performance. Just push hard for the front end deal as those Furds will depreciate hard. Of course that is not an issue if you keep them for the long haul.

19 hours ago, Fman said:

I am also curious, what year eco?  Cory, what does the King Ranch offer over the Lariat package?

My Ecoboost is one of the first from early 2011.  It's a Lariat.  I'm going with a monochrome (all black exterior) King Ranch cause I like the exterior chrome of the Lariat (which the King Ranch has), but wanted a nicer leather on the interior.  The King Ranch leather is softer, but saddle color.  I'd prefer a black leather interior (eg Platinum), but don't like the satin finish and wheels on the exterior of the Platinum.  So, the King Ranch was the compromise combination that most suits my desires.

Edited by Cory
9 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

c'mon @Cory you can't just leave us hanging like that. Details!

(as a cheapskate, I will be one of the schmucks buying your guys' used up ecoboosts)

My very early eco was super powerful, but occasionally shuddered in sixth gear when cruising up a gentle incline or under light acceleration.  I took it into Ford and after a few return trips their ultimate fix was to detune the turbo.  While the shudder went away, my engine never had the same power as the day I bought it. I have been pretty upset about Ford's "fix."  I really didn't want to reward Ford with another purchase, but at the end of the day it's just the right size for me.  I think the GMC's are very sexy!  I love the 6.2L engine, but the back seat has less room than the Ford (I've got 3 kids now) and GM doesn't offer a fold away bed extender, which is one feature on my current f150 I use a lot.  

Edited by Cory
27 minutes ago, Cap305 said:

Love the crew cab with the longer bed.  I couldn't find ANY F-150s with that configuration anywhere near me when I was looking early this year.  2" lift/level for my GMC is on the agenda once I burn off the cruddy Goodyear all seasons that came standard on my 6.2.  Have you noticed any issues with the handling after leveling?

I've had 3 trucks with the 5.5' bed and both the wife and I agreed that whatever truck we bought it would have the 6.5' bed.

I haven't noticed much of a difference in handling.  Nose is higher but no big deal.  It tows much better with the stiffer tires.  I also installed air bags on the rear end to compensate for sag when towing. 

8 hours ago, DAI said:

Did you try the Eco in Sport mode?

Not sure, did not even realize it had a sport mode.  They threw me the keys and told me and my wife to have fun and burn some rubber... sales guy did not even go with us.  I know the GM of the dealer, they were super cool, just waiting to hear back from them about the final OTD price.

4 hours ago, Tims said:

How did you like the  10 speed auto? I heard that it will skip shift when appropriate. 

And don't worry about the aluminum. All the manufactures will probably go to it soon. (I will be laughing when Chevy has to pull those stupid commercials when they switch over to aluminum.)  Insurance is a non issue and I am pretty sure you will not be dropping tons of weight from 50ft into the bed. 

When making your final decision you really have to weigh your priorities. One of the main reasons Toyota is #1 in reliability and low cost of ownership is they don't change powertrains every 3 years. What you get in a Tundra is proven. On the other hand, Ford markets to innovation and it has served them well. Problem for the consumer is they are typically not totally buttoned up and will likely have some small issues. I have owned both a late model F150 (2014 F150 FX4) and now a Toyota Land Cruiser with the same engine that is in the tundra. Love the peace of mind that comes with the Toyota but miss the outright performance of the Ford. 

You have been practical for long enough. Time to risk a little and go with the performance. Just push hard for the front end deal as those Furds will depreciate hard. Of course that is not an issue if you keep them for the long haul.

I have heard Ford typically has good warranty repairs and I know the GM of the dealer so that could only help if something went wrong.  As far as the 10 speed trans, it felt super smooth, almost like you cant even feel the trans shift.  It is a very noticeable difference between the 5.7L Tundra engine and the 3.5L eco, even my wife made a comment about how it put you back in the seat when pegged to the floor.  Engine is also super quiet.  We will see what happens, I am not sure what deal they are going to come up with for me.  I am also very confused on all the different packages Ford offers, there are a ton of different configurations available with different trim packages.  I still cant figure out what wheel comes with what model because everything on the lot seemed to be mix and match, lift kits, etc.  We definitely liked the Lariat for the dual air, leather, stereo, etc... 

Speaking of lift kits, a leveling kit would be a must I really don't care for the front rake going on... I called 4WPW and they charge $950 installed which seemed a little high to me.  Anyone here installed a leveling kit on the Ford F150? what did you use? install it yourself?

Edited by Fman
4 hours ago, Fman said:

Not sure, did not even realize it had a sport mode.  They threw me the keys and told me and my wife to have fun and burn some rubber... sales guy did not even go with us.  I know the GM of the dealer, they were super cool, just waiting to hear back from them about the final OTD price.

If you did not put it in it, you were not using it.  Sport makes the Eco and trans even more responsive and it will hold gears longer.

FWIW, my only 3 regrets with my purchase:

1.  Not getting the larger fuel tank

2.   Not getting the tow mirrors

3.   Not getting thd 6.5 ft bed (have the 5.5); but probably would not have fit in my garage