Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What 1/2 ton are you towing with? (no diesels and 2014+ newer)

Fman

What about F150 and aluminum body?  thoughts on this? repairs with aluminum?  are they as durable as a metal panel?  for some reason when I hear aluminum it makes me think of soft and no strength.  I know that commercial where they throw that tool box in alum bed and it puts a hole in it is kind of a joke.  Im sure with a bedliner this would not be a problem and who does that anyway.

Edited by Fman

Basis for my perspective:  - own a 2014 23LSV since new, - towed it with both a 2010 Yukon Denali with the 6.2lt for the first season, and now a 2015 F150 3.5 Eco Platinum, - I'm not a loyal fan boy of any of the truck brands.

Of the 4 you are looking at, all will tow the 23LSV fine, but differently (no recent Ram or Toyota experience).  The 6.2lt in the GMC will like higher RPMs to generate the torque (assuming the new DI version is the same) and the 3.5lt Eco will achieve majority of it's torque at the lower RPM range.  Towing both, I prefer the Eco.

The other bigger reasons I did not go GMC again after the Yukon was that I perferred the styling on new F150 and GMC has (hopefully had) this very annoying design 'feature' where the steering wheel was not lined up with the center of the drivers seat (Sierras that I drove were the same).  Once I noticed it on the Yukon it annoyed me everytime I drove it, and hopefully they fixed this.  The Ram was a close second for me, but the local dealer turned me off.

As for the new F150, it has been a great tow vehicle and daily driver.  When you test drive, drive it normally and also drive in sport mode (mode after tow/haul).  The aluminum body has had no issues (at 26,000 miles) and the bed with a spray in bed liner has been perfectly fine.  The Platinum has a lot of comforts that my BMW had:  heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, massaging seats, and other driving nannies.  Also the sunroof is huge, basically the whole roof.  The transfer case in auto 4 is interesting as it puts a vibration through the gas peddle; no issues last winter but it was a light winter for us.  However the cooled seats are terrible and I had an issue with my drivers doors having excessive wind noise; dealer fixed.  If you go F150 definitely do a thorough look over at the one you are buying as people have complained of door panels not aligning and wavy areas of aluminum on the roof.

My other perspective, if you can get more off on a 2016 vs 2017, I would go 2016.  First the 3.5lt eco the 2016 has no shortage of power for towing, and when not towing all that addition power will be hard to use with such a light back end.  The second reason would be the 10 speed is unproven in the real world, and between reliability and the potential constant shifting would have me hold off.

Just my perspective and let me know if you have any other questions with the new F150.

Edited by DAI
Typo
On 10/23/2016 at 7:57 AM, Fman said:

Talking price, what is % off MSRP I should try and get off a Toyota or F150? Or is considered a "fair deal".   I always hate the sit down at the table with any dealer, but unfortunately its almost impossible to avoid.  I also have zero problems walking away from the table if I can't get the deal I am looking for.  Most of the the dealers do not even list all of there inventory online, you have to go down and walk the lot.

Go to the car lot and drive a few trucks to figure out what you want. Go home strip down to your tighty whites and start shopping over the internet. Negotiate everything over the internet. You can have emails going to different dealers to get the best price. Once you settle on the deal go in and sign the paperwork. 

I've done it this way for our last 4 cars and have nothing but positive a experience. 

Fords are about 10k or a little more and Toyota about 6k off. The more expensive the truck the more room they have on the price. 

Edited by malibu2004
  • Like 3
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 0:30 PM, Fman said:

What about F150 and aluminum body?  thoughts on this? repairs with aluminum?  are they as durable as a metal panel?  for some reason when I hear aluminum it makes me think of soft and no strength.  I know that commercial where they throw that tool box in alum bed and it puts a hole in it is kind of a joke.  Im sure with a bedliner this would not be a problem and who does that anyway.

Couple things - ask your insurance agent what the cost of collision is on an F150 vs Tundra vs whatever.  If the cost to repair the aluminum is significant then it'll be reflected in your rates.

I could never have a Ford now, 95% of people are likely fine with the aluminum bed but I use mine hard as a truck .  Bobcat scoops full of class 5, truck axle assemblies, snowmobile carbides and other miscellaneous abuse that leaves the beds in my trucks pretty beat on.  I've got a deep crease in one of my wheel wells that would definitely be a puncture in a Ford.

IMG_20161025_093328_012_zpsfoqhkevv.jpg

2016 Denali with the 5.3L.  Went with the GMC for a few reasons.

• When I bought in May, there were briefly some crazy discounts on a certain number of Denali 1500s.  25% off list, and lower than GM employee pricing.
  • Quiet at hwy speeds.  I spend hours on end camped out at 80 MPH and do a lot of conference calls.  The new GMs are quiet.
  • Fuel economy.  See previous point.  In my Titan, a good tank would be 16 MPG.  I haven't gotten less than 18 MPG on a tank with this one and frequently get 20 MPG on a tank, even with lots of 80 MPH.
  • 5.3L with 8 speed has plenty of power.  The 8 speed does a better job of keeping the engine in the powerband, especially during passing maneuvers.  I haven't noticed any shift busyness.
  • I tow the VLX once or twice a year and the 5.3L does fine with the '01 on a single axle.  If I was towing a 23 LSV hundreds of miles, I'd likely have gone with a different option.
  • Went 5.3L over 6.2L since I don't tow as much as I used to and the 6.2L gets indigestion on 87 octane.
  • Magnetic ride control is legit.  Ride is quite a bit nicer than the standard Sierra.  It feels more floaty over large creases but tightens up when you're turning.

I have 6500 miles on it now and so far, here's the report card.

• Factory Goodyear tires are complete garbage.  The dealer has been chasing a road force vibration issue swapping tires repeatedly and they all come back out of road force balance after you get 500 miles on them.  Working on GM to give me some Firestones or BFGs instead of the awful OEM Goodyears.
  • I thought my OCD would make me crazy with the offset steering wheel, but I don't notice it.
  • My Titan was more fun to womp on.  The Nissan 5.6L makes all kinds of sexy noises at 3/4 throttle and full whack and really breathes well.  The 5.3L DI makes good power and is much more refined than the raw-feeling Nissan, but it feels wheezy near the red line.  Midrange sounds and feels pretty good.  It's definitely programmed more conservatively, likely to help fuel economy.
  • Infotainment system is awesome.  Sound system is pretty decent but the Android Auto integration is killer.
  • Ventilated seats work pretty well, better if you guide some AC airflow to the floor.  Will not own another vehicle without ventilated seats.
  • Power running boards are something I use more than I thought I would.  If I'm by myself I usually switch them off, but the wife likes them.  They're also handy for washing the roof or accessing the bed.  In my Titan, I usually would step over the boards, which in winter can lead to dirty pants.  No problemo here.
Edited by UWSkier
  • Like 3

Wasn't available earlier this year when I was shopping, but I see nobody's mentioned the new Titan half ton.  This would definitely be on my list for a more frequent tow setup in a half ton.  I nearly cried when I parted with my '06 Titan.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/08/2017-nissan-titan-review-first-drive.html

Pro4X with different wheels would be a sweet rig.

On October 22, 2016 at 8:19 PM, mikeo said:

I'm jumping in late here, and don't have a truck that qualifies. I upgraded to a '15 Chevy 2500HD from an '06 Tundra Limited (lifted) since I needed the towing capacity for the travel trailer and it's nice to have for the LSV too. The one detail that I couldn't get past (other than towing capacity) with the new Tundra is that it's impossible to get the "long" (6.5') bed with the "CrewMax" (full double) cab. I really liked having the CrewMax with the 6.5' bed on my '06 Limited; Toyota missed out on two things: the cab/bed configuration and not utilizing the diesel engine from one of their partner companies (Hino).

There was a Toyota Tundra CrewMax w/long bed powered by a diesel built for a car show a few years ago. I would have seriously considered putting a deposit on one of those instead of just negotiating at the end of the fiscal year for an on-the-lot vehicle like I usually do.

My point in all of that: make sure you have the cargo space you need/want in the new truck, you don't want to leave any of the weekend toys behind!

I forgot to mention that I have seen one "frankentruck" where somebody took a Tundra Limited CrewMax and put a 6.5' long bed on it, but they owned an auto shop is Texas and likely did the work themselves. (it was one of the shops on "Texas Car Wars" or something like that; the only reason I watched the show for a whole episode was to try to figure out details on the truck.)

You made me think of this:

Suggest you not rule out the GMC Denali Sierra.   6.2 liter power plant with 8 speed transmission is great combination.   I have a 2016 Yukon XL Denali for towing my 23LSV.  I am very happy with the towing capabilities and the initial quality.    ~2500 miles with no quality issues!   Lots nice features and plenty of power.  My two cents.

I think the difference in insurance costs of a Ford vs everything else are something to investigate, but I would be surprised if they were significant.  Any body damage that happens in a collision will undoubtedly be more expensive to repair, but the BI is usually more expensive than the PD, and the Ford has very high crash ratings.

My vote would still be for a GMC over the Ford or Toyota.

Have you driven any of them yet?

1 hour ago, ORMailbuboater said:

Suggest you not rule out the GMC Denali Sierra.   6.2 liter power plant with 8 speed transmission is great combination.   I have a 2016 Yukon XL Denali for towing my 23LSV.  I am very happy with the towing capabilities and the initial quality.    ~2500 miles with no quality issues!   Lots nice features and plenty of power.  My two cents.

?  Are you being sarcastic?  Better not be any quality issues on a $60,000 pick up!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

?  Are you being sarcastic?  Better not be any quality issues on a $60,000 pick up!

Not really.  Build quality as you say should be zero defects.  I expect it but sometimes there are bugs.  I am very glad has been zero so far considering all the added complexity.  GMC has continued to improve in quality over the years plus no unscheduled trips to the dealer.  The fit and finish, electronics, performance, etc... continue to improve year over year.  Price unfortunately is way up just like Malibu boats.   Wish mine was only $60k   Seen the prices on loaded Yukon XL Denali's?  Pushing $80k+ MSRP.    Not that I even considered a Cadillac Escalade ESV but those pushing $100k.  That is ridiculous!  

My 2007 Yukon XL Denali was nice but the level of quality in the materials, paint, engineering, etc... is much better.    Dare I say it is rivaling European makes?  I own and have owned many BMWs and Audi's over the years.  This is getting really close!   Maybe not Range Rover but feel it is getting close to BMW & Audi build quality.   Price too....

Edited by ORMailbuboater
9 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Wasn't available earlier this year when I was shopping, but I see nobody's mentioned the new Titan half ton.  This would definitely be on my list for a more frequent tow setup in a half ton.  I nearly cried when I parted with my '06 Titan.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/08/2017-nissan-titan-review-first-drive.html

Pro4X with different wheels would be a sweet rig.

5 Year warranty on all Titans now!

33 minutes ago, nyryan2001 said:

Titan Cummings 5.0 diesels came in weak on hp/tq power in real towing.

Even the smaller 5.0 Ford and 5.3L GM gassers outperform them. 

the big guns: 3.5 Eco, 6.2L destroy them.

Titan 5.6L gasser in the non-XD version is an absolute gem of a motor.  TBD how well it fares in terms of fuel economy.  I'd love to take one for a spin.  Bet it doesn't have any vibration issues like I'm combatting with my GM (and lots of others from reading the forums.  Beginning to question my purchase...).

I was days from pulling the trigger on an Denali 6.2 as I have always been a GMC fan. Drove a friends  f150 Platinum 3.5EB for a couple weeks and really liked it. Just like FMAN I couldn't get over the look of the RAM until my wife forced me to drive the EcoDiesel Limited. I thought the materials, fit and finish were better than all the others. The materials used rival that in my Lexus ls 460. Also, the ride was the best.

As I have mentioned on other posts, I agree the front Grill and RAM letters are pretty bad, but I will trade out the grill for cheap and have the letters either painted or removed. 

I'm averaging 27 mpg around town with some pretty steep hills and get just shy of 30 on the highway with 3.92 gears. I towed my 23 LSV for 500 miles through various terrain and never dropped below 12mpg and averaged just shy of 14mpg without having to rev the crap out of it.

It also helped  that I got all I wanted for $45k (no Ram Boxs)

Edited by Socalbu
7 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Titan 5.6L gasser in the non-XD version is an absolute gem of a motor.  TBD how well it fares in terms of fuel economy.  I'd love to take one for a spin.  Bet it doesn't have any vibration issues like I'm combatting with my GM (and lots of others from reading the forums.  Beginning to question my purchase...).

AFM system?  That drove me nuts on my 2010; 2007 did not have it and it ran much smoother.

14 minutes ago, DAI said:

AFM system?  That drove me nuts on my 2010; 2007 did not have it and it ran much smoother.

More likely the phantom rear end vibration issue that Chevy has been chasing for a couple years in their full sized trucks and suv's.

Edit- here is an article where they describe the various things they try to do to fix it on effected trucks

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/03/the-mysterious-chevy-shake-is-affecting-pickup-trucks-now-too.html

Edited by oldjeep
13 hours ago, MadMan said:

Just like there shouldn't be any quality issues on a $100k+ boat??

Not at all the same.  Every boat is a custom order and hand built.  GMC sells hundreds of thousands of trucks.  Better comparison on boat is a handbuilt car, in which case, they will for sure have more quality issues.  My FIL bought a new DB9 which is hand built and even bears the name of the final constructor.   Not sure he lasted with that thing more than a year even though it was sweet.  Custom stuff is just that.  An assembly line mass-produced pickup?  Not so much.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, ORMailbuboater said:

Not really.  Build quality as you say should be zero defects.  I expect it but sometimes there are bugs.  I am very glad has been zero so far considering all the added complexity.  GMC has continued to improve in quality over the years plus no unscheduled trips to the dealer.  The fit and finish, electronics, performance, etc... continue to improve year over year.  Price unfortunately is way up just like Malibu boats.   Wish mine was only $60k   Seen the prices on loaded Yukon XL Denali's?  Pushing $80k+ MSRP.    Not that I even considered a Cadillac Escalade ESV but those pushing $100k.  That is ridiculous!  

My 2007 Yukon XL Denali was nice but the level of quality in the materials, paint, engineering, etc... is much better.    Dare I say it is rivaling European makes?  I own and have owned many BMWs and Audi's over the years.  This is getting really close!   Maybe not Range Rover but feel it is getting close to BMW & Audi build quality.   Price too....

Unfortunately, yes.  One is in my driveway.  Not sure how the wife pulled that one off.

But the Sierra denalis are more than 60?  Wow.  Didn't realize that.

54 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

More likely the phantom rear end vibration issue that Chevy has been chasing for a couple years in their full sized trucks and suv's.

Edit- here is an article where they describe the various things they try to do to fix it on effected trucks

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/03/the-mysterious-chevy-shake-is-affecting-pickup-trucks-now-too.html

Can tell from my own vibration detection equipment (butt) that it's a tire frequency vibration in mine.  It's been to the dealer 3 times for the issue and one of the rims is on its fifth different tire having repeatedly found road force issues.  They say the road force is good on all corners now.  Just got it back from 3rd visit yesterday.  Will give it another couple days but if it goes back a 4th time and isn't fixed, WI Lemon Law kicks in.

16 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Can tell from my own vibration detection equipment (butt) that it's a tire frequency vibration in mine.  It's been to the dealer 3 times for the issue and one of the rims is on its fifth different tire having repeatedly found road force issues.  They say the road force is good on all corners now.  Just got it back from 3rd visit yesterday.  Will give it another couple days but if it goes back a 4th time and isn't fixed, WI Lemon Law kicks in.

Out of curiosity, what rim size?  This has been becoming an issue in a lot of brands of cars and trucks now that so many vehicles are going to large rims and shorter tires, especially when they get lifted or leveled.  I know that some of the early 4th Gen rams were having a similar problems with the crappy factory tires when they had 20's instead of the 17's my truck has.