Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What 1/2 ton are you towing with? (no diesels and 2014+ newer)

Fman

On 12/14/2016 at 5:16 PM, That Guy said:

This thread has suddenly become relevant to my interests as I'm in need of a tow vehicle again. 

Anyone towing a 22'+ boat with the 2.7 ecoboost F150? They're running some nice deals on F150's now and most have this engine it seems. 

Just used mine yesterday in a 20 ft and it was a joke for the 2.7, got 12000 off would have been 13000 if I had owned a Ford for loyalty incentive, loaded XLT missing only 40,20,40 console and no 20's" as normal invoice XLT options plus OEM mud guards, wheel well liners  , $32780 before tax and trade and they over credited my trade by $530 over KBB fair trade( $2000 on a 2000ram 1500 w/168000 mi.), their giving them away

Looks good, glad to hear it tows well. I actually picked one up last week as well, won't get a chance to tow with it for a few months due to winter but loving the truck so far.

Here's mine....31768894675_fd545c4e7e_z.jpg

10 hours ago, That Guy said:

Looks good, glad to hear it tows well. I actually picked one up last week as well, won't get a chance to tow with it for a few months due to winter but loving the truck so far.

Here's mine....31768894675_fd545c4e7e_z.jpg

Sexy, sport model, look at my mudguards and wheel well liners, perfect for your black and red setup, good quality and cheap from Ford accessories.com

I love setting the cruise put it in tow haul and watching this thing go up the big bridges or flyovers with the trailer attached, tranny and motor made for this and no hunting and no over revving, just smooth pulling and smooth occasional downshifts, and that stock stereo with sync three is the bomb, can't wait to get my apple chip USB hub for Apple CarPlay 

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 2 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:32 PM, Fman said:

After months of searching I finally located a 2014 Platinum 5.7L 4x4 that had everything I was looking for.... coming from a 2004 Sequoia I feel like I am in a time warp... the seller was about as meticulous as me!  Looking forward to giving it a workout this summer towing the boat.  Only mod I am planning is shooting Line X on the nerf bars, not a huge fan of the chrome look.  Has a 2" leveling kit w/moto metal wheels on 33" tires.

20170302_165941_zpsit48whqn.jpg

Congrats! That's a good looking rig! Seems like patience paid off!

• 2 months later...
On 10/22/2016 at 4:15 PM, oldjeep said:

LOL @IXFE around here you.would need a flatbill and a lot of tattoos to be driving those. Typically all the brodozers up here are diesel and you almost never see one towing anything. But to each their own. Any of the 1/2 tons these days are ten times the trucks of the 90's and will be fine.

And when you do, they look like they're doing a wheelie.

On 10/26/2016 at 8:19 AM, oldjeep said:

Out of curiosity, what rim size?  This has been becoming an issue in a lot of brands of cars and trucks now that so many vehicles are going to large rims and shorter tires, especially when they get lifted or leveled.  I know that some of the early 4th Gen rams were having a similar problems with the crappy factory tires when they had 20's instead of the 17's my truck has.

Bringing this back up, now have 11k miles on the truck.  Vibration is pretty much gone.  Not sure if things are just "wearing in" but I hardly ever notice any abnormal vibes now.

Averaging 18.8 MPG through the life of the truck so far.  Not too bad considering my penchant for acceleration and cruising at 80-85 MPH.

On 3/2/2017 at 8:32 PM, Fman said:

After months of searching I finally located a 2014 Platinum 5.7L 4x4 that had everything I was looking for.... coming from a 2004 Sequoia I feel like I am in a time warp... the seller was about as meticulous as me!  Looking forward to giving it a workout this summer towing the boat.  Only mod I am planning is shooting Line X on the nerf bars, not a huge fan of the chrome look.  Has a 2" leveling kit w/moto metal wheels on 33" tires.

20170302_165941_zpsit48whqn.jpg

Great looking truck! I don't know if it's the crew cab or not but on my double cab the 275/70/18's (33.2") don't look like they fill out the wheel wells as much as yours and I'm running roughly 2" level as well. Still looks a ton better than stock, but this fall I'll be putting 35x12.5x18's on. Not looking forward to the mileage and performance drop but I also don't put a lot of miles on it.

I don't know how much you tow, but my only complaint with the truck and towing is the tiny fuel tank! I absolutely cannot pass a gas station when towing. My buddy's F-150 has something like a 34-36 gallon tank and I'm jealous of that!

Edited by jetskipro550
12 minutes ago, jetskipro550 said:

I don't know how much you tow, but my only complaint with the truck and towing is the tiny fuel tank! I absolutely cannot pass a gas station when towing. My buddy's F-150 has something like a 34-36 gallon tank and I'm jealous of that!

Starting with the 2016's you could get a 38 gallon gas tank, that is one of the main reasons I upgraded from my 2010 but hated losing the reclining rear seats.

42 minutes ago, jetskipro550 said:

Great looking truck! I don't know if it's the crew cab or not but on my double cab the 275/70/18's (33.2") don't look like they fill out the wheel wells as much as yours and I'm running roughly 2" level as well. Still looks a ton better than stock, but this fall I'll be putting 35x12.5x18's on. Not looking forward to the mileage and performance drop but I also don't put a lot of miles on it.

I don't tow long distance much but I'm sure when towing its 8-9 mpg.  The 2017's have the larger 38 gallon fuel tank which is really nice.  I bought this truck with 32k miles on it and saved quite a bit from a 2017 but I did sacrifice the larger fuel tank.  Other than that they are pretty much identical from a 2014 to 2017.

The previous owner put the fancy wheels on it with a 2" leveling kit.  Seems like a good fit so far.  He also added the subwoofer behind the back seat, tinted the windows, bed cover and added weather tech floor mats.

So far I am super impressed with the truck, it's having no problems with my LSV even pulling some grades.  A big upgrade from my prior 2004 sequoia.  Admittingly I am a Toyota loyalist, all my experiences lead to bulletproof vehicles.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jwl019 said:

Starting with the 2016's you could get a 38 gallon gas tank, that is one of the main reasons I upgraded from my 2010 but hated losing the reclining rear seats.

That is good to know! My next truck will either be another Tundra...or...I'll step up my tow game and get a 1 ton diesel...I still have a few more years to make my decision though as my 2010 only has 57k miles on it :)