Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What 1/2 ton are you towing with? (no diesels and 2014+ newer)

Fman

I am in the market for a new truck, I have owned a 2004 Sequoia for the past 10 years and now its time to move on to something new especially going into the heavier LSV.  I am going out to test drive a Tundra today.  I am also going to be looking at the Chevy 1500 and Ford F150.  I am partial to Toyota for the reliability and longevity these vehicles offer because I keep my vehicles for quite awhile (unlike my boats).  I can't get past the look of the Dodge so I am going to have to take a pass on these trucks, I need to like the way it looks.  I am going to test drive the Chevy and Ford as well, looking for 2014+ and newer rigs.  I am not interested in a diesel.

If you have any thoughts about the tow vehicle you are using, likes, dislikes, regrets I would like to hear about it.

Edited by Fman

I was in the same boat 2 years ago. I had just sold my 2005 Toyota Tundra 4.6 after owning it for 10 years. Oil, brakes, tires. That's all I did for 100,000 trouble free miles. While looking for a new truck, I compared the new F150 to the new tundra. The main reason I bought another tundra ('14 Platinum), was because I felt if I bought the ford, and had any sort of problems, I would kick my own arse for making such a stupid decision. Both trucks are awesome, but I just couldn't turn my back on my old friend. 2 years later, and 60,000 miles (work truck) I am super happy with my decision. Having a company gas card helps take care of my mpg worries. 

Also, I put a 3/1 kit and 35's on the tundra. It's meant to be lifted. And I don't think there is a better looking truck. 

• Like 3

Ford is offering 0% financing up to 72 months right now on all 2016 F-150s.  That is a hard deal to pass up, free money.  Im going to test drive them all this week and see how that goes.

Edited by Fman
1 hour ago, Anderson24 said:

I was in the same boat 2 years ago. I had just sold my 2005 Toyota Tundra 4.6 after owning it for 10 years. Oil, brakes, tires. That's all I did for 100,000 trouble free miles. While looking for a new truck, I compared the new F150 to the new tundra. The main reason I bought another tundra ('14 Platinum), was because I felt if I bought the ford, and had any sort of problems, I would kick my own arse for making such a stupid decision. Both trucks are awesome, but I just couldn't turn my back on my old friend. 2 years later, and 60,000 miles (work truck) I am super happy with my decision. Having a company gas card helps take care of my mpg worries. 

Also, I put a 3/1 kit and 35's on the tundra. It's meant to be lifted. And I don't think there is a better looking truck. 

Any pics of your truck?  Did you look at the Limited?  What made you go Platinum.

Well, you eliminated the number one tow vehicle. Second choice would be a 6.2 chev, third a Ford 5.0 (or ecoboost if you dont keep a long time) and last place the Toyota. If you are considering leveling kits and big tires then pick whatever looks prettiest to you because that really screws up the functionality as a tow vehicle.

Edited by oldjeep
6 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Well, you eliminated the number one tow vehicle. Second choice would be a 6.2 chev, third a Ford and last place the Toyota. If you are considering leveling kits and big tires then pick whatever looks prettiest to you because that really screws up the functionality as a tow vehicle.

Meh... I don't really agree with this statement. My leveled F150 Ecoboost was the best tow rig I've ever had. I did 2.5" up front and 1" in the rear. I did the math... This made the truck sit perfectly level with the LSV hooked up. 

We traded that truck in for a better family hauler... 2015 Yukon Denali with the new DI 6.2L. Day to day it's a better ride for my wife. But boy do I miss that F-150 Ecoboost every time we hook up the boat. 

20150619_084502_zpskcdb6p4g.jpg

• Like 2
Just now, IXFE said:

The only reason trucks come with those pizza cutter tires is to appease the EPA. Besides, I stopped tracking mpg's a loooong time ago.  

Life is short and gas is cheap... Have fun!

um, no. You reduce your effective gear ratio with big tires which reduces the tow rating. Now if you change trucks at 40k you never get to experience the damage you are doing, but if you keep them long term it is the difference between lots of repairs and none. 

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

um, no. You reduce your effective gear ratio with big tires which reduces the tow rating. Now if you change trucks at 40k you never get to experience the damage you are doing, but if you keep them long term it is the difference between lots of repairs and none. 

Okay dude. You win

Trav, I don't think you can go wrong with either the Tundra or the F150, I like the looks of both. We need a lot of space so I'd lean F150 as I felt the cab was more spacious. 

Leveled trucks doesn't affect the ride, and I actually feel mine rides better because it has a wider stance. level kit did not affect the warranty either.

It's a bummer most OEMs have dropped the 100k warranty tho. Just one more thing to upcharge.

• Like 3

When I test drove all the half tons a few years ago, I liked the tundra the best. I still think a crew max would be a great truck. In fact every once in a while I contemplate trading my diesel in for one since I don't tow very heavy any more and my truck will be out of warranty next week. 

2 hours ago, Fman said:

Ford is offering 0% financing up to 72 months right now on all 2016 F-150s.  That is a hard deal to pass up, free money.  Im going to test drive them all this week and see how that goes.

It's only free, if by taking it, doesn't eliminate other incentives.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Anderson24 said:

My "non-Toyota" truck is at 135k with no issues.  100% of the time it's being used, it's towing a trailer, not an easy life.  My point is, you don't have to get a Toyota to go trouble free.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

um, no. You reduce your effective gear ratio with big tires which reduces the tow rating....

Why do tractors have giant tires and wheels if larger reduces towing capacity?

1 minute ago, Bozboat said:

They have larger tires for better traction in loose dirt/mud.  They come with gear ratios to compensate for the large diameter tires.

1 minute ago, Bozboat said:

because they match the gear ratio in the differential and trans to the factory tire size. Same reason we stick 5.38 gears in jeeps to replace the 3.73 to 4.10 gears when going to larger tires. Now that gear change takes care of most of the wear and tear on the trans and engine it still leads to premature ball joint, tie rod, unit bearing, brake and in the case of ifs - cv joint failure. 

34 minutes ago, MadMan said:

My "non-Toyota" truck is at 135k with no issues.  100% of the time it's being used, it's towing a trailer, not an easy life.  My point is, you don't have to get a Toyota to go trouble free.

Correct. Never said non-toyota's aren't trouble-free. (That's a whole lotta double negatives). My point was... For me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

LOL @IXFE around here you.would need a flatbill and a lot of tattoos to be driving those. Typically all the brodozers up here are diesel and you almost never see one towing anything. But to each their own. Any of the 1/2 tons these days are ten times the trucks of the 90's and will be fine.

You eliminated my first choice.  The RAM 1500 is a great truck.

2nd choice would be a Chevy 6.2.  The Toyota wouldn't even make my list.  There is a reason they only have minuscule market share.  Ford/Chevy/RAM are all better trucks.