Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fram Oil Filters

What is the Fram equivilant to the Penzoil PZ3. Or if anyone can recomend an alternative readily available locally. I have a 98 VLX with the 325 horse Monsoon. Thanks

What is the Fram equivilant to the Penzoil PZ3. Or if anyone can recomend an alternative readily available locally. I have a 98 VLX with the 325 horse Monsoon. Thanks

The Wix filter # is 51069

The Ac Delco # is PF25

The Fram # is HM30

Penn. PZ3, NAPA gold 1069, AC PF25

Penske PN30, Fram PH30, Puro. L20049

Castrol CM30, Motorcraft FL10,

Quaker State QS30, Wix 51069

They are better at marketing than filtering. Everyone of the filter studies I've seen had fram at the very bottom. I don't think one oil change is probably a big deal - and the boat oil doesn't get as dirty (it seems to me)

But I steer clear of the Fram filters here is a link to one of the elaborate filter studies http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Hope that helps

This is out of that report.

Filters To Avoid

The following list of filters have known problems. You will see well-known names here and will probably be disappointed. This is because many of these brands have stopped making their own filters and buy from a common manufacturer.

Fram Extra Guard

Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow. I had one of these filters fail in my previous car. The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circulating through my system. The oil passage to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it.

Fram Double Guard

Another bad filter idea brought to you by your friends at Fram. The filter itself is a slightly improved design over the Fram Extra Guard, but still uses the same filter element. It has a silicone anti-drainback valve, a quality pressure relief valve, and enough inlet holes for good flow. The big problem is that they are trying to cash in on the Slick 50 craze. They impregnate the filter element with bits of Teflon like that found in Slick 50. As with Slick 50, Teflon is a solid and does not belong in an engine. It cannot get into the parts of the engine that oil can and therefore does nothing. Also, as the filter gets dirty, it ends up filtering the Teflon right out. Dupont (the manufacturer of Teflon) does not recommend Teflon for use in internal combustion engines. Please do not waste your money on this filter.

Penzoil

This filter is a Fram! It is the exact same design as the Fram Extra Guard filter and it is junk. On the up side, it costs $1 less than the Fram version.

Quaker State

This is another Fram Extra Guard that I have seen at K-mart. It used to be a Purolator, but Quaker State is now owned/controlled by Penzoil...

NAPA stores around here have Fram filters and NAPA gold filters on the counter that come apart. There's not much inside a Fram filter.

i've been using the Fram's for years in all my vehicles (2 MCs and 2 BUs included) with never a problem, YMMV. i did blow an engine in a jeep once, and guess what, that one DIDN'T have a fram in it...

Edited by jgouveia3
i've been using the Fram's for years in all my vehicles (2 MCs and 2 BUs included) with never a problem, YMMV. i did blow an engine in a jeep once, and guess what, that one DIDN'T have a fram in it...

The kind of damage an inferior oil filter causes will take years to become apparent.

Edited by LS-One

The kind of damage an inferior oil filter causes will take years to become apparent.

13 years on a Toyota 4-runner, over 200k miles, 12 years on an MC prostar 190 (and i still see both of those around today)...

I guess not, if the shoe fits....

Basically, if the threads match and the can has approximately the same volume, I think all filters are relatively the same.

Good Lord I hope I haven't been using an incorrect filter. I will say that a PH5 holds more oil than a PZ3. It is like, very big. Not diesel big, but big. Has anyone ever used this filter? Does a can too BIG ever hurt?

• 3 weeks later...
They are better at marketing than filtering. Everyone of the filter studies I've seen had fram at the very bottom. I don't think one oil change is probably a big deal - and the boat oil doesn't get as dirty (it seems to me)

But I steer clear of the Fram filters here is a link to one of the elaborate filter studies http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Hope that helps

Thats some good stats on filters thnx Sac Rat......

I knew NAPA & WIX had decent products despite their lack of fancy paint jobs and total lack of marketing!!

Napa Gold it is from now on!!!!

Fram has that cool easy grip on the bottom to help get the filters on and off...I know they arn't the best but I used to use them on my old 4-runner cause it was PITA to get to the filter Mad.gif and the fram grip helped a TON!

For the money, Napa's Gold 1069 is hard to beat. The only filter I will put on my boat - period. The Mobil One product is good but way over-priced. My $0.02.

Dave

Does the 05 monsoon use the same filter? I have had the moblie service do my oil changes but I think I'm going to start doing it myself. I had bell aqua do it, now that I've passed my 200hrs. service I will do, especially when the 200 hrs. service was $675.00 Crazy.gif

What about air filters? I have kept an eye on mine and it is not dirty and it is not on the factory service with an oil change, so when do you change it?

Fram has that cool easy grip on the bottom to help get the filters on and off...I know they arn't the best but I used to use them on my old 4-runner cause it was PITA to get to the filter Mad.gif and the fram grip helped a TON!

I've recently started running K&N Oil filters on a lot of my stuff, expecially the ones with synthetic oil and longer service periods. Definitely will be going on the BU next change as well. The bottom of the filter has a 1" nut welded on :)

Here is cross reference for there Marine grade filters: K&N Marine Oil filters

oilfiltercutout.jpg

Edited by stewart
Does the 05 monsoon use the same filter? I have had the moblie service do my oil changes but I think I'm going to start doing it myself. I had bell aqua do it, now that I've passed my 200hrs. service I will do, especially when the 200 hrs. service was $675.00 Crazy.gif

What about air filters? I have kept an eye on mine and it is not dirty and it is not on the factory service with an oil change, so when do you change it?

The air filter on your monsoon is actually a K&N air filter. No need to change it. If is startes to looks dirty, just go down to your local motorcycle shop or Kragen and get a K&N Filter kit. It includes a special cleaner and special filter element oil. Then you'll be G2G.

K&N Air Filter Cleaning directions

I've recently started running K&N Oil filters on a lot of my stuff, expecially the ones with synthetic oil and longer service periods. Definitely will be going on the BU next change as well. The bottom of the filter has a 1" nut welded on :)

Here is cross reference for there Marine grade filters: K&N Marine Oil filters

oilfiltercutout.jpg

I just hope it filters better than the K&N air filters. I've heard a lot of bad about them.