Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best new wakeboat feature of 2017?

DarkSide

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I'd still love to see mechanically how that system is built

2 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

It is literally a simple linkage based system, consisting of two tie rods linking to the main rudder arm. It's the simplest "system" in the world.

Interesting, as the patent talks a lot about an electronically controlled, electrically actuated system based on steering angle, drive position, speed, etc.  Having said that, I didn't read it word for word.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, DarkSide said:

I surf almost exclusively so i agree displacement!   The G's are made this way!  The new RI257 is 6150lb dry, so i don't know what they are doing to add the extra weight.  Extra Billet? No idea, maybe the Roswell towers are freaking heavy??  But something somewhere weighs a lot.

The G wave is both side sweet even with just the2013  factory sacs, of course it grows nicely with a crowd

Sorry, this has turned not where I had intended it to.   Absolutely buy whatever you want, and spend your cash on whatever you like.  Im 30 and bought my boat when I was 25.  It wasnt ultralux, although I could have afforded it on a longer term at essentially the same price when considering I bought mine on a 5 year loan.  At that point, I definitely couldnt afford a HD style truck to pull a 6000lb boat.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.  This is the same conversation thats happened numerous times about people who buy brand new wakesetters and dont buy a lift to go with.  Its tough to assume these people have the money for it.  

As to being able to ride it.  Id love to see the average G buyer sacking it up and wakeboarding behind it.  I feel youve got a very small window in which thats feasible, and Im not it that anymore.  I cant afford to tear another ACL wakeboarding, so a G series isnt necessary, although 5 years ago, that would have been a sick boat.  As I said before, surfing has kinda changed the dynamic of whos buying these boats and using them which is awesome to see.  All I was trying to say with that comment was its a shame that now that I could comfortably afford to buy a G, I no longer have the knees to use it.  Not many things out there in the world that are like this.  I could maybe relate it to buying a Ferrari on a suspended license.  I mean, you could go let er rip, but it might but you in the clink.  22 year old me is crying on the inside right now know that 30 year old me would pass on taking a set behind a loaded out G.

Just now, DarkSide said:

This is where the shift is, I interpret  @05hammerhead still has the belief that fully utizing means wakeboarding.   

I am polar opposite, if i never put a wakeboard on again, i could die a happy man.  However I am chasing the "ultimate" wave.  Waves that would have been considered stellar 4 years ago are now the norm.   From a certain perspective i can see the point, i see a new wakeboat, with people surfing right off the platform, where the total goal is to drop the rope and drink a beer.... It doesn't frustrate me, but i do wonder WHY???  

End of the day it is about the smiles, one of my absolute favorite uses of my wake makin monster is Pulling a ^$!"!*#/;#> tube around all day at wake the world.... so its not how you use it that is as important as THAT you use it! 

Yup, thats why I noted a few times that surfing has changed this mentality over the recent years.  Surfgate - Gamechanger. :P.  I would be interested in seeing how some of the surf exclusive boats(Centurion, x46) compare against the wakeboard monsters like the G.  I remember when the G first came out how much people complained about how bad they surfed compared to a 23LSV, but they were definitely the boat to catch for wakeboarding.

19 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Sorry, this has turned not where I had intended it to.   Absolutely buy whatever you want, and spend your cash on whatever you like.  Im 30 and bought my boat when I was 25.  It wasnt ultralux, although I could have afforded it on a longer term at essentially the same price when considering I bought mine on a 5 year loan.  At that point, I definitely couldnt afford a HD style truck to pull a 6000lb boat.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.  This is the same conversation thats happened numerous times about people who buy brand new wakesetters and dont buy a lift to go with.  Its tough to assume these people have the money for it.  

As to being able to ride it.  Id love to see the average G buyer sacking it up and wakeboarding behind it.  I feel youve got a very small window in which thats feasible, and Im not it that anymore.  I cant afford to tear another ACL wakeboarding, so a G series isnt necessary, although 5 years ago, that would have been a sick boat.  As I said before, surfing has kinda changed the dynamic of whos buying these boats and using them which is awesome to see.  All I was trying to say with that comment was its a shame that now that I could comfortably afford to buy a G, I no longer have the knees to use it.  Not many things out there in the world that are like this.  I could maybe relate it to buying a Ferrari on a suspended license.  I mean, you could go let er rip, but it might but you in the clink.  22 year old me is crying on the inside right now know that 30 year old me would pass on taking a set behind a loaded out G.

In my defense... 1. If you can afford the toy, but can't afford the rest of owning it, then you should not by the toy.. Yes, people do that every day with houses, toys, cars, etc... 

2. If you buy a heavy boat/trailer/what ever and have to tow, you don't have to buy new... just buy the right tool for the right application.

3. I would say that over 90% of the ultimate wake machine owners do not use them to there fullest extent.

4. My state of age is a state of mind... I still board... I still throw tricks... I have had knee surgery as well (MCL.. Not ACL)... I have multiple friends in my age group (35 - 45) that have had ACL and MCL surgeries and still throw down.

5. Yes, big percentage of the buyers are families that Mom and Dad got to enjoy with their kids.

Sorry if I came came out harsh.. but you called me an old fart  :whistle:  j/k.... Yes, people will buy what they want and some can't afford it and cheap out other things... when they should have down scaled on what purchase was.. I can afford a Ferrari.. till it has to go into the shop.. Or I want my steak dinner.. 

Cheers... I was just stating my opinion... now go enjoy yourself a set :cheers:

• Like 2
Just now, The Hulk said:

TUBING IS STILL ALIVE!!!! :rockon:

wakeboarding on the other hand.... :( haha. 

HAHA :P allrighty @The Hulk... Come join us so you can be the tuber with the camera while we board :yahoo:

• Like 3

Use my boat to full potential?

maaaan y'all be crazy,... i just park that big ol pretty thang at the sandbar and chill all day. Coulda bought a pontoon for that but my 25lsv looks way cooler... 

• Like 3
Just now, kerpluxal said:

HAHA :P allrighty @The Hulk... Come join us so you can be the tuber with the camera while we board :yahoo:

i miss barrel rolling tube wars!

sounds like a plan but at 10mph i'll be able to film and drink at the same time so u got a deal!

17 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

i miss barrel rolling tube wars!

sounds like a plan but at 10mph i'll be able to film and drink at the same time so u got a deal!

Can't guarantee that 10 thing... but no wet suit required yet here :yahoo:

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

In my defense... 1. If you can afford the toy, but can't afford the rest of owning it, then you should not by the toy.. Yes, people do that every day with houses, toys, cars, etc... 

2. If you buy a heavy boat/trailer/what ever and have to tow, you don't have to buy new... just buy the right tool for the right application.

3. I would say that over 90% of the ultimate wake machine owners do not use them to there fullest extent.

4. My state of age is a state of mind... I still board... I still throw tricks... I have had knee surgery as well (MCL.. Not ACL)... I have multiple friends in my age group (35 - 45) that have had ACL and MCL surgeries and still throw down.

5. Yes, big percentage of the buyers are families that Mom and Dad got to enjoy with their kids.

Sorry if I came came out harsh.. but you called me an old fart  :whistle:  j/k.... Yes, people will buy what they want and some can't afford it and cheap out other things... when they should have down scaled on what purchase was.. I can afford a Ferrari.. till it has to go into the shop.. Or I want my steak dinner.. 

Cheers... I was just stating my opinion... now go enjoy yourself a set :cheers:

You are damn near right in line with my thoughts.  I wish I wasnt such a p*ssy and would ride a little harder, but I just hurt a lot more now after a set of trying new tricks and damn sure dont want to try them behind a loaded out M235, at 24mph and an 80' line.  That being said, I dont mind riding that M235 surf wake one bit.

Just now, 05hammerhead said:

You are damn near right in line with my thoughts.  I wish I wasnt such a p*ssy and would ride a little harder, but I just hurt a lot more now after a set of trying new tricks and damn sure dont want to try them behind a loaded out M235, at 24mph and an 80' line.  That being said, I dont mind riding that M235 surf wake one bit.

:( My day on the M235 was just surfing... I wanted to board.... but I let all the youngins go first since I knew I would have plenty more times behind it... Then second time the water was trashed... so just surfed... Don't get me wrong... KILLER surfwave and a blast to ride... but I wanted to board it :(

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

I guess I should have been specific and said several boats. As dockstar is a system, I ASSumed that most would have understood that. I also did not say it was a huge problem, just that several of the systems have issues. Study it well and then think about what has to be done to service/repair it.

I also know that most dealer meetings I have been to have dealer principals and salesmen present and not exactly a lot of the service side.

That is true. Nobody from warranty or CS departments were there that I know of. I was just surprised to hear of a problem, but none of the dealers complaining of anything...... And they had plenty of other gripes with this, or that.

1 hour ago, formulaben said:

Interesting, as the patent talks a lot about an electronically controlled, electrically actuated system based on steering angle, drive position, speed, etc.  Having said that, I didn't read it word for word.

Honestly, I could be wrong. I didn't tear into the helm or engine compartment of a DS equipped boat, or anything like that..... But that was the way it was explained, with an emphasis on how simple and bulletproof it was. That said, I should dive in to the engine compartment of the XT23 they just got in, and investigate.....

Edited by TenTwentyOne
Just now, TenTwentyOne said:

That is true. Nobody from warranty or CS departments were there that I know of. I was just surprised to hear of a problem, but none of the dealers complaining of anything...... And they had plenty of other gripes with this, or that.

Honestly, I could be wrong. I didn't tear into the helm or engine compartment of a DS equipped boat, or anything like that..... But that was the way it was explained, with an emphasis on how simple and bulletproof it was. That said, I should dive in to the engine compartment of the XT23 they just got in, and investigate.....

Please do! Us mechanical geeks gots to know. 

• Like 2
Just now, TenTwentyOne said:

From my understanding of it.. and I could be wrong.. is that it is 3 rudders... two before the prop and one after, all controlled by the steering linkage...I did not tear into either... but that was the explanation,

5 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

Marvel that 150,000 boats are towed for each outing? I have no choice. There is no marina on my lake and the only way to keep boat on water is to have waterfront property. Plus, I go to many different lakes as most do that I know. The lake my dad is on you either trailer or keep boat at Marina.. 90% of the "Wake Boats" there are towed.

Just a different paradigm.  It was in the context of tolerating a 6500+ pound truck as a daily driver to tow one of these newer big honkin' wake boats.  I know most wake/ski boats are towed, but most do not require a truck bigger than a half ton.  Half ton trucks make find daily drivers, 3/4 ton trucks are a whole different animal.  Do you estimate that most G's or M235's or other 6000+ pound boats are towed for every outing?  I have only seen one on a trailer around here, and we are in the heart of wakeboat country.  I'm only saying that just because trucks big enough to tow them are readily available does not mean the size is not a deterrent to some folks.

52 minutes ago, 67King said:

Just a different paradigm.  It was in the context of tolerating a 6500+ pound truck as a daily driver to tow one of these newer big honkin' wake boats.  I know most wake/ski boats are towed, but most do not require a truck bigger than a half ton.  Half ton trucks make find daily drivers, 3/4 ton trucks are a whole different animal.  Do you estimate that most G's or M235's or other 6000+ pound boats are towed for every outing?  I have only seen one on a trailer around here, and we are in the heart of wakeboat country.  I'm only saying that just because trucks big enough to tow them are readily available does not mean the size is not a deterrent to some folks.

Around here, yes. I can afford a g23, lakefront is out of the question (takes around 2m to get on the water near me) and there are no marinas close. 

On 10/28/2016 at 5:09 PM, TenTwentyOne said:

From what I have heard it is a nightmare to repair as you have to pull the motor and transmission to do anything. If anything is out of adjustment an engine pull ends up happening again.

On 10/28/2016 at 8:13 PM, 67King said:

Guess that I am use to seeing big trucks on a daily basis. All my friends that have Gs have .75 ton truck to pull with, and it is there daily drivers as well... and 75% of the boats towed here are with diesel trucks.