Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New rack option coming from roswell

vanamp

Not sure if it will work for larger boards but good to see another option. Maybe more competition will result in cheaper racks.   My stock axis racks are empty 90% of the time because only one of our boards fit.   I hope these are reasonably priced. 

http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/all-new-roswell-triton-rack

Isn't that a pretty close knock off of the Comptech / old mastercraft?

I spoke with roswell about their old air bladder based rack and they said they have a new clamping one hitting the market soon. 

Sure would be nice to have more competition / choices in the clamping board rack realm. 

• 4 months later...

The Ptm clamping racks are around $4,000 for a pair.  They are expensive but it's good to see some competition in the non-bungee rack market.  Hopefully prices will come down a bit. 

14 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Google is my friend. 

https://www.wakemakers.com/roswell-triton-board-rack.html

Looks cool, but I am curious what adapters may be needed to use on a G3.  I like the vertical orientation, but these may approach $4K a pair as well depending on other hardware needed to make them work.  

oh God. I didnt even realize that was $1300 a piece. 

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I just bought a pair of the Tritons on eBay for $900 each.  Looks like I'll have another $600 in adapter plates ($220 per pair) and swivels ($190 each).  All in for $2,400.  Beats the heck out of $3,800 for the PTMs.  Big plus for me is not wrecking $700 boards because we forgot to spin the racks in before pulling into my boat lift.   Crunched my Doomswell and my buddy's Ronix in one swoop.  Both were very repairable, but it still suuuuuuucked to hear that crunch.:cry:  They almost fit between the uprights...almost.  It appears that the Tritons will keep the boards out of danger in the event of similar oversights.

I thought these racks were sweet and would be awesome when i first saw them. My impressions changed very quickly. Super hard to use. Hard and awkward to lift the bar up (has a lot of resistance) and you have to lift the board out with your other hand. On the Nautiuqe I used them on you couldn’t even swing them in and take them out because the pull tab upward hit the speakers. So you have to reach out and over the boat to get them out. Defeats he purpose of the vertical rack if you ask me. They are also super unstable and shake like none other... 

Edit: How do you include videos from an iPhone?

Edited by Suggy

@Suggy, they must not have had them adjusted correctly. I can get my biggest boards (Inland Surfer Blue Lake 5’ 4”, Phase5 Swell 58”, and Doomswell Nubstep 60”) in easily, one-handed.  You don’t have to lift the retainer to set the board in.  I just set the board in with the retainer still down, then the lifted the retainer, flipped the board under it, and set the retainer back down on the board.  Same on the way out lift the retainer, pop the board outward, let down the retainer and then pull your board out.  I thought the spring pressure was very reasonable.  Pretty sure my wife or older kids could easily handle it.

Swinging in on the Malibu is easy with plenty of clearance from all of the videos and pics I’ve seen. Not sure how it would be with two sets of speakers on the G3.5, but with one set, there’s no issue. Ironically, Nautique offers these as an option, but the setup looks to work way better on the Malibu tower based on the tower shape and position on the boat. Nautique position seems to leave a pretty big blind spot for the driver. Malibu sits further back.  

The other nice thing is that even with two big boards with long fins in the rack, the fins don’t interfere. Can’t say that for the PTMs or the bungee racks. 

My favorite part is the width with boards inside.  Full, it sticks out about the same distance as the standard spinner racks empty.  So in theory, and I emphasize “in theory”, I don’t have to spin my full racks in to get into my lift. That’s huge, especially if I’m coming in alone after dropping everyone else at their docks.

Can’t speak to the vibration issue, since I haven’t had them out on the water yet, but they seem pretty solid as a unit. I’ll know more in 4 months when the ice goes out.

I like what I’ve seen/felt/tried so far though. 

2DBF7E3D-D945-43F2-8420-99DD49B8782B.jpeg

A29B4759-E2CE-4A2E-ACF2-0CB6CB3F69DD.jpeg

My concern would be a larger obstruction in my view of what's around me.  With the boards horizontal, I feel like I can sneak a peek around them.  With them on their sides like that, I'm not so sure. 

• 2 weeks later...

@ajgear good to know! I did not have a ton of time to play around with them, especially with a board in them either. I do like that your fins don't touch though. My two experiences I had with them were not good. Like I said, when I first saw them, I was excited and thought they'd be sweet. I'm assuming if you put wakeboards in there, with the binding sticking out it'd stick out about the same as if you had a horizontal rack. You think there is enough clearance to put a wakeboard on the inside one and for it to be able to swivel still with the boots facing in?

@Suggy, I can't say with certainty that the binding would or wouldn't hit since I haven't had them on the boat yet.  I'm going to guess that the binding will hit the tower on the inside rack.  That's where the mounting position on the Nautique probably works better for these, since it mounts straight back off of the rear edge of the tower.  I'm a slalom and surf guy, so I never even thought about the board bindings.

• 1 month later...

Curious if anyone else has any input on these board racks. They seem expensive but its expensive when you damage your surfboard or vinyl seat get damaged from a board.

They pass the looks test but functional I’m not sold, and will stick with the PTM clamps for the foreseeable.

i played with one on a G25 at the sac boat show and getting boards in and out was awkward.

i like no more wet boards dripping into the boat tho.

On 1/9/2018 at 10:13 PM, ajgear said:

@Suggy, they must not have had them adjusted correctly. I can get my biggest boards (Inland Surfer Blue Lake 5’ 4”, Phase5 Swell 58”, and Doomswell Nubstep 60”) in easily, one-handed.  You don’t have to lift the retainer to set the board in.  I just set the board in with the retainer still down, then the lifted the retainer, flipped the board under it, and set the retainer back down on the board.  Same on the way out lift the retainer, pop the board outward, let down the retainer and then pull your board out.  I thought the spring pressure was very reasonable.  Pretty sure my wife or older kids could easily handle it.

Swinging in on the Malibu is easy with plenty of clearance from all of the videos and pics I’ve seen. Not sure how it would be with two sets of speakers on the G3.5, but with one set, there’s no issue. Ironically, Nautique offers these as an option, but the setup looks to work way better on the Malibu tower based on the tower shape and position on the boat. Nautique position seems to leave a pretty big blind spot for the driver. Malibu sits further back.  

The other nice thing is that even with two big boards with long fins in the rack, the fins don’t interfere. Can’t say that for the PTMs or the bungee racks. 

My favorite part is the width with boards inside.  Full, it sticks out about the same distance as the standard spinner racks empty.  So in theory, and I emphasize “in theory”, I don’t have to spin my full racks in to get into my lift. That’s huge, especially if I’m coming in alone after dropping everyone else at their docks.

Can’t speak to the vibration issue, since I haven’t had them out on the water yet, but they seem pretty solid as a unit. I’ll know more in 4 months when the ice goes out.

What boards are we looking at?

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2018 at 10:13 PM, ajgear said:

@ajgear Did you get racks for both sides of boat? I was thinking of just one and interested to get an opinion if having it on port or starboard would be more or less obtrusive to view etc? thanks for any info

I love the design, but my only fear is that it will greatly obstruct my view over my shoulder since the boards are now laying on end instead of flat.  Has anyone tried them yet?

Another question, with the design being vertical, can you have a traditional board rack above these or will they interfere with one another limiting you to two boards per side of boat?

3 hours ago, JeffK said:

I love the design, but my only fear is that it will greatly obstruct my view over my shoulder since the boards are now laying on end instead of flat.  Has anyone tried them yet?

For obstructing your view I think it depends on the tower they’re mounted on. In the lower set of a Malibu they would probably suck but the upper would probably be fine. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2018 at 11:24 AM, HPetit said:

What boards are we looking at?

Doomswell Nubstep and Inland Surfer Bluelake.  I've also put the Nub and the Phase5 Swell in.  They're super versatile racks and fit everything I've thrown in them.