Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

how many hrs should an oxygen sensor last

2013 24 LSV...indmar motor

This is the 2nd season with the boat and I have averaged 30 hrs a season. I purchased the boat with 117 hrs and a transferrable warranty and now have 177 hrs. 

Long story short I have had my oxygen sensors clean rotated and or replaced 4 to 6 times. (3 last season and 3 this season)  The dealership worked with Indmar to test and check the prop and the exhaust system and tell me things are fixed but to me this is a recurring issue that is not normal.

My question is how long should an oxygen sensor last? For me it appears I am replacing them at an average of 10 motor hrs. This is my first ski boat and I do not know if that is normal or not.  I try to run the boat at 5500 rpms for a few minutes at the end of the day to clean up any thing that gets on the sensors.

so my question is what is the expectation life cycle of the oxygen sensors? Is this the price of running a ski boat and expected to some degree? or not?

any comments suggestions and or do you think I should trade boat in?

Jim B

3 minutes ago, jimbisch said:

My question is how long should an oxygen sensor last? For me it appears I am replacing them at an average of 10 motor hrs. This is my first ski boat and I do not know if that is normal or not. 

I'm pretty sure you already know the answer to this question.

Since O2 sensors last a hundred thousand miles or more in a car...and since these engines are not that much different than car engines, I would expect the same (or at least very close) life span out of them...hours wise.

But I guess based on the reports on this site that is not true.

Damn, I miss my '02 SSLXi.  Finally got the bucks to get a new boat, but really do not want these headaches with the Cat engines and electronic dashes....among other things.  Wife up my butt to buy a boat, but I just don't feel comfortable doing it right now.  In ten years of owning the SSLXi, I saw my dealer maybe three times for anything unscheduled, and that was all infant mortality type stuff in the first year or so.  Never should have sold that thing.

4 minutes ago, RTS said:

Since O2 sensors last a hundred thousand miles or more in a car...and since these engines are not that much different than car engines, I would expect the same (or at least very close) life span out of them...hours wise.

But I guess based on the reports on this site that is not true.

Damn, I miss my '02 SSLXi.  Finally got the bucks to get a new boat, but really do not want these headaches with the Cat engines and electronic dashes....among other things.  Wife up my butt to buy a boat, but I just don't feel comfortable doing it right now.  In ten years of owning the SSLXi, I saw my dealer maybe three times for anything unscheduled, and that was all infant mortality type stuff in the first year or so.  Never should have sold that thing.

You're preaching to the choir! I have a 98 sunsetter vlx, and I am always scanning here, and looking at newer boats. What always seems to catch my eye on this site, is all the touch screen issues and over engineered crap. I think I like the simplicity of the older boats.