Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winter Service Done - Observations and Questions

Thank you to OldJeep and others for the suggestions a few days back about my first winter service.   Very helpful.

Last night I drained the block and ran antifreeze into the engine.  I noticed a few things while doing this, and would appreciate your feedback...  Note: I have a 2006 Response LXI w/ Monsoon 340 for context

Knock Sensor Stud / block side:
After removing the Knock Sensor Stud to drain the block I noticed a build-up of hardened dark material on the top of the bolt (the end on the inside of the block).  Is this normal?  Should it be replaced?

Knock Sensor Stud / sensor side:
I also noticed a build-up of white material on the sensor side (minerals?).  Is this normal?  Should it be replaced?

Transmission:
To winterize the engine I followed the procedure from the PPT Monsoon 350 video on YouTube.  This boat was a v-drive, and the video shows how to remove/drain the hoses going in and out of the transmission.  Is there a similar procedure for winterizing a non v-drive transmission?  I found smaller hoses going to the transmission from the oil cooler.  Not sure if these are water lines or oil lines, and if winter service is needed.

General winterizing question:
While educating myself on how to winterize, it seems to me that there are a few different schools of practice on how to do this.  Regarding the PPT Monsoon 350 YouTube video, the engine cold, and drained of all water.  Next, antifreeze is introduced by running the engine for 1-2 minutes.  With this option, is there a concern that the thermostat is closed preventing antifreeze from flowing through all routes of the cooling system?  Since I followed a similar procedure I'm concerned that maybe my winter service is not truly complete.

Wouldn't worry about the stuff on either side of the knock sensor studs.

The transmission in the direct drive boats doesn't have any direct water cooling, the cooling comes from the trans fluid cooler.  Those lines you see are transmission fluid not water.

Did you drain your exhaust manifolds?

Did you drain your heater if you have one?

Did you pull the J-hose/pipe  from the engine water pump?  Or the hose/pipe that connects your raw water pump to the trans cooler?

Others use a varying process but I make sure the engine is completely empty of water and then just pour in the antifreeze via the heater hoses and the 2 large thermostat housing hoses.

Edited by oldjeep
10 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Wouldn't worry about the stuff on either side of the knock sensor studs.

The transmission in the direct drive boats doesn't have any direct water cooling, the cooling comes from the trans fluid cooler.  Those lines you see are transmission fluid not water.

Did you drain your exhaust manifolds?

Did you drain your heater if you have one?

Did you pull the J-hose/pipe  from the engine water pump?  Or the hose/pipe that connects your raw water pump to the trans cooler?

Others use a varying process but I make sure the engine is completely empty of water and then just pour in the antifreeze via the heater hoses and the 2 large thermostat housing hoses.

Thanks for the advice on the studs and transmission.

Drain Exhaust Manifolds - Yes

Heater - I blew air through it as suggested in other posts.

J-hose - Yes

Raw Water to Trans Cooler - Yes

...guessing this means I should not be concerned.   Just out of curiosity, since the engine was cold, does this means that antifreeze is missing from some sections of the engine?  I assume this is why you suggest pouring antifreeze into the 2 large thermostat housing hoses.

32 minutes ago, cbekken said:

Thanks for the advice on the studs and transmission.

Drain Exhaust Manifolds - Yes

Heater - I blew air through it as suggested in other posts.

J-hose - Yes

Raw Water to Trans Cooler - Yes

...guessing this means I should not be concerned.   Just out of curiosity, since the engine was cold, does this means that antifreeze is missing from some sections of the engine?  I assume this is why you suggest pouring antifreeze into the 2 large thermostat housing hoses.

Sounds like you are fine

If the engine was completely empty of water then there should be antifreeze everywhere.  I pour antifreeze because I don't want to have to start the engine when winterizing and the hoses are already off as part of my winterizing process, mine is typically done inside my garage.