Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

winterizing, check your block drains

was helping out with a boat today, pulled the knock sensor stud and nothing. No water at all. Poked a screwdriver in there and out comes a bunch of shale like rock flakes and the water I was looking for. Make sure to probe your block drains if the water doesn't come pouring out of there.

Side note, love my new filter wrench - works better than anything I've used before.

• Like 2

It was my dirty engine we were winterizing.  Not sure if it was this exact one but it was this style of filter wrench. 

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Universal-3-Jaw-Oil-Filter-Wrench-HU3JFW/204762449

Thanks oldjeep for teaching me to do this.  Much appreciated.  I'm hoping to push the season into November next year.  

Edited by vanamp
  • Like 2
16 hours ago, oldjeep said:

was helping out with a boat today, pulled the knock sensor stud and nothing. No water at all. Poked a screwdriver in there and out comes a bunch of shale like rock flakes and the water I was looking for. Make sure to probe your block drains if the water doesn't come pouring out of there.

Side note, love my new filter wrench - works better than anything I've used before.

This is the reason I don't install petcocks to make draining easier.

Just now, MadMan said:

This is the reason I don't install petcocks to make draining easier.

It would be pretty impossible to add petcocks to a modern engine since the block drains hold the knock sensors/studs which are removed to drain the motor.

KnockStud_LG.jpg

14 hours ago, vanamp said:

It was my dirty engine we were winterizing.  Not sure if it was this exact one but it was this style of filter wrench. 

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Universal-3-Jaw-Oil-Filter-Wrench-HU3JFW/204762449

Thanks oldjeep for teaching me to do this.  Much appreciated.  I'm hoping to push the season into November next year.  

Huh. I have that same oil wrench and it started crushing the filter when I was trying to remove it. I was planning to take a new filter to the store this weekend and find a cap type wrench head that fits it.

1 minute ago, gobble said:

Huh. I have that same oil wrench and it started crushing the filter when I was trying to remove it. I was planning to take a new filter to the store this weekend and find a cap type wrench head that fits it.

Crushing it is the whole idea of that type of wrench

43 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Rubber strap wrenches like this work great for spin on filters.  Cheap and effective.

https://www.amazon.com/OMNIFilter-OW70-S5-S06-Filter-Housing-Wrench/dp/B009JBRJY6

That is one of the things I used to use until I snapped the rubber strap trying to get the filter off my buddies A20

2 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Sounds like some casting sand still left in there.  Ill bring my boat over tonight so you can check for sand in there too... ;)

Might not find me at home.  Headed for the north shore early tomorrow and have lots of stuff to get done tonight.

5 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Might not find me at home.  Headed for the north shore early tomorrow and have lots of stuff to get done tonight.

I was kidding.  Not a big deal to do it myself. 

On 10/18/2016 at 5:23 PM, oldjeep said:

that is my engine every year. i keep a piece of coat hanger handy to poke around with. 

i am always surprised by how much there is, yet the engine never overheats and the thermostat doesn't get plugged with it.

edit: The other odd thing is that it appears to be only my boat. Other guys that use their boat on the same lake don't have the same problem.

Edited by Chia