Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Throttle problems

I put my bu' in for the first time in the water in a few months due to mechanical problems yesterday. I backed it off the trailer and noticed something was odd with the throttle. It seemed to have a lot of resistance but still functioned fine. I got out of my canal where I put the boat in, gave it some throttle and the engine immediately went to WOT. The throttle had no control over the engine. I could put the boat back into neutral to stop forward motion but the engine would just bounce off the rev limiter. I disengaged the throttle and attempted to regain control by moving the throttle back and forth but no luck. I just turned it off and got a tow in. I didn't want to risk my freshly rebuilt engine and brand new V-drive. Anyone have any ideas?

OK looks like you have a mechanical throttle. So check cable for kinks, have some one operate throttle with engine off while you look at throttle body for movement. Check perfect pass linkage for binding if you have that.

with your description of a hard to move lever and a new engine in guessing improperly installed cable that may have now broken.

Skiers Pier opens at 9:00 so I'm going to give them a call. I had another person move the throttle control so I could look at the engine and the throttle body appeared to have its normal movement which puzzled me at first. I didn't think about checking perfect pass though so I will ask the dealer about that. Would the Perfect Pass linkage hold the engines RPM's in neutral though?

17 minutes ago, blytle473 said:

Skiers Pier opens at 9:00 so I'm going to give them a call. I had another person move the throttle control so I could look at the engine and the throttle body appeared to have its normal movement which puzzled me at first. I didn't think about checking perfect pass though so I will ask the dealer about that. Would the Perfect Pass linkage hold the engines RPM's in neutral though?

It would have to be holding the throttle body open, but it is possible that it could hold the throttle high even in neutral if the linkage was binding.

When you operated the throttle during your check was it still difficult to move?  Is this the first usage since the new engine?

27 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

It would have to be holding the throttle body open, but it is possible that it could hold the throttle high even in neutral if the linkage was binding.

When you operated the throttle during your check was it still difficult to move?  Is this the first usage since the new engine?

I've used it for under 2 hours before now. I had the engine rebuilt, dealer lake tested it, then took delivery, I used it for about 1.5hrs,  V-drive needed to be replaced, replaced V-drive, dealer lake tested it, and used it for under 30 minutes and then throttle issues. It was not nearly as stiff and resistant before the V-drive was replaced.

33 minutes ago, blytle473 said:

I've used it for under 2 hours before now. I had the engine rebuilt, dealer lake tested it, then took delivery, I used it for about 1.5hrs,  V-drive needed to be replaced, replaced V-drive, dealer lake tested it, and used it for under 30 minutes and then throttle issues. It was not nearly as stiff and resistant before the V-drive was replaced.

Hmm, weird.  Guess they could have messed up the cable routing when they pulled the v-drive.  Could also just be a coincidence if it is an old throttle cable and it is just finally failing. I'd trace it back towards the front of the boat as far as you can and make sure you don't see a kink or loop that might be causing an issue for you.  Next check would be to disconnect the throttle body end of cable and see if there is still a lot of resistance moving the lever - that would indicate an issue in the cable or lever and not any binding of the throttle body or PP linkage

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Hmm, weird.  Guess they could have messed up the cable routing when they pulled the v-drive.  Could also just be a coincidence if it is an old throttle cable and it is just finally failing. I'd trace it back towards the front of the boat as far as you can and make sure you don't see a kink or loop that might be causing an issue for you.  Next check would be to disconnect the throttle body end of cable and see if there is still a lot of resistance moving the lever - that would indicate an issue in the cable or lever and not any binding of the throttle body or PP linkage

Just got home and took a look down in the engine and noticed that the throttle body spring has no tension to keep the mechanism back to allow the engine to go at an idle speed. It must've been coincidental because of the fact it occurred after the V-drive came out but ended up having nothing to do with it. As you can see, it is moved into the WOT position while it should be along that screw that acts as a stopper. I think this should solve it. I just pulled it out and is going into the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully this is a quick and easy fix and that this is all that is wrong. 

image1%201_zpszevnta3w.jpg