Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 options (thumbs up or down)/must have

Fman

Bow Pop up lights. Yes

Docking Lights. Yes, we run at night a lot. Most times we are the only ones on the lake. The lake we are on is more like a river with lighted channel markers all the way up and down the lake. The other bouys aren't lit and have reflective tape on them. On moon-less nights, the docking lights reflection is the only way to see those bouys.

Transom lights. I'll still order them but it you're not out at night much it's not worth it.

Stereo. Sounds like you're set on that.

G3 tower for me. Not a fan the the G4 or the price.

Tower Lights. Don't need them.

PnP. Yes, I don't under stand all the complaints of slow fill times, You guys are in a hurry! Slow down and enjoy the day. I haven't timed the fill times but is all that really worth a couple of minutes of your time? The bags should fill after the tanks fill without having to restart the pumps. (this is addressed with the new style tanks, not sure if they are on the new LSV)

Navigation. Probably won't order this one again although we are 99% on our home lake. It shouldn't be on the 7" screen if you don't have it.

PTM mirror. I don't like tower mounted mirrors. The PTM is too wide for windshield mount. It's always in the way.

Carpet is still my choice.

Onboard battery charger. I'll order it again. Not that much savings in the long run and it's setup up right.

Cleats. 2 pair is all we use. If we have a need to tie off the front, I use the bow tie down. We tie up a lot in the evenings. Never had an issue with needing the 3rd cleat. For tie ups we use the balls, docking we use fenders.

Phender Pros. The wife loves them and she is the one that hangs the fenders so I'll get them for her. For tie ups, we use the cleats.

Cover, I have a custom over the top cover made locally. I'll do this again. It's nice to have the tower and speakers under the cover. 

Bimini top, the rope storage is great, the board storage on top is a PITA, don't use that.

Trailer steps. Yes and we do not trailer but when I have to take the boat out of the lake they are nice. 

Gator step on the gunnels. Not a fan. I had 3M clear tape (made for $$! car front ends to stop road dings) on the gunnels of my last boat. Worked great and you could not see it unless you were looking for it. My installer CAD cut it to cover just the gunnels.

410 motor. It's all we need.

2249 prop, I'll change this most likely to get the RPM's down.

13 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

PnP. Yes, I don't under stand all the complaints of slow fill times, You guys are in a hurry! Slow down and enjoy the day. I haven't timed the fill times but is all that really worth a couple of minutes of your time? The bags should fill after the tanks fill without having to restart the pumps. (this is addressed with the new style tanks, not sure if they are on the new LSV)

For me this is an issue because I frequently go before/after work.   I have a small window of time wasting 15 minutes waiting on bags to fill is frustrating.  For $100,000+ sub 5 minutes fill should be standard.   

21 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

In the walk through cubbie.

So.... there's another reason to DIY the charger...

I mean even for someone as slow as me, installing a battery charger isn't more than 30 minute project.

1 hour ago, Fman said:

IXFE, good stuff, you have me thinking about the adjustable seat.  I will have to sit in one to check the height, I'm 6'ish (was 6'1 - I am shrinking with age) and I also like to look through the window. I know it would be good for my wife when she is driving. The PnP is a gamble, I just wish everyone was like "yes it is awesome" but I hear of slow fill times and not all the water draining out.  I'm in contact with WM to see what we can come up with.

SD, that battery charger is a pro sport 12, seems to work fine for standard batteries.  They do give you a plug in recepticle, pretty basic setup.

Darkside, are you interested in selling your upper racks?  If so PM me :)

When are you ordering? Mine should be here in 2 weeks? I went with the wakemakers bags hoping they will fill faster with larger thread size. You could always come out with us to check it out. 

46 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

So.... there's another reason to DIY the charger...

I mean even for someone as slow as me, installing a battery charger isn't more than 30 minute project.

MSRP (who pays that) on the charger from Malibu is ~$100 over the cost on Amazon.

The difference here, IMO, after all the boats I have had, I'm not enjoying the installs as much as I used to. I want to get it and go.

Just now, Ronnie said:

MSRP on the charger from Malibu is ~$100 over the cost on Amazon.

The difference here, IMO, after all the boats I have had, I'm not enjoying the installs as much as I used to. I want to get it and go.

Agree!  Biggest thing for me is my near range focus.  I have to get my head just the right distance from stuff to be able to see it well.  Stupid old eyes.

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

When are you ordering? Mine should be here in 2 weeks? I went with the wakemakers bags hoping they will fill faster with larger thread size. You could always come out with us to check it out. 

I might take you up on this, I was hoping to have my order in by the end of the month.

When filling the hard tanks only with a preset does water enter the bags?  I know my vlx would start overflowing out the side thru hull when rear tanks were full, assuming this water would now be going into the bags?

10 minutes ago, Fman said:

I might take you up on this, I was hoping to have my order in by the end of the month.

When filling the hard tanks only with a preset does water enter the bags?  I know my vlx would start overflowing out the side thru hull when rear tanks were full, assuming this water would now be going into the bags?

I believe starting with the 2016 models there is no PNP fill line to the top of the bag. It all comes in through the bottom fittings once the tank is full. So, in theory, when using a preset to fill the tanks it should just fill the tank. It shouldn't overflow out the side until the bags are full. That's assuming there is a vent line on the bag also.

I also believe that if using a preset once the tank is full it stops and you have to start the pumps again to fill the bags?

Edited by teamerickson
14 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

MSRP (who pays that) on the charger from Malibu is ~$100 over the cost on Amazon.

Actually a little more than that when you include the plug and cover than Malibu uses.

yeah the way I looked at it was prosport 20 (I run group 29s), plus the NOCO GCP1, plus a short extension cord to put the charging receptacle plug in the rear locker so I don't have to drag the extension cord through the boat, and it's still less than the cost of the 12 with the plug in the walkway where I wouldn't want it to begin with.  But then I'm the weirdo who drills big holes in the boat so the captain has speakers too, so I do realize I'm an outlier on this kind of stuff!

I do wish I'd have listened to myself in the same way about the heater install... I really like having a heater, but I don't like the way the factory runs the hot tubes in the walkway on the axis.  Goofy location, plus it messes with the sub box install.  Oh well....

Of course for those who finance the boats, especially the flippers, I can totally understand how wrapping all of the options into the note beats shelling out of pocket to DIY every time.  Much more efficient to finance a year or two's worth of the battery charger than to buy the whole thing every time.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, teamerickson said:

I believe starting with the 2016 models there is no PNP fill line to the top of the bag. It all comes in through the bottom fittings once the tank is full. So, in theory, when using a preset to fill the tanks it should just fill the tank. It shouldn't overflow out the side until the bags are full. That's assuming there is a vent line on the bag also.

I also believe that if using a preset once the tank is full it stops and you have to start the pumps again to fill the bags?

I noticed when hard tanks fill there is a delay once the tank is full which is why water dumped out the side thru hull.  My guess is the bags will get some water in them.  Probably not enough to make any difference in the wakeboard wake.  For surfing won't make a difference because you will be filling the bags.

Edited by Fman