Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 options (thumbs up or down)/must have

Fman

33 minutes ago, Fman said:

I must be in the minority, when I put on my cover I lay it on swim deck take the bow section pull it over and hook it on the bow then drape it over each side.  I never install the cover while in the boat, maybe I am doing it the hard way!:(

Is the 2017 cover the same as the 2014?  and does Malibu offer a cover that will fully cover the G4 when stowed?

I would assume it covers the G4 when folded, as the tower is lower than the windshield when in  the down position.  I have to assume, as I don't own a G4....

Dave

10 minutes ago, Raimie said:

That seems like it would be harder than starting at the bow from inside the boat. (That's how I have always done it)

We might need to see a video of your technique to fully understand it ;-)

I tend to always choose the most difficult way to do things! :) I usually end up putting the cover on alone so this is the only way I have found that works solo.

I put mine on alone as well.  I just do it the reverse of your process.  I flop the front over the bow (but don't use the strap) and then pull it all the way to the back.  I then get off the swim deck, hook the back straps and then do the sides.  It actually works pretty slick.  I can do it faster by myself than I can when people "help" me.... :whistle:

Dave

• Like 2
Just now, malibuskier2003 said:

I put mine on alone as well.  I just do it the reverse of your process.  I flop the front over the bow (but don't use the strap) and then pull it all the way to the back.  I then get off the swim deck, hook the back straps and then do the sides.  It actually works pretty slick.  I can do it faster by myself than I can when people "help" me.... :whistle:

Dave

agreed - my process is better alone too :rofl:

46 minutes ago, malibuskier2003 said:

Dave

Yep this is what I do as well, one problem with the Evo cover I had was there is not a lot of material hooking the bow and it easily comes off.  This was going to be a modification I was going to ask Cory to change if I ended up ordering another cover from him.  I am not sure if the oem Malibu cover stays on a little better with some more material under the rubrail.

My cover has a strap on the bow that I attach to the eyelet. Then I unroll to the tower (I am inside the boat working my way back), attach around tower, hook hang tyte up but leave it loose, step on to swim platform attach both straps to the eyelets, pull ratchet tight. Then carefully walk on the cover on the gunnel to where I can reach the hang tyte cord and tighten it. (When my boat is on the hoist). If on the trailer, process is the same, but I jump down from the swim platform and walk over to the side to tighten the hang tyte.

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
Just now, Raimie said:

My cover has a strap on the bow that I attach to the eyelet. Then I unroll to the tower (I am inside the boat working my way back), attach around tower, hook hang tyte up but leave it loose, step on to swim platform attach both straps to the eyelets, pull ratchet tight. Then carefully walk on the cover on the gunnel to where I can reach the hang tyte cord and tighten it. (When my boat is on the hoist). If on the trailer, process is the same, but I jump down from the swim platform and walk over to the side to tighten the hang tyte.

You don't use the poles either right?

Regarding the cover, I just replaced the factory cover on my 2012 VLX with an EVO cover.  They may have changed significantly since then.  But I can tell you that my 2012 factory cover was a piece of junk.  I would never get a cover made of the Surlast material again.  If you leave it outside at all, the UV will absolutely destroy the cover.  It was literally disintegrating.  I have a Sunbrella cover on my 1993 runabout that has stayed outside on a buoy all summer for years which is in much better shape.  Also, the zippers covering the ratchet strap fell apart and I was constantly worried about the metal ratchet scratching the boat.  All that said, it was relatively easy to put on.

I just got my new Evo cover from Corey and it is really nice.  I keep my boat in the water, and I had the same problem mentioned above about it slipping off the bow when I put it on.  I brought it back to him and he sewed on a bow strap for the eyelet like I had on my factory cover which solved the problem.  That makes it MUCH easier to put on inside the boat, so if you order one I'd ask him to add that.  The cover is SO tight that it is harder to put on by myself but given the huge quality difference I'll take that tradeoff anytime.  And, I know that this has been said a thousand times on this site, but I can't say enough about how awesome Corey is to work with.  I had some problems the first time I put the cover on, and Corey immediately hopped on a Facetime video call with me to help sort it out.  I highly recommend him.

I got the GL cover and had a CS cover on my MB.  The GL cover is really really good.  I feel zero need to move from it to a an evo cover.  clips to bow eye, has hangtyte if you are worried about rain pooling, and it's thick and easy to work with.  Evo is a little nicer with how tight you can get it (putting it on VERY carefully, so as not to get an inadvertent pop over the rub rail), but with the GL I feel zero need to ever move to an evo (whereas with the CS cover I cursed that thing every time I used it).

7 hours ago, The Hulk said:

perhaps due to having to fit into a container?

These trailers are made in Australia, so not sure. As far as I am aware its just not an option to extend the trailer or to get the step.

2 hours ago, Raimie said:

I actually do use one pole. Its between the windshield and the hang tyte. I have never used the other 2.

What is it with the bashing of the covers?  I just got a new to me boat and don't mind the cover that came with it....Is there stuff I don't know?

6 hours ago, Raimie said:

Great idea with a strap on the bow, that was my only gripe about the EVO covers, they dont have much material below the rub rail.  It would easily slip right off the bow when putting the cover on.  Other than this the EVO cover was very nice, and a great towing cover.

3 hours ago, gahvey said:

What is it with the bashing of the covers?  I just got a new to me boat and don't mind the cover that came with it....Is there stuff I don't know?

I think my cover is awesome. It is the GL factory cover.

I have it down to three different gel schemes, I need to get my wife down to my dealer next week to look at some colors...she is totally against metal flake colors and I'm trying to get clearance from her.  Would like some flake in this one to mix it up a little.

Definitely doing G4 w/quad ptms, base 410, led docking lights, surf pipe, 3 vent heater, deckadence, stereo delete (exile install again), adjustable drivers seat.

Still on fence about PnP or Johnson reversibles, I have a feeling I might go Johnson again.

Do the rear facing lights come with every G4 or is that an upgrade? 

In 2015 it was an option, I know 2017 they redesigned tower and rear lights are integrated just like forward lights.  I don't know if they are included but they are FREAKING  SWEET!

Quad racks is also very nice, although I will likely not do quad on my next boat.  It's going to sound funny,  but another one of my favorite options is heated seat!  I use it all the time like a heating pad when a torque my back a little...worth every penny!

Edited by DarkSide
On 10/17/2016 at 7:11 AM, Fman said:

I am of the fence about some 2017 options for LSV, wanted to see if anyone has some feedback on these and if you have MSRP mark ups? or if anyone has anything they can't live without I am missing.

-Adding rear trailer steps, do you use them much? worth extra cost?

-Malibu cover, are they quality covers comparable to Evolution?  Cory's cover is about $800 + shipping.

-Fender locks, anyone use them much?

-Extra pop up cleat on front bow?  I do like the look of not having one there, but also think it would be a better setup than where Malibu currently places them.  Even if they could move the one on the side to front bow.

-Adjustable height seat, I have heard they sit up too high when in lowest position???

-PnP, I am still on the fence about this.  I will more than likely be installing reversible pumps again, I have a feeling I am going to be disappointed with the PnP option in comparison to the Johnson reversible pumps.

I will be ordering 3 vent heater, decadence floor mat, G4 w/PTM racks (4), LED docking lights, Surf Pipe, Base Raptor 410, Stereo delete with Exile install.

Any other "must have" options I am overlooking?

Rear trailer steps is a no brainer.  It's cheap ($283 MSRP) and it's very difficult to climb into the boat without them.  

I swear by Evo and I haven't seen anything from Malibu (incl. their GL cover which is aprox $1,100 MSRP) that would change my mind.  I was at AWS last week checking out a boat with the GL cover on it.  I removed it myself and put it back on when I was done.  Just because the GL cover uses the same material as Evo (Subrella) does not make it the same, imho.  I found the Malibu GL cover to have a looser fit than the Evo.  And I don't like using the traditional strap and wratchet system to tighten the cover.  In my experience the strap gets twisted and it's a nightmare to untwist it.  I find the design of the Evo cover superior.  The fact that the Evo cover doesn't extend past the rub rail IS the genius of it.  It uses a round rope to cinch it down instead of a flat strap; that rope gets tight against the underside of the rub rail when you pull it tight (no bulky heavy wrachet system).  In essence, it uses the rub rail as part of the system.  Yes, the Evo cover is tight... so tight that when you first put it on you'll swear that Cory made it too small.  But it's not.  The tightness IS what makes it great.  You can bounce a quarter off it!  It's so tight you don't need poles.  That tightness plus the water resistance of Sunbrella makes water just roll right off it.  No pooling.  And yes, the Evo covers have the hang tight cord also just in case (although it's not needed, imho).  And maybe my favorite element of an Evo cover is fact that you can order it any way you want... fabric color, stitching color, etc.  Extra padding over the sun pad?  No problem.  Openings for gas caps and cleats?  No problem.  Although I don't like all that stuff.  But if you do, go for it.  And Cory is a gem to work with.  A true gentleman and a great craftsman who takes pride in every cover he sends out the door.  

Fender locks might be tempting, if they weren't $518 MSRP.  That's crazy, IMHO.  And I can honestly say, I've never once thought to myself, "You know, hanging fenders on my cleats is a huge pain in my butt.  Surely there must be another way!"  Honestly, how hard is it to have lines with loops tied to your fenders?  Just reach over and hang them on.  And there's still plenty of room to tie dock lines onto the cleats.  It takes like 2 seconds.  With Fender Pro you have to keep the heavy metal brackets tied to your fenders.  I just don't see it.  Even if I had Fender Pro, I doubt I'd use it.

Front cleats.  I might be tempted by this.  I think they are like $175/pair MSRP.  It's not often I find myself needing them, and when I do I just tie a line around the bow handle.  If I order another 23 LSV this year, I doubt I'll get a 3rd pair of cleats, if that helps.  

I splurged for the adjustable height seat last year.  It was $833 MSRP!  I was surprised when it arrived... it's so tall!!  I'm only 5'10" and I never moved the seat up for myself.  If anything it was too tall because it put my eye line above the windshield.  So I probably won't get it again.  I like to look through the windshield, not over it.  if I want to look over it, that's what the bolster is for.  You should also know that the seat moves up an down V.E.R.Y. slowly.  

I think you should get the PnP.  It's a cheap gamble at $522 MSRP.  If you don't like it, just bypass it.  The same bags will work with both systems.  I loved having dedicated Johnson pumps, but I doublt I'll do it again because it's just so dang expensive by comparison.  

I would also get the rear view camera.  It's half the price of the power lift seat and I got A TON more value out of it.  It is just nice to eliminate the blind spot behind the boat when you have kids swimming back there, or a rider getting in the water, etc.  I will definitely be getting this option again.  

Another great option is the battery charger.  At $282 MSRP it's easy to justify.  And in your garage, how nice will it be to just plug in your boat like a cell phone every time you put her to bed.

Don't forget the bow pop up light.  Easy to forget.  

^^^^what he said!  Well stated ixfe...

One other thing I have never had but my next boat will is the gator step or soft grip or sea deck stuff on the gunnels and bow.  For two reasons gunnels seam to get abused I think this would protect that.  Second safety, I am always worried about someone falling, when dropping off picking up from the dock

6 hours ago, IXFE said:

Front cleats.  I might be tempted by this.  I think they are like $175/pair MSRP.  It's not often I find myself needing them, and when I do I just tie a line around the bow handle.  If I order another 23 LSV this year, I doubt I'll get a 3rd pair of cleats, if that helps.  

Hmmmm.... Going MXZ!?

• Like 2

Isn't the battery charger the prosport 12, though?  https://www.amazon.com/ProMariner-43012-ProSport-Generation-Battery/dp/B00F5EBR1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476968194&sr=8-1&keywords=prosport+12

A touch on the weaksauce side if you want to expand your battery capacity but probably OK for G24 batteries.  you've gotta get like 70% off of MSRP to be in the money on the charger as an option, and it's about the easiest possible option to install.  

Does the factory install a plug receptacle to plug your extension cord into?

54 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Isn't the battery charger the prosport 12, though?  https://www.amazon.com/ProMariner-43012-ProSport-Generation-Battery/dp/B00F5EBR1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476968194&sr=8-1&keywords=prosport+12

A touch on the weaksauce side if you want to expand your battery capacity but probably OK for G24 batteries.  you've gotta get like 70% off of MSRP to be in the money on the charger as an option, and it's about the easiest possible option to install.  

Does the factory install a plug receptacle to plug your extension cord into?

Travis will pay < $200 and yes, they install a nice plug receptacle. 

IXFE, good stuff, you have me thinking about the adjustable seat.  I will have to sit in one to check the height, I'm 6'ish (was 6'1 - I am shrinking with age) and I also like to look through the window. I know it would be good for my wife when she is driving. The PnP is a gamble, I just wish everyone was like "yes it is awesome" but I hear of slow fill times and not all the water draining out.  I'm in contact with WM to see what we can come up with.

SD, that battery charger is a pro sport 12, seems to work fine for standard batteries.  They do give you a plug in recepticle, pretty basic setup.

Darkside, are you interested in selling your upper racks?  If so PM me :)

8 hours ago, DarkSide said:

^^^^what he said!  Well stated ixfe...

One other thing I have never had but my next boat will is the gator step or soft grip or sea deck stuff on the gunnels and bow.  For two reasons gunnels seam to get abused I think this would protect that.  Second safety, I am always worried about someone falling, when dropping off picking up from the dock

I put gator step on my bow and gunnels on my vlx, worked great.  Will also do the same with this boat.