Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 Monsoon idle problems

Hi all,

I have a 2003 Wakesetter with the Monsoon 335 injected engine.  I have an idle flare which happens about 80% of the time, the idle will continue to hunt until the boat is in gear and under way. 

Initial thoughts were IAC, TPS or MAP sensor.  I have tested the TPS with a multi meter (.5volts closed throttle, 4.56 volts WOT) from my knowledge this is within spec.  I have replaced the IAC with a unit off eBay, and I have tested the MAP with a multi meter and vacuum gauge, which also appeared within spec.   

Injectors, fuel pump & fuel regulator were replaced when I got the boat 12 months ago, due to moisture in the fuel and rust in the lines/injectors.  Prior to new injectors, the boat missedfired under load, however I don't recall it having the mentioned issue.  I can't however see injectors cause a 'hunting idle', I'd more so expect a miss fire etc.  Thoughts?

I understand that the 03 model boats had an ECU flash tune for a similar issue, has anyone had experience with this? 

Thanks! 

Luke 

My flare happens when I come back to idle speed, up and down maybe twice.  Was told that a reflash of the ECU with a more updated software version would solve the problem but never followed up.  Kind of learned to work around the flare problem

On 10/17/2016 at 5:16 PM, Hallett85 said:

Thanks Sixball, forgot to mention a new fuel pump & fuel filter were installed at the same time injectors were replaced.

I'm guessing they replaced these parts to remedy the issue you are having. Sure sounds like a programming thing to me. Or, maybe a sensor giving faulty information?

Hope you figure it out and post here :)

Steve B.

On 10/19/2016 at 0:43 PM, Steve B. said:

I'm guessing they replaced these parts to remedy the issue you are having. Sure sounds like a programming thing to me. Or, maybe a sensor giving faulty information?

Hope you figure it out and post here :)

Steve B.

Thanks Steve,

The injectors and pump were replaced for a seperate issue being water in fuel and rust.

I did some research and found putting the boat into diagnostic mode, then out changes my symptoms.

The boat now stalls on start up, however doesn't hunt, this has led me back to the IAC.  I have decided to order a better quality IAC than the EBay one I previously purchased for $6 purely for diagnosis.

Will keep you posted once the item arrives, I'm located in Australia, so will be a few weeks! 

Judging off other people's experience with ECU reprogramming, I don't believe this to be my issue.. (Thanks electric John)

Cheers

Luke 

• 2 months later...

Sorry about the late reply,

It turns out that I was supplied the wrong injectors, although boxed as the correct part number, the injectors were different to what was stamped on the box (dodgy eBay seller) I have now upgraded to a set of Bosch 24lb injectors and it is running like a dream.  The injectors supplied only had a flow rate of 19lb.

Thank you all for your help and input.

Luke 

1 hour ago, Steve B. said:

Thanks for the reply. Is changing fuel injectors a "difficult" job? Does the intake, etc. have to come off? 

Steve B.

It's not too bad, plenum chamber off, a few fuel lines and fuel rail.  Approx an hours work. 

Cheers