Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bake's or Evolution Cover???

ncarilli

So I just purchased a 2014 24MXZ the factory cover is terrible!  I know the two most popular covers are Bakes and the Evo covers what do you guys like best?  What are the differences? Pros/Cons?  Thanks for your help!!

I had an Evo on my VLX and I liked it, but I don't get the universal hatred for the factory cover.    Maybe because I'm under a covered slip so I just need the back pole on it to shed water that blows in so I'm not messing with all 3 poles.  But otherwise, I kind of like the ratchet straps on the factory cover, all the cutouts for fuel and the cleats, and the loop on the front of it that attaches to the bow eye to help keep it in place as you pull the cover back.   And yes, I do tow with it, although not too often.    NO doubt the Evo is great, but I don't personally see a need to drop money on a new cover if you have the factory one already.   If I did a new cover, it would be the over the tower type that Ronnie has on his LSV.    

13 hours ago, hethj7 said:

I had an Evo on my VLX and I liked it, but I don't get the universal hatred for the factory cover.    Maybe because I'm under a covered slip so I just need the back pole on it to shed water that blows in so I'm not messing with all 3 poles.  But otherwise, I kind of like the ratchet straps on the factory cover, all the cutouts for fuel and the cleats, and the loop on the front of it that attaches to the bow eye to help keep it in place as you pull the cover back.   And yes, I do tow with it, although not too often.    NO doubt the Evo is great, but I don't personally see a need to drop money on a new cover if you have the factory one already.   If I did a new cover, it would be the over the tower type that Ronnie has on his LSV.    

For the reasons you like it..... the poles, the ratchets & the material.

The average condition of a factory cover at the dealership is horrible. The ratchets beat the gelcoat. The pouches their supposed to be in are torn & beat up, zippers trashed. The poles punch thru the material & then pool up. The plastic vents have to get replaced day in & day out. The poles get lost. Etc.

My Rankin cover (predecessor to the Evo) is 11 yrs old & doesn't have any of these issues.

Evo Cover.  Cory is easy to work with and answers questions and concerns.  No issues on inaugural 3,000 mile round trip to Lake Powell this past summer. Very happy with quality and function.

Just for the record, I'm not a fan of the factory poles.  I was just stating that since I only have to deal with 1 under my covered lift vs. all 3, it isn't quite the pain it could be.   And this is my first season, so I haven't had it long enough to comment on durability.  But, I have no reason to doubt  @Bill_AirJunky and what he has seen.  

3 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Just for the record, I'm not a fan of the factory poles.  I was just stating that since I only have to deal with 1 under my covered lift vs. all 3, it isn't quite the pain it could be.   And this is my first season, so I haven't had it long enough to comment on durability.  But, I have no reason to doubt  @Bill_AirJunky and what he has seen.  

Yea, 1 is better than 3. But a bungee to your tower is better still.....easier to setup, leaves no mark in the carpet, not in your way as your messing around with or under the cover. Add some support at the pylon too & it's money. 

ahopkins22LSV

Don't factory covers all come with a sling for the tower now? I know on my friends axis he doesn't use any poles. His boat is on a lift under a canopy but still there is no where that water could pool.

Yes, mine has the sling.  Maybe I should try it - for whatever reason I have never found it too hard to put a single pole in and I have yet to use the sling.  I have a small pad that I put under it to prevent the mark on the floor from happening.  

On October 17, 2016 at 10:08 PM, Bill_AirJunky said:

a bungee to your tower is better still.....easier to setup, leaves no mark in the carpet, not in your way as your messing around with or under the cover. Add some support at the pylon too & it's money. 

Such a smart idea to use the tower to support the cover weight. Can I see a photo of what this would look like please? 

I've ordered my last 2 boats without a factory cover and had one made by Cory.  The first one was actually when he first started and it was called Covercraft before he changed the name to Evolution.

I bought my first Malibu used and it only had a loose canvas cover with holes in it.  I had a Rankin cover made and it was great as well.