Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Identifying my engine

Zdrift247lsv

Looking for some help, I bought my boat used 2 years ago.  It's a 2006 wakesetter lsv 247.  When I bought it the guy told me it had the 383 hammerhead stroker motor.  Would this be correct?  Seems like anything I see on the 383 means it's a 6.2 liter, and I think mine is the 5.7 liter.  I was told that Chevy does have a 5.7 liter that is stroked to the 383.  I have searched on here but not having any luck with identifying your engine.  If needed I can go take a photo of it.  Thanks in advance for the help

Malibu has never put the 350 in any of the 247.  They are smarter than Mastercraft that put a bunch of 5.7 in the X45.   So unless the motor was swapped to a smaller motor for some dumb reason, it is the 383 6.2L Hammerhead.  IIRC, if you ever need parts, it is the same engine that is in a 1999 (?) Camaro.  

I thought that they looked different, but was mistaken.  In doing a quick search of some for sale, the silver badge on top says '340 Monsoon' on some of them, but apparently not all.  

Edited by TallRedRider
Fact check
  • Like 2
43 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

Malibu has never put the 350 in any of the 247.  They are smarter than Mastercraft that put a bunch of 5.7 in the X45.   So unless the motor was swapped to a smaller motor for some dumb reason, it is the 383 6.2L Hammerhead.  IIRC, if you ever need parts, it is the same engine that is in a 1999 (?) Camaro.  

I thought that they looked different, but was mistaken.  In doing a quick search of some for sale, the silver badge on top says '340 Monsoon' on some of them, but apparently not all.  

I agree no 350 HP 247 would be a total dog.  Agreed it is a 383 hammerhead.  No other choice at the time.  Maybe the 8.1 which would have been the motor to have.  But not sure if the were offered after 05

4 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

whoever wrote that needs to be smacked;). A 383 is a 350(5.7l) stroked to 383(6.2l)

I am not with it tonight.  I thought the question was if the 383 was based on the 5.7l block, which of course it is.  I wasn't making the connection that 383ci =6.2L.  

9 hours ago, oldjeep said:

whoever wrote that needs to be smacked;). A 383 is a 350(5.7l) stroked to 383(6.2l)

That's got to be embarrassing for Malibu. I assume it was written by a non-technical guy.

But the tradition continues today, Malibu/Indmar is specifying their engines power in units of torque (torque is not power).

Edited by MadMan

I thought identifying by torque just started in 2016, with the Raptor (which by the way the manual actually gives HP for the Raptor engines).   

Before that, you can find HP and Torque numbers - or at least you could with the 2006 manual I pulled last night.  

13 hours ago, NHolladay said:

I agree no 350 HP 247 would be a total dog.  Agreed it is a 383 hammerhead.  No other choice at the time.  Maybe the 8.1 which would have been the motor to have.  But not sure if the were offered after 05

The 8.1 was available for several years after that, but not sure when it stopped.  I think it was around 2009.  

13 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

The 8.1 was available for several years after that, but not sure when it stopped.  I think it was around 2009.  

8.1 was available through 2010. Easiest way to identify the 8.1 is the vortec badging all over the engine cover (at least on my 2010).

38 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

Dumb question, but does the 383 look different because of the aluminum heads?  This is my 383 Hammerhead.  

20141115_110419_zpsu9kbhdcx.jpg

And here is a 5.7:  

heater.jpg

You can't really see a head difference in a picture since they would be dimensionally the same and both painted, but if those are the same year then it looks like the exhaust manifolds are different as is the decoration on the intake plenum.

1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

Dumb question, but does the 383 look different because of the aluminum heads?  This is my 383 Hammerhead.  

Just put a magnet on them to see if they are aluminum or iron.

9 hours ago, MadMan said:

That's got to be embarrassing for Malibu. I assume it was written by a non-technical guy.

Yes...Probably someone in Marketing.  Same Person that did not realize in 2006 it was not too cool to feature a picture of a fellow sitting at a drafting table 'after hours' with his pencil, ruler, and Pixar style light at his desk.   Pretty sure AutoCad had been invented by then....:)