Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any 5.7L Tundra owners out there?

Fman

I would think if you need to tow over 10k pounds you would then be going to diesel territory, 3/4-1 ton, at least that is what I would be looking at.

What is the towing mpg on a Dodge 5.7 or GMC?

Just now, Fman said:

I would think if you need to tow over 10k pounds you would then be going to diesel territory, 3/4-1 ton, at least that is what I would be looking at.

What is the towing mpg on a Dodge 5.7 or GMC?

Mine is only a 6 speed, but I get 8-12 towing 6k on mostly flat ground with 3.21 gears. Best mileage on mine is around 65mph, drops fast at 75

Why not buy a diesel 2500 for $40k? That'll tow the house too! LOL

But I agree in the crazy markups, I got 25% off my F150...43k sticker for 32k.   I wasn't a fan of the interior on the Toyota's when we looked at them a few years ago, very thin/plasticky.

2 hours ago, twitchee2 said:

I sent two emails and had an F150 at 41K down from 52K.  Typically you can get ~20% off of a domestic and ~5% toyotas, if any at all.

Toyota's don't have as much room to negotiate since they have to pay domestic wages now that they are built in the US, just had to say that!

9 minutes ago, jwl019 said:

Toyota's don't have as much room to negotiate since they have to pay domestic wages now that they are built in the US, just had to say that!

Exactly right!

1 hour ago, nyryan2001 said:

And I'm seeing 43,700 for the Limited.

thats a ~4% difference. 

Not seeing this huge Toyota markup, ~$1-2k. Easily recouped on resale.

I just ran the nada numbers -

2009 Ram Crew Cab, Laramie, 4x4, 90,000 miles, average condition -trade in value $16,625.

2009 Tundra Crew Max, Limited, 4x4, 90,000 miles, average condition - trade in value $22,375.

Having been down this path in the last 14 months, I know that my 07 Tundra brought almost $7500 more in trade than a comp equipped Ram, F150, Chevy.  

Here's my examples:

Bought '06 Tundra Crew 4wd Limited Lucchese Edition in 3/2011 with 86k miles on it for $15,500 private party.  Sold it in 5/2014 with 131k miles for $15k. Guy flew in from TN and drove it home.

Bought a 2010 SR5 4wd Crewmax with 88k miles on it for $22k, and just traded it in Labor Day weekend with 123k miles for $20k, dealer has it priced at $25,985 on his site right now.  At the time of the purchase of the 2010, I could not find a comparable Ford without getting the 5.4 that I knew I didn't want.  The Ecoboost's were running $28k+ used for the lower trims at that time and were the first couple year production models.  Glad I did not purchase a comparable Ford since the Ford's of that era don't seem to have as much of a small depreciation value as what my 2010 Tundra held.

12 hours ago, nyryan2001 said:

And I'm seeing 43,700 for the Limited.

thats a ~4% difference. 

Not seeing this huge Toyota markup, ~$1-2k. Easily recouped on resale.

Well, actually that's more than a 7% difference.  It also ignores the features that the Ram has that a limited doesn't (cooled seats, heated wheel, heated rear seats, under seat storage with fold out bed, in floor coolers, more power, potential for rambox, coil suspension (I could go on), ADD 25% better highway fuel economy, is it any wonder that Tundra's are just 5% of the YTD sales of pick ups?  

Assuming Edwin's numbers are right (I got 23,500 in trade for my 2010 last year so his Ram # seems a bit low, but anyway), when you add in $3,000 for the up front price difference, that's less than a $3,000 difference 7 years later, all while you have a better warranty and get better gas mileage, and have features the Tundra can't touch (without going to platinum).  I don't know, seems awfully equal if not tilted in Ram's favor to me....but I'm just a fanboy so disregard.  Seems like every Tundra discussion ends with, well they have higher resale and higher quality.  Quality is kind of subjective, but I'll agree that they're built well (except for that run of trucks with entire chassis rusting out).  But, is that all there is to it when picking out a vehicle?  I am in no way suggesting that Toyota quality is not top notch.  It just feels like a bit much like a Camry to me with no attempt at pleasurable ergonomics.  I will admit, I kind of did want a TRD pro but seriously, no climate control on a $50,000 truck?  And this year was the first with leather?  And no cooled seats?  I dunno.  They do sell them, just clearly not very many.  

Edited by 85 Barefoot

This thread made me go look (I swear I'll spend more time shopping for my next vehicle than I will actually driving it), and while there aren't any advertised 2017 RAM crew cab laramies out there for under 40, holy smokes there are bunch of 16s for under 40, and some as low as high 35s (with leather etc).  Take a look at Dennis Dillon in Caldwelll ID.

32 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

This thread made me go look (I swear I'll spend more time shopping for my next vehicle than I will actually driving it), and while there aren't any advertised 2017 RAM crew cab laramies out there for under 40, holy smokes there are bunch of 16s for under 40, and some as low as high 35s (with leather etc).  Take a look at Dennis Dillon in Caldwelll ID.

Look for the 2017s to be even cheaper next year given total redesign rumors in 2018.  

What could I expect to get on a trade in on a 2014 Ram Sport with 50K miles?  

1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Well, actually that's more than a 7% difference.  It also ignores the features that the Ram has that a limited doesn't (cooled seats, heated wheel, heated rear seats, under seat storage with fold out bed, in floor coolers, more power, potential for rambox, coil suspension (I could go on), ADD 25% better highway fuel economy, is it any wonder that Tundra's are just 5% of the YTD sales of pick ups?  

Assuming Edwin's numbers are right (I got 23,500 in trade for my 2010 last year so his Ram # seems a bit low, but anyway), when you add in $3,000 for the up front price difference, that's less than a $3,000 difference 7 years later, all while you have a better warranty and get better gas mileage, and have features the Tundra can't touch (without going to platinum).  I don't know, seems awfully equal if not tilted in Ram's favor to me....but I'm just a fanboy so disregard.  Seems like every Tundra discussion ends with, well they have higher resale and higher quality.  Quality is kind of subjective, but I'll agree that they're built well (except for that run of trucks with entire chassis rusting out).  But, is that all there is to it when picking out a vehicle?  I am in no way suggesting that Toyota quality is not top notch.  It just feels like a bit much like a Camry to me with no attempt at pleasurable ergonomics.  I will admit, I kind of did want a TRD pro but seriously, no climate control on a $50,000 truck?  And this year was the first with leather?  And no cooled seats?  I dunno.  They do sell them, just clearly not very many.  

What do you mean by no climate control (what are you saying is climate controls) and first year leather? 

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

SD while you are at it would you mind locating a 2014/15 Limited/Platinum Tundra 5.7L, under 30k miles for under 36k? I would gladly pay a finders fee! :thumbup:

3 minutes ago, Fman said:

SD while you are at it would you mind locating a 2014/15 Limited/Platinum Tundra 5.7L, under 30k miles for under 36k? I would gladly pay a finders fee! :thumbup:

Pretty close - 2014 platinum for 37K with 37K miles on it.  Some pretty lousy mileage numbers on that truck though 13/17

http://www.carsoup.com/details/used/2014/Toyota/Tundra-Platinum/66125480/?returl=L3ZlaGljbGUvcmVzdWx0cy5hc3B4P3ZlaGljbGV0eXBlaWQ9MSZtYWtlaWQ9NzQmbW9kZWxpZD00MDY0JnRyaW1pZD00MDY2JTJjMzE1NTMmbW9kZWx5ZWFyPTIwMTUlMmMyMDE0JnJtYWtlaWQ9NjYmcmFkaXVzPTUwJm1heHByaWNlPTQwMDAwJmRvc29ydD1wcmljZV9hc2M~#.WAeF_3_ruUk

2015 Limited with 20K miles for 37K

http://www.carsoup.com/details/used/2015/Toyota/Tundra-Limited/66052647/?returl=L3ZlaGljbGUvcmVzdWx0cy5hc3B4P21ha2VpZD03NCZtb2RlbGlkPTQwNjQmdHJpbWlkPTQwNjYlMkMzMTU1MyZtb2RlbHllYXI9MjAxNSUyQzIwMTQmbWF4cHJpY2U9NDAwMDAmcmFkaXVzPTI1MA~~#.WAeGmn_ruUk

Edited by oldjeep
Just now, oldjeep said:

Wrong color Chuck, but a good find.  I need white, charcoal or silver, those are my three favorites.  I am not concerned about fuel economy, I drive less than 100 miles a month to work.  Probably put less than 10k miles a year on my vehicles.

Anyone here purchased a truck out of your home state?  How does the smog work between each state?  Are the trucks all 50 state smog legal now?  I know CA has strict smog rules.  I would not be opposed to finding a truck out of state and have it shipped to my house coming from a dealer.  I have a feeling there will be much better deals to be found out of California.

7 minutes ago, Fman said:

Anyone here purchased a truck out of your home state?  How does the smog work between each state?  Are the trucks all 50 state smog legal now?  I know CA has strict smog rules.  I would not be opposed to finding a truck out of state and have it shipped to my house coming from a dealer.  I have a feeling there will be much better deals to be found out of California.

I know tax and license is based on where you live.  The smog certification is required for licensing, so I would think no matter where you purchased it, it would have to be California compliant.

Dave

26 minutes ago, Fman said:

You would need the seller to send you a picture of the emissions sticker to make sure it is 50 state or CA compliant.  There are still vehicles with 49 state and CA versions for emissions.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

Edited by oldjeep
1 hour ago, malibu2004 said:

What do you mean by no climate control (what are you saying is climate controls) and first year leather? 

Only on TRD pro and lesser trims...I mean no dual temp, not digital, no auto, just dials for fans and temp...TRD pro didn't have leather until this year

3 hours ago, Fman said:

haha given my quickie research if I found that one I'd have to buy it myself!

3 hours ago, jwl019 said:

Just a quick search and I found this one in the colors you listed and bet it would fall under $35k if you started some negotiations:

https://www.toyotaofrichardson.com/certified/Toyota/2014-Toyota-Tundra-73a75d580a0e0ae854d002e566a3a869.htm

Nice find, that is what I am looking for.  I have a broker looking at some options for me right now, will see what happens over the next few weeks.

What's the depreciation on the 3.5 Eco F150s as compared to Toyota?

Because you could just pay that rip off $3k extended warranty to try to get it to 100k+ miles without getting nailed on the turbo QAQC issues.

the 5.7 Dodge Laramie for $38k is legit.  I would just have a hard time looking a a big chrome sheep in my face in the center of the steering wheel. In your periphery it looks like a set of butt cheeks.

• Like 2