Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any 5.7L Tundra owners out there?

Fman

I am starting to search for a truck again, after owning a Sequoia for the past 10 years CFO has agreed to let me get a truck again.  I have really missed having a truck.... I do not want a diesel, and I have no interest in any other trucks other than the 2007+ Tundra crew max 4 door 5.7L.  Probably will look in the 2011-12 range.  I will be towing a LSV which weighs in about 6500 lbs loaded up on the trailer.  The 5.7L is rated for over 10,000 pounds, 381 HP @ 401 ft lbs of torque.  Reliability and longevity is a must for me, I usually keep my vehicles for at least 8-10 years.

Anyone here have any experience in towing with the 5.7L Tundra? thoughts or experiences with this vehicle?

Love my 5.7 Tundra, bought mine new 7yrs ago and just turned 100k miles... not a single unscheduled maintenance item.  Only regular maintenece items, and I hammer mine... 8-10k tows between the wakeboat and a 32ft travel trailer. 3? minor low urgency recalls.

dont tune it.  Not for a second.  You don't want to trade the amazing QAQC for smalls gains in performance.

you are at 6-9mpg in the 7-9000lbs range.  It is what it is.  Then 12-15mph for regular driving.

power- it will tow 7-10000lbs well.  It will run higher RPMs... no issues, let it rev, Toyota has the QAQC to do it.  Never even an inkling of an overheat, even towing 8k up and down extreme grades and mountains.

i would not hesitate to buy a Tundra with 60-100k+ miles to avoid some depreciation... again they are very well built.

brakes-- this is an area that could be improved..it is only a 1/2 ton truck.. look for one with the red multi piston TRD brake kits if you can.  I upgraded mine to drilled and slotted rotors for some improved performance.

if you tow a lot, consider adding Roadmaster Active Suspension to reduce rear squat.  Here is mine at around a 9k total load

30332320616_a483c56cae_b.jpg

Edited by nyryan2001
  • Like 3

Looking at around 50-60k miles, platinum or limited...must have leather.  Trying to be OTD for under 35k.  Thanks for the review, exactly what I was hoping for.  Will also be my daily driver.  I have hammered my 4.7L and it just continues to go, no leaks, does not burn a drop of oil after 113k miles.  Your G is much heavier than an lsv so I'm hopeful it will have no problems with a 6500 lb tow even when pulling grades.

Edited by Fman

I bought an 08 5.7 crew max with 60000 miles on it back in '13.  125000 on it now with no issues.  You will not even feel the LSV back there on mostly flat ground.  I'm sure grades will not be a problem.  I never even use "tow mode" unless I'm on hills.  Never once run hot on engine or tranny even in Texas heat.  I would put money on reliability vs any other truck.

3 hours ago, t a said:

I bought an 08 5.7 crew max with 60000 miles on it back in '13.  125000 on it now with no issues.  You will not even feel the LSV back there on mostly flat ground.  I'm sure grades will not be a problem.  I never even use "tow mode" unless I'm on hills.  Never once run hot on engine or tranny even in Texas heat.  I would put money on reliability vs any other truck.

That hasn't been my experience...I've got a 2010 Tundra DC w/5.7 engine and tow package. Our boat & trailer weighs about 6500lbs (verified on scale) with fluids and gear and you can definitely feel the boat back there regardless of the towing situation. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck and think it tows very well for a half ton but you know when you're towing.

Last month I towed the boat nearly 800 miles to Shasta and back. Over multiple mountain passes and fairly heavily loaded down...4 coolers, 4 guys, gear in the boat, etc...and the truck did fine. So long as I didn't have to slow down significantly on grades (say a semi moved into my lane) I was able to accelerate up even the steepest of hills if I stepped on it. Cruising up the steep grades I was pulling 4k RPM's but never saw the needle move on the transmission or engine temps the entire trip.  One of the biggest improvements in handling while towing was load range E tires. I inflate those to 75PSI for the towing season. Airbags and rear sway bar would really be nice but I'm cheap and only 10% of the total miles are with the boat in tow.

5 hours ago, t a said:

I never even use "tow mode" unless I'm on hills. 

5 hours ago, nyryan2001 said:

I never use the tow mode either, even with heavy loads I get 1-2 better MPGs not using it. 

Uhhhh....I must be the only one that uses "tow mode" without any boat hooked up. I want to rename the button "fun mode"! I don't do it all the time, but I sure do like to use it every once in a while when I want to have some fun. It feels like it is a super charger when you push that button. The pedal is so much more responsive (at least on my '14). 

I always use tow mode when I pull the boat, just out of habit. And like the others have said, the truck has no problem pulling the weight. 

2 hours ago, jetskipro550 said:

That hasn't been my experience...I've got a 2010 Tundra DC w/5.7 engine and tow package. Our boat & trailer weighs about 6500lbs (verified on scale) with fluids and gear and you can definitely feel the boat back there regardless of the towing situation. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck and think it tows very well for a half ton but you know when you're towing.

Last month I towed the boat nearly 800 miles to Shasta and back. Over multiple mountain passes and fairly heavily loaded down...4 coolers, 4 guys, gear in the boat, etc...and the truck did fine. So long as I didn't have to slow down significantly on grades (say a semi moved into my lane) I was able to accelerate up even the steepest of hills if I stepped on it. Cruising up the steep grades I was pulling 4k RPM's but never saw the needle move on the transmission or engine temps the entire trip.  One of the biggest improvements in handling while towing was load range E tires. I inflate those to 75PSI for the towing season. Airbags and rear sway bar would really be nice but I'm cheap and only 10% of the total miles are with the boat in tow.

I believe the 0-60 specs on the truck are in the 5 1/2 sec range...I bet I could do it in close to 6 with the boat in tow :P

Just now, Anderson24 said:

Uhhhh....I must be the only one that uses "tow mode" without any boat hooked up. I want to rename the button "fun mode"! I don't do it all the time, but I sure do like to use it every once in a while when I want to have some fun. It feels like it is a super charger when you push that button. The pedal is so much more responsive (at least on my '14). 

I always use tow mode when I pull the boat, just out of habit. And like the others have said, the truck has no problem pulling the weight. 

It gets really fun when you turn off all the traction controls and the engine doesn't kill all that power once the wheels start spinning.

I have had a '06 with the 4.7, a '10 with the 5.7 and now a '16 with the 5.7. Like mentioned above, you definitely know the boats back there but it tows it just fine. My '06 & '10 both had 120k+ miles when I upgraded them without a single issue.  My '16 doesn't have leather but was told for $1,200 I could add leather at any time.

I don't see a problem with you being able hit your price range in the ''11-13 models.  My Toyota Mechanic told me to stay in a '10 and above since there were a few issues he sees constantly in the '07-09's, iirc he said injectors and bearings but I could be wrong since it has been a few years since I bought the '10 model I had.  For not too much more you can get the '16 SR5 crewmax 4wd then add leather later, especially when the rebates hit $3-4k if your dealer is wanting to move inventory at the end of the month.

32 minutes ago, nyryan2001 said:

All the tow mode does is change the shift points to run higher RPMs and stay in a higher Hp/Tq band.  You definitely burn more gas.

Not sure when it changed, but I know in the '14 it also changes the pedal response curve. 

And yes, way worse mpg. 

How do you "add leather" later?  I did see some leather covers online which would be around $900 for front and rear seats.  I think for another 3-4k over the SR5 I will just go with a platinum edition and get all the other creature comforts.  I have found a couple very nice low mileage 2012 and 2013 platinum for right around my price point.  I might head out next weekend and go take a look.  I like the silver, charcoal gray and white colors.

8 hours ago, Fman said:

How do you "add leather" later?  I did see some leather covers online which would be around $900 for front and rear seats.  I think for another 3-4k over the SR5 I will just go with a platinum edition and get all the other creature comforts.  I have found a couple very nice low mileage 2012 and 2013 platinum for right around my price point.  I might head out next weekend and go take a look.  I like the silver, charcoal gray and white colors.

They order the leather seat cover skins, unzip the cloth seat cover and remove it.  Slide the leather seat covers on and done, of course it is a little more to it than that, but not much more.

Funny, my Sequoia is the Limited model with heated seats, would be hard to go backwards and not have that creature comfort again.  That is pretty cool they can just order leather skins for the seats, I would assume most of the clothe seats do not have heated seats? (i.e.: SR5 model)  I could live without navigation, sunroof, etc... but I gotta have those heated leather seats.

Just now, Fman said:

Funny, my Sequoia is the Limited model with heated seats, would be hard to go backwards and not have that creature comfort again.  That is pretty cool they can just order leather skins for the seats, I would assume most of the clothe seats do not have heated seats? (i.e.: SR5 model)  I could live without navigation, sunroof, etc... but I gotta have those heated leather seats.

I had a 2014 SR5 and had leather installed.  The SR5 didn't have heated seats, and the leather never looked that great.  It was good quality, but it was wrinkled is some areas and it just didn't look stock.  My wife has a bad back and loves the heated seats for the long road trip.  Ultimately I ended up selling my tundra and getting a 2015 sierra denal. 

21 hours ago, Fman said:

I am starting to search for a truck again, after owning a Sequoia for the past 10 years CFO has agreed to let me get a truck again.  I have really missed having a truck.... I do not want a diesel, and I have no interest in any other trucks other than the 2007+ Tundra crew max 4 door 5.7L.  Probably will look in the 2011-12 range.  I will be towing a LSV which weighs in about 6500 lbs loaded up on the trailer.  The 5.7L is rated for over 10,000 pounds, 381 HP @ 401 ft lbs of torque.  Reliability and longevity is a must for me, I usually keep my vehicles for at least 8-10 years.

Anyone here have any experience in towing with the 5.7L Tundra? thoughts or experiences with this vehicle?

I have a 2012 Tundra Double, 5.7 with 57k on the ticker I absolutely love it. It is a gas and a half ton but it pulls my my 04 Wakesetter and travel trailer #6500 or better no problems. Went to Shasta and back pulled the mountains great in 100 degree weather. I will say it's LOVES gas while pulling. 

Other than regular maintenance I've had zero issues. The only thing I wish it had was more payload. 

Something else to mention regarding fuel...the fuel tank is way to small on this truck. You'll find that out after about 180 miles of towing LOL There are a few options for auxiliary or replacement fuel tanks but they're $1500-2000 installed

Just now, jetskipro550 said:

Something else to mention regarding fuel...the fuel tank is way to small on this truck. You'll find that out after about 180 miles of towing LOL There are a few options for auxiliary or replacement fuel tanks but they're $1500-2000 installed

The larger fuel tank in the '16 model is part of the reason I upgraded, I am liking that part about it!  The downside is the rear seats no longer recline like the Gen 2 did, my kids are not liking that so much.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, jwl019 said:

The larger fuel tank in the '16 model is part of the reason I upgraded, I am liking that part about it!  The downside is the rear seats no longer recline like the Gen 2 did, my kids are not liking that so much.

I was looking fwd to the larger gas tank option when I ordered my 2015 Tundra, but was unable to get it here Missouri.  I was told it's a regional based option.  I do know that the dealers in OK had them on the lot with the larger tank.   Not a super huge deal but I'd have gladly paid the extra $$$ to get the option. 

I absolutely love both of mine.  I have 2010 limited that just turned 100,000.  It would be my only Tundra if it was a 4x4.  However, the new boat worked the 2010 over on the ramp due to lack of 4 wheel drive.  Thus the new & improved model - 2016 Platinum, with a few extras on it.  I don't have a great picture, but here's what I do have:

Dave

20160916_161553.jpg

• Like 3

I'll also echo the Tundra love - my 07 Limited was a great ride for 135k, my 15 Platinum was been nice as well.    

The interior of the 15 is more plush, likely won't wear as well as the 07 did.  Also, wasn't a huge fan of the non-sliding back seats at first but that hasn't proven to be an issue at all.  Only inconvenience is no storage space behind the back seat.  I'll be honest - I flip up the seat bases way more than I would've expected and it opens up to make a very useable space.  

Only beef of the 15 is that the power steering seems more assisted (actually over assisted) compared to the 07.  At highway speeds, it takes concentrated focus to not wander a bit in the lane.  It was worse with the stock Dunlop tires, better with Michelin LTX M/S...but still doesn't track like the 07.