Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help!!!

I just started to do winterizing. Got a might Vac this year put the tube down the dipstick and it is stuck! What could it possibly be stuck on in there? I don't want to rip it it out and damage anything. What do I do now? Arrrggghhhhh!

It's in to far and won't spin. I have take the dips tick tube off and over the suction line as well. No dice. Took all the spark plugs out and bumped the engine, no movement

Edited by jrvs23

Everyone has said how easy these were, which they are when use correctly. I will never do it this way again! I searched (after the fact) for threads with this problem but only found mention of it by second hand saying it could happen. I'm sure you will point a few threads with exactly my issue. Thanks oldjeep for pointing out my stupidity for the second time in a week when looking for advice and guidance on TMC. 

Boat will be wrapped up and stored end of the week. 

3 hours ago, jrvs23 said:

It's in to far and won't spin. I have take the dips tick tube off and over the suction line as well. No dice. Took all the spark plugs out and bumped the engine, no movement

Try cutting it down and cleaning it off with degreaser then take a drill chuck and attach it and try to spin it while pulling gently. Nothing to loose.

I tried sticking a coat hanger in the tube to straighten it out as it went in. The wire only got just inside the pan. The tube kinked right there and wouldn't uncoil. I broke it off and is now in there forever. Live and learn.

Those pumps can also be attached directly to dipstick tube with rubber fitting and pull oil out.  I use a spark plug boot attached to the plastic line which is attached to flexible rubber drain line.  This method seems to work good.

Sorry to hear this, will that plastic line floating in your oil pan cause any damage?   Or will it just keep floating there indefinitely until pan is pulled off?

Edited by Fman

It will float there. I think it coiled in a full loop around the inside of the pan until it pinched tight not allowing me to pull it back. Talking with a couple mechanics it may get caught up on something but the engine will just destroy the plastic. As long as the oil pressure stays good it will be fine. 

I'm fried. It's time for a few beers. 

37 minutes ago, jrvs23 said:

It will float there. I think it coiled in a full loop around the inside of the pan until it pinched tight not allowing me to pull it back. Talking with a couple mechanics it may get caught up on something but the engine will just destroy the plastic. As long as the oil pressure stays good it will be fine. 

I'm fried. It's time for a few beers. 

I agree, wouldn't worry about it.  Everything in the crank case is a lot tougher than it is.  I bet it just gets lodged in the oil pickup, the screen won't let it get by.  All is good.

I wouldn't worry either. Last year a guy actually pulled his engine out to get his busted piece out, seemed like overkill but everyone has to decide for themself how much that piece of plastic bothers them. For about $25 you can get a pan drain line. If you have not put oil back in engine it would be a good time to do it. On my inlaws 04 response we drained oil into the bilge and out the plug hole for a couple years before I installed a drain line. (Used a tin foil trough from under oil pan to drain hole to minimize mess). Pan drain line makes it simple, clean and safe, and you can add a threaded fitting to your mitivac to attach directly to it.

http://m.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=26163

Edited by oldjeep

Moderator could you please change the title of this thread to one that would help people find this info to prevent or support after the fact. Something like Mighty Vac drain tube stuck in pan or ?

Thanks

2 hours ago, jrvs23 said:

Moderator could you please change the title of this thread to one that would help people find this info to prevent or support after the fact. Something like Mighty Vac drain tube stuck in pan or ?

Thanks

Just don't change it to "oil extractor tube stuck in dipstick tube"... that thread title is already taken.

Idea to get it out. Just spit balling here:

Drill a larger (1/2"-1") hole in side of pan, get tube out, tap for a plug?

Thoughts?  Dumb, really dumb, why hasn't anyone else thought of this.

15 minutes ago, jrvs23 said:

Idea to get it out. Just spit balling here:

Drill a larger (1/2"-1") hole in side of pan, get tube out, tap for a plug?

Thoughts?  Dumb, really dumb, why hasn't anyone else thought of this.

couple issues there.

1) not sure there is really enough access to drill a hole like that

2) more importantly you are putting metal shavings in pan

3) pan not thick enough to tap, you would have to weld in a bung or weld hole shut.

• Like 2