Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Opinions on 2014 23 LSV w/ 572

AggieTJ

1 hour ago, tjklein said:

I strongly suspect 2018 will bring a new 23...

I don't believe the current 3pc design is long for this world either.  

I have my heart set on getting a new 2017 with the expection to keep it for several years. I was thinking a redisign would be 6 years out and not 4 years, so maybe in 2020. Didn't the 23 have no design changes from 2008 to 2014?

31 minutes ago, bbattiste247 said:

I have my heart set on getting a new 2017 with the expection to keep it for several years. I was thinking a redisign would be 6 years out and not 4 years, so maybe in 2020. Didn't the 23 have no design changes from 2008 to 2014?

I think the downturn years from 2008-2010/2011 impacted such a long LSV re-design cycle more than anything else. Surfing is driving wake boat sales now and anything longer than 4-5 years is an eternity if they're hoping to stay on the leading edge of the market.

Just look at what the redesign did to the MXZ series - those are now legit surf boats with stock plus minimal PNP, where they used to need a ton of extra ballast to produce a good wave.

1 hour ago, tjklein said:

2018 a new 23 is most likely coming with a walkthrough transom, less carpet, more ballast.  I'm confident enough to have canceled my MXZ order.

I don't want to wait until August for a boat, but I like the carpet and don't care for the walkthrough. We are not hardcore, so more ballast is not a need. Waiting til 18 is probably wise, but if mine sells soon I'll be in a 2017 for a while.

1 hour ago, NWBU said:

I think the downturn years from 2008-2010/2011 impacted such a long LSV re-design cycle more than anything else. Surfing is driving wake boat sales now and anything longer than 4-5 years is an eternity if they're hoping to stay on the leading edge of the market.

Just look at what the redesign did to the MXZ series - those are now legit surf boats with stock plus minimal PNP, where they used to need a ton of extra ballast to produce a good wave.

I think you are right.

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Crazy thing about my experience with selling these boats. I've always sold my boats to someone clear across the country. Chicago, Virginia, New Hampshire, Nashville. I even delivered one to the East coast years ago. 

My last two went to New Zealand! Same buyer on both boats.  Crazy thing is it takes about 6 weeks for it to reach New Zealand from the West Coast.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Fman said:

My last two went to New Zealand! Same buyer on both boats.  Crazy thing is it takes about 6 weeks for it to reach New Zealand from the West Coast.

That's not too surprising really thinking about scheduling the ship, container space and customs.

The wife and I ran a kids Christmas charity for years. We would buy like 5 semi loads of toys every year through toy markets at the World Trade Center in Dallas. Several times we didn't get a container load of toys from China because the container fell off the ship at sea. I was reading about a catamaran sail boat company a while back. They were saying the worst things to hit at sea was a container that fell off a ship or a whale. 

If you think about it, the 23 LSV is now the oldest design in the Malibu wakeboat lineup.  Unless there are several entirely new wakeboats for 18 the 23 is almost a shoe in for a redesign next year. My early prediction w/out any inside info is some type of gen II surfgate with the 23 redesign next year.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Ronnie said:

That's not too surprising really thinking about scheduling the ship, container space and customs.

Wider beam boats are pretty hard to fit into a container these days... have to build a cradle to hold it sideways and often remove the tower and the windshield to get it to fit.  The guys that shipped my MB to Russia just decided to go RORO (roll on roll off) for this reason.

18 hours ago, Ronnie said:

The wife and I ran a kids Christmas charity for years. We would buy like 5 semi loads of toys every year through toy markets at the World Trade Center in Dallas. Several times we didn't get a container load of toys from China because the container fell off the ship at sea. I was reading about a catamaran sail boat company a while back. They were saying the worst things to hit at sea was a container that fell off a ship or a whale. 

He did a container ship with the 2013 VLX, it turned out to be a disaster, they did not drain out the engine oil and he had two large oil stains on the vinyl, plus they have to remove the tower.  I was able to get him two skins shipped out and he had them repaired.  This time he wrapped the boat and did the Roll on Roll off method, much less stress and less chance of damage to the boat.  The container method is crazy, they actually turn the boat on its side and slide it into the container.

13 hours ago, lerch said:

If you think about it, the 23 LSV is now the oldest design in the Malibu wakeboat lineup.  Unless there are several entirely new wakeboats for 18 the 23 is almost a shoe in for a redesign next year. My early prediction w/out any inside info is some type of gen II surfgate with the 23 redesign next year.

If it is not 2018, I would almost guarantee 2019 will release a new LSV which would be the 5 year mark.  Malibu seems to be doing a pretty good job of making substantial changes between each year, definitely between a '15 and '16.  At least the 17's have vinyl upgrade, 5 year warranty, trans ratio change and base Raptor, those are 4 biggies in my checklist.  I am not sure what changes they made between a '16 and '17 other than WS stereo and G3.5, are there any other changes?

On 10/14/2016 at 9:24 AM, Stevo said:

That price is way high. They are pricing that boat with full $$ engine upgrade like it was new.

unless you are running high altitude I personally don't believe that size motor is needed or see a performance benefit from it.

call me biased with a 350 and 2419 prop , but I've been in a 409, and 450 and didn't notice much of a difference in performance to mine, except the GPH , the 350 sips gas in comparison.

that being said , I'd look for a 15-16 with new dash, PW2 with a 409,  for probably less than that $93k.

you may have to look out of market to find what you want, but I know there are dealers out west with left over 16's that they would probably like to move off their Floor credit line.

With boat ninja'd out wife surfed 2 hours straight Sunday for 10.4 gallons, 330 SS

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 7:43 PM, tjklein said:

Depends.  The 5.7 and the 6.0 are similar.

Other than being OHV V8's, that is where the similarity ends.  The L96 and LS3 are far more similar, both being GEN-IV SBC's.  The 5.7 is the very dated GEN-I SBC and they don't share parts.

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

Other than being OHV V8's, that is where the similarity ends.  The L96 and LS3 are far more similar, both being GEN-IV SBC's.  The 5.7 is the very dated GEN-I SBC and they don't share parts.

Good point, I meant similar in terms of performance in that boat.  I'm certainly aware of the differences between the SBCs, but I get your point.  The LS3 was worth the upgrade, the 6.0 was not all things considered.   The 6.0 is a workhorse motor though and it earns some points for that.