Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterization - Drain first then AF fluid question

My first season as a boat owner and glad to be apart of the Malibu family. I apologize if this question has already been addressed, but I have read upwards of 30 threads and can't find the answer.

I have gathered that there are 3 popular ways of winterizing the bu.

1. drain everything
2. drain everything then run AF through system
3. don't drain. Bring temp up to 160 then run AF through system.

I was hoping to do option 2, but was wondering about the thermostat. Since everything is pre-drained, will the Thermostat immediately open allowing the AF through the system? 

I do #3, except I drain the quick disconnect hose first.  I recirculate anti-freeze through a flush valve I installed and re-capture the antifreeze from the exhaust.  The entire engine gets fully up to temp and no risk of hidden pockets of water.  You can then test the diluted antifreeze for its freeze point.  Probably overkill but with my setup its really fast and simple. 

What I have is directly from the diagram from @smithouse5 and the pictures on page 2 of the thread below.  It was well worth the effort!  (and thanks again, @smithouse5!)

13 minutes ago, wakerash said:

My first season as a boat owner and glad to be apart of the Malibu family. I apologize if this question has already been addressed, but I have read upwards of 30 threads and can't find the answer.

I have gathered that there are 3 popular ways of winterizing the bu.

1. drain everything
2. drain everything then run AF through system
3. don't drain. Bring temp up to 160 then run AF through system.

I was hoping to do option 2, but was wondering about the thermostat. Since everything is pre-drained, will the Thermostat immediately open allowing the AF through the system? 

4. drain everything and then pour antifreeze into the 2 large hoses on the thermostat housing and into the heater lines

On the side that goes through the trans cooler, raw water pump and transmission stop pouring when you hear it coming out the water inlet on the bottom of the boat.

Edited by oldjeep