Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Touch screen went wacko

The Hulk

Okay so it's been over a month since I use my boat I was excited to get out yesterday on MY boat... go to start it up and I get the message as normal to hit OK or watch video so I hit OK nothing happens... I'm thinking to myself maybe it's because it's cold outside or something and I haven't used it in a month tried again restarted disconnected power switch tried again nothing... I could start the engine but I could not do anything on the touch screen that message was still there.. so I was not able to fill up ballast or anything..

After getting frustrated I noticed when I started up the screen there was a small text box very small very quick and I wondered what the heck is that almost like a input field that you would type text in to... 

Turns out if you have a Samsung Note 7 and a new USB type-c plugged in under the joystick it totally screws and locks crap up and everything is non-functional however you can still start the boat but you cannot control stereo you cannot hit anything on the main touchscreen either totally weird.. 

Luckily turning off the engine then fully disconnecting the batteries then unplugging the cell phone and re going through everything it worked fine I have no idea why it does not like my phone with that new type c USB cord..

Chalk it up to Gremlins?

Edited by The Hulk
  • Like 1

That USB location is used for updates, I was advised by my dealer not to plug a smartphone into it cause it could confuse the system.  Only use the USB in glovebox or dry box by your feet for charging phones.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, t a said:

That USB location is used for updates, I was advised by my dealer not to plug a smartphone into it cause it could confuse the system.  Only use the USB in glovebox or dry box by your feet for charging phones.

Another reason behind the holder should be a wireless Qi charger!

• Like 2
15 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Okay so it's been over a month since I use my boat I was excited to get out yesterday on MY boat... go to start it up and I get the message as normal to hit OK or watch video so I hit OK nothing happens... I'm thinking to myself maybe it's because it's cold outside or something and I haven't used it in a month tried again restarted disconnected power switch tried again nothing... I could start the engine but I could not do anything on the touch screen that message was still there.. so I was not able to fill up ballast or anything..

After getting frustrated I noticed when I started up the screen there was a small text box very small very quick and I wondered what the heck is that almost like a input field that you would type text in to... 

Turns out if you have a Samsung Note 7 and a new USB type-c plugged in under the joystick it totally screws and locks crap up and everything is non-functional however you can still start the boat but you cannot control stereo you cannot hit anything on the main touchscreen either totally weird.. 

Luckily turning off the engine then fully disconnecting the batteries then unplugging the cell phone and re going through everything it worked fine I have no idea why it does not like my phone with that new type c USB cord..

Chalk it up to Gremlins?

Look how hard you worked quickly to go do surf transfers!  Definitely moving in the right direction,. I've never let a surfgate issue top me on my simpler axis cause surfing is the bomb, or as you said, "I had a blast".  Hook up the wife's iPhone and roll

• 1 year later...
On 10/10/2016 at 6:51 PM, The Hulk said:

Another reason behind the holder should be a wireless Qi charger!

Found this old post while searching for info.  I got one all drawn up and started machining/modifying parts this weekend.  Hopeful to have my Qi setup complete in the next couple weeks.  Its not a cheap setup, but I will hopefully never have to plug in my iPhone X ever again!  No more snagging that charge cable.  

2 hours ago, D_Turner said:

Found this old post while searching for info.  I got one all drawn up and started machining/modifying parts this weekend.  Hopeful to have my Qi setup complete in the next couple weeks.  Its not a cheap setup, but I will hopefully never have to plug in my iPhone X ever again!  No more snagging that charge cable.  

Yeaa...yeaa...yeaaa. only because u apple fans barely got the 5yr old technology 😂😂

I'd be interested in how u go about it! Post some pics! I was worrying about the distance between phone and charger. My S8+ hardly fits in the holder with a slim case which is annoying so I don't use the holder much especially since the wonderfully smart folks at Malibu put a non charging USB port there as well.. if anything I may wire that USB as real power/charging and put the USB there behind dash since it's worthless.. plug a phone in and screen won't work.. 

I even thought about putting qi chargers under some of the cup holder spots that are flat..  wasn't worth the hassle for myself only but now that the rest of the passengers all will have three technology it's something to consider doing.. 

U know the best part of being on Android? I can put a charger where ever I want at my house, even go to the inlaws ..10+ ppl..plug in right in the middle of the kitchen, take my phone and leave a charger ... Nobody will swipe it... Ha everyone else always stealing n fighting for iPhone chargers.. it's comical

In a side note I did buy the wife a  DUAL 3A port charging cig plugs for her car.. u need a special (USB-C - iphone Lighting cable) to take advantage of the "faster" charging with the X.. she was AMAZED how much faster her X now charges in the car and then I can keep a normal USB-A-USB-C  for my Android for fast charging..  have this in both vehicles.. amazing!!! 

Note u can NOT use the USB A to iPhone for fast charging it's slower..

Do not skimp in cheap knockoff usbC to lightning cable as 90% are fake and won't actually fast charge.. read reviews.. 

Anyhow this charger is amazing for fast charging both phones..  

https://www.amazon.com/Lumex-2-Port-Charger-Bluetooth-Headsets/dp/B01N7Y1GS2

I'm sure now that apple has wireless charging the bu team will be all over adding qi charging in the boats next year... 

Edited by The Hulk
3 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Yeaa...yeaa...yeaaa. only because u apple fans barely got the 5yr old technology 😂😂

I'd be interested in how u go about it! Post some pics! I was worrying about the distance between phone and charger. My S8+ hardly fits in the holder with a slim case which is annoying so I don't use the holder much especially since the wonderfully smart folks at Malibu put a non charging USB port there as well.. if anything I may wire that USB as real power/charging and put the USB there behind dash since it's worthless.. plug a phone in and screen won't work.. 

I even thought about putting qi chargers under some of the cup holder spots that are flat..  wasn't worth the hassle for myself only but now that the rest of the passengers all will have three technology it's something to consider doing.. 

U know the best part of being on Android? I can put a charger where ever I want at my house, even go to the inlaws ..10+ ppl..plug in right in the middle of the kitchen, take my phone and leave a charger ... Nobody will swipe it... Ha everyone else always stealing n fighting for iPhone chargers.. it's comical

In a side note I did buy the wife a  DUAL 3A port charging cig plugs for her car.. u need a special (USB-C - iphone Lighting cable) to take advantage of the "faster" charging with the X.. she was AMAZED how much faster her X now charges in the car and then I can keep a normal USB-A-USB-C  for my Android for fast charging..  have this in both vehicles.. amazing!!! 

Note u can NOT use the USB A to iPhone for fast charging it's slower..

Do not skimp in cheap knockoff usbC to lightning cable as 90% are fake and won't actually fast charge.. read reviews.. 

Anyhow this charger is amazing for fast charging both phones..  

https://www.amazon.com/Lumex-2-Port-Charger-Bluetooth-Headsets/dp/B01N7Y1GS2

I'm sure now that apple has wireless charging the bu team will be all over adding qi charging in the boats next year... 

My USB charges fine at the holder.  It doesn’t read into the stereo though, which is a miss by Malibu.  And my screens work using that port as well.  

Edited by hethj7
3 hours ago, The Hulk said:

I'd be interested in how u go about it! Post some pics! I was worrying about the distance between phone and charger. My S8+ hardly fits in the holder with a slim case which is annoying so I don't use the holder much

Are you referring to width where it hardly fits?  An S8+ is only .098” wider than an iPhone X correct?  But 0.625” taller, so is it the height that makes it not fit/hold well?    I looked at several specs of current popular phones when I drew this up and the height of the couple really tall phones were the only issues I see.  I am planning on this looking like an OEM installed piece and am going to still use the factory front dash piece with some extra machine work on it.  I am making a completely new back sliding piece, but that makes it where it can only hold a 2.7” or wider phone with case, up to the standard factory width it can hold now.  My thought is if you got a phone narrower than 2.7” with case  nowdays, you probably not worried about the latest tech and a Qi charger is low on your list of priorities. :)  My iPhone X is 3.0” wide with a slim case.

I assume the charging coil is fairly centered in the S8+?   It is centered in an iPhone X.  Do you have an idea how far off center vertically you can be and the S8+ still couple to the charger that has a single round transmitter coil?  Mostly interested in can you lay the S8+ hanging more off the top of a Qi charger(charging coil of transmitter/charger being low on the back of phone) and by how much?  That will be the issue with the really tall phones I see.  If the S8+ has an oval receiver coil, maybe it can be off center fairly far?  An iPhone X has a round receiver coil and can be off center a couple hundred thousandths or so and still couple to the charger.

If I was starting from scratch, I would not design this the way I am.  I would make the back pocket in the front dash piece for the sliding backing plate be atleast 1/4” shallower.  It would allow for a better design.  However, since it is the way it is from Malibu I am making do with starting from their platform.  Like I said earlier, my intention is for this to look as OEM as possible.  I want somebody that doesn’t know better to look at it and ask how much was that factory option. :)

I will get a new thread started on this in the coming days as I hope all the parts/pieces all come together within the next 2 weeks but we shall see.  I still got to get the factory front bezel in the cnc machine next time one is free.  Hopefully that happens by next weekend.

I have all this 3D solid modeled. So as long as I can make the model in real life it should all work fairly well. :)

Edit:  just looked up a S8+ teardown.  Coil is round and appears centered in phone.  This could be a problem without making the charger specific for a tall phone.  I had some ideas about making the coil placement adjustable, but with using the factory front dash piece it is tough.  Not enough metal to work with.   Still interested in how far off center it can couple though.

Edited by D_Turner

You're correct and that's why I haven't really proceeded that was one of my concerns the phone sits up so high I doubt you'll be able to get good centering position and it may not work.. furthermore most of the QI Chargers out there are not technically fast-charging ones they're only like 10 watts.. I think Samsungs fast charging one is the fastest and maybe one or two others are better at 20 watts.. however the further away from it you are it dramatically slows down charging obviously. 1 problems with the iPhones that they do not actually send data back to the charger so it will not tell you when it's done unlike the Androids which can at least with Samsung Chargers not that will probably have a LED light showing from it though... That's kind of why after buying one of those cigarette Chargers that's hard to beat being able to charge your phone up in about 30 to 40 minutes fully from Dead versus Qi hours on end .. although no wires would be awesome though!! I've been looking at a few larger pads.. granted they are 10 watt pads but some of them look like they are built to charge 3 phones and I'm wondering if I can put it underneath the side pocket by drivers arm so when I put my phone in there anywhere in there it will charge.. looks like it's just then plastic bottom under that compartment I think it would be easier.. 

On my Samsung fast Chargers you need to be pretty well centered plus or minus a little bit... Granted there are some other wireless chargers that are larger in size to accommodate this but they're not as fast at least a year ago haven't looked into it a lot since then... But yes the S8 needs to be pretty darn Center....

I have the OtterBox case the Slimmer one on my S8 Plus it fits better than the Note 7 did. The Note 7 was about impossible to fit in a boat.. I don't have the Note 8 yet haven't been motivated to change from the S8 Plus.. I do miss my pain but apparently the S8 plus has a lot better battery life than the Note 8.. .. from all the iPhones in our family I can assure you that most of the iPhone cases out there is that at least the girls use here are much thinner than the OtterBox Style on the Androids.. and I don't use the super crazy big ones either... I would hope Malibu updates it phones aren't getting smaller they should give a little bit more with option there... And they should make the front part bolt on to where you could add spacers for thickness adjustment

Edited by The Hulk