Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 Sunsetter LXI - things to look for?

Steve5sst

I'll be traveling to possibly purchase this boat and I'm wondering if there are any issues that I should particularly look for with this year/model?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Great boat.  Would recommend a detailed service history, if possible.  We had a 2004 SSLXi that didn't have any major issues, sold with 700+ hours 2 years ago and the new owner has reported that he hasn't done anything major the past two summers.

No known issues. Overall condition, options, trailer should be the line items as far as value. I'm guessing it's real nice.

Post pics after you buy it :)

Steve B.

quick edit:  I wonder if they 2005 used 4 blade props?

Edited by Steve B.

Thank you all so very much. After further discussions with the owner, I've learned that he seems to recall being told it has "emergency brakes."  Wouldn't that mean that it has surge brakes? The trailer is listed as a 2005 Malibu Dorsey Tandem axle.

12 minutes ago, Steve5sst said:

Thank you all so very much. After further discussions with the owner, I've learned that he seems to recall being told it has "emergency brakes."  Wouldn't that mean that it has surge brakes? The trailer is listed as a 2005 Malibu Dorsey Tandem axle.

That could mean it has break-away brakes that activate if the trailer becomes detached from the tow vehicle.  Usually there's a steel cable from the tongue area that is attached to where the safety chains attach to the vehicle.

30 minutes ago, Steve5sst said:

Probably just like my 1999 Tandem Dorsey Trailer, surge brakes with a cable attached for breakaway.

• 5 weeks later...