Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hairline cracking in Gel Coat

Snrizedstr

I have a 2012 VLX21.

Yesterday when wiping the boat down I noticed 4 hairline cracks in the gel coat ( I hope only ) at the port side mount of the platform. They all run perpendicular to the mount and towards the port side of boat. 3 are in the 1" range and 1 is 3" long.

These are new as of yesterday, one of 2 big reasons I wipe my boat down every use is to inspect for any damage etc. from the days use. No vehicle has rear ended me or hit anything in the water and I do not beach the boat so it didn't hit a rock or anything of that nature.

Anyone else experience such a thing, should I take it to a shop?

Anyone else hate their Maliview and any remedies for a Maliview that has a different malady every trip just about. Here is a for instance....A month ago my cruise while on speed started acting way more erratic than normal. The cruise would kick off and back on accompanied by 6 and 7 mph swings in the target speed, all the crazy torquing resulting from the engine surging so much was making the bow yaw around so a straight line was difficult. As well while towing my wife on her program and her set speed of 28.8 it would jump up to my set speed of 34.

I switched to RPM Pull two weeks ago and all was great till yesterday. After skiing on RPM I switched to wake boarding pre programmed but the screen went as such....it had my memory of tanks and wedge displayed, filled the tanks and moved the wedge but it kept the RPM screen on and would not allow my programmed speed for wake boarding to operate or display. I toggled through several presets and the tanks began to fill or drain as required, name of program appeared, wedge behaved but it stayed at the last RPM screen used in the speed display part of the screen.

I powered down a couple of times but no change.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

This boat is a wonderful pull and enjoy it but it has been nothing but troubles, I miss my trouble free Nautique dearly some days.

I have left several messages with Mailbu about switching to GPS, as usual I have heard nothing back, not to impressed with their service.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, Snrizedstr said:

I have left several messages with Mailbu about switching to GPS, as usual I have heard nothing back, not to impressed with their service.

Thanks!

Not my experience at all.

What number are you calling?

I have several hairline crack. i attributed mine to shoddy work when i had storm damage. They reappeared quickly after the repair, I think because of hitting wakes.

Spider cracks are pretty common around high stress areas.  Most of the time you see them around tower bases and cleats.  While I do not have any around my swim platform bases I can see that area being pretty high stress. 

Thanks for the replies.

I am pretty sure they are nothing more than stress. The glass does not sound mushy when tapped around there.

my next question..do you think water can work its way behind and loosen more gel coat up? My guess is where it is bonded it is bonded and will remain sealed.

I call the Tennessee number listed on their website and get a Malibu recording. The Merced number is no longer working.

Looks like it is close to the end of the fun here, water is cooling off pretty quick now.

On 10/13/2016 at 0:42 AM, Snrizedstr said:

Thanks for the replies.

I am pretty sure they are nothing more than stress. The glass does not sound mushy when tapped around there.

my next question..do you think water can work its way behind and loosen more gel coat up? My guess is where it is bonded it is bonded and will remain sealed.

I call the Tennessee number listed on their website and get a Malibu recording. The Merced number is no longer working.

Looks like it is close to the end of the fun here, water is cooling off pretty quick now.

865 458 5478

Listen to the options and choose customer service.

Might have to leave a voicemail but they have always gotten back to me quickly.