Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tongue weight too high

williemon

10% - 15% is too much tongue weight for an average boat.  Travel trailer, that number would be right, but almost all of those in that weight range would have a weight distribution hitch.

The different towing rating of a boat vs a travel trailer has to do with frontal surface area of a TT, and the wind resistance that comes along with it.  I have seen that in other vehicles (Jeeps) as well.

For the cost of getting a new trailer, and as little as you tow, perhaps it would make sense to consider spending the $ on a vehicle to use for towing only.  An older 4x2 truck (or full size SUV) could likely be had for less than a new trailer.

Just now, RyanB said:

10% - 15% is too much tongue weight for an average boat.  Travel trailer, that number would be right, but almost all of those in that weight range would have a weight distribution hitch.

The different towing rating of a boat vs a travel trailer has to do with frontal surface area of a TT, and the wind resistance that comes along with it.  I have seen that in other vehicles (Jeeps) as well.

For the cost of getting a new trailer, and as little as you tow, perhaps it would make sense to consider spending the $ on a vehicle to use for towing only.  An older 4x2 truck (or full size SUV) could likely be had for less than a new trailer.

:plus1:We did that for years until son-in-law showed up with new pickup.  It was a 15 year old F250 with rust all over and only one working door but it started and ran well enough to do the Spring/Fall trip to the boat ramp.  I think we paid $1800 for it.

34 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Which is funny since I feel the wind with my boat a lot more on the highway than pulling a 6x14 enclosed trailer that weighs more.

On 10/11/2016 at 0:20 PM, oldjeep said:

Which is funny since I feel the wind with my boat a lot more on the highway than pulling a 6x14 enclosed trailer that weighs more.

You have a single axle trailer if I recall.  That could be part of it.  

I believe boat trailers require less tongue weight is because the axles are further back than other trailers.  This results in less mass behind the axles and the tires are better able to dampen any oscillations.  There's not such a big pendulum swinging side to side behind the axles.  Every boat I've ever towed never even hinted at oscillating, every other trailer I've towed did. 

2 hours ago, MadMan said:

I believe boat trailers require less tongue weight is because the axles are further back than other trailers.  This results in less mass behind the axles and the tires are better able to dampen any oscillations.  There's not such a big pendulum swinging side to side behind the axles.  Every boat I've ever towed never even hinted at oscillating, every other trailer I've towed did. 

Your assuming a V-drive. DDs will have the axles more forward, same weight. 

My Vride on a tandem Extreme trailer is well over 5k lbs any day of the week.

Seems like the solution is to upgrade the receiver.

8 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Your assuming a V-drive. DDs will have the axles more forward, same weight.

Yep, my DD  21' Sunsetter had the axles further forward.  It had a higher tongue weight than my 23' v-drive, until you filled DD's fuel tank, which was at the transom.

• Like 1