Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help choosing truck

cjtpilot

I'm a ford guy, but I'd go with the dodge. The 6.4 engine ford had, had a lot of issues. Also dodge had trouble with the automatic transmissions. The ford will be a much nicer truck, but the Cummins is a work horse. 

The ford with the 6.7 is awesome.

on the 2 listed above , I'd stay away from the tuned motors, only because the warranty may be voided with the tune. 

Ride out your warranty then tune it is you want, but it has more than enough power without the tune

I'd go with the dodge as well. I've owned 2 with the 6.7 cummins and both motors have been great (the trucks, not so much). I had a 08 f350 with the 6.4 blow up with 80k miles, plus ford keeps changing motors (3 different engines in the last 10 years). I would be careful when buying a tuned truck but definitely not against it. In many cases the deletes can actually add longevity and improve fuel economy. 

Of the two you listed, I would go with the Dodge.  People complain about Dodge transmissions, but those problems were solved with the 48RFE (2003-2007 5.9), and the 68RFE in that truck is a strong tranny with stock power.

But truth be told, if I were you, I'd slightly up my budget and get into a new RAM in a tradesman package.  A few less options on the truck, but you will be brand new with warranty.  And any 2013 + RAM with the DEF will get much better mileage. 

Edited by RyanB

^+1... you can get a crew cab 4x4 diesel ram 2500 for upper 30's brand new.  If you need leather have that added for $1k or whatever and put 100k of your own miles on the truck.

ahopkins22LSV
10 minutes ago, cjtpilot said:

Thanks guys, I am gonna have to look into maybe a new one. I didn't relize they would let a new diesel go for that much.

Any 2016's on the lot right now are going to be a deal. 17's are brig delivered so the dealers and the oem's want the 16's gone now!

Go check out the trucks in line for repairs at the dealerships, then decide on what is most reliable. Or talk to a independent diesel repair shop about common problems they run into on different makes.

The Dodge interiors of that era are awful - worst of all of the full size truck brands.

Ford diesel of that era should be avoided as said above.  Basically leaves the Duramax GM's.  

^^^I've heard you say that multiple times.  I am sure there are some that will agree with you, but there are also many that disagree.  My 03 Dodge had a much better interior than my 03 Burb.  The megacab overall has been a very nice truck since it came out, the only huge disadvantage I see of it is you have to want a short bed unless you spend big $$$$ on a conversion.  Chevy has always been my second choice in trucks, with Dodge being first for anything 2003 and beyond.

1 hour ago, RyanB said:

^^^I've heard you say that multiple times.  I am sure there are some that will agree with you, but there are also many that disagree.  My 03 Dodge had a much better interior than my 03 Burb.  The megacab overall has been a very nice truck since it came out, the only huge disadvantage I see of it is you have to want a short bed unless you spend big $$$$ on a conversion.  Chevy has always been my second choice in trucks, with Dodge being first for anything 2003 and beyond.

He is looking in 07 - 09 range. Totally different GM interior... barely different Dodge interior. Though I would still take the 03 GM interior over the Dodge's...

19 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

He is looking in 07 - 09 range. Totally different GM interior... barely different Dodge interior. Though I would still take the 03 GM interior over the Dodge's...

Yep.  Totally different.  And still not better than the Dodge.

1 hour ago, RyanB said:

Yep.  Totally different.  And still not better than the Dodge.

If you say so.  I had a co-worker dead set on getting a mid 2000's Ram.  I told him to sit in one and see how he felt about the interior.

He bought an F150.  I highly considered an SRT-10.  I could have lived with it being RWD.  Best interior of all of the Ram's of its era...still passed on it. 

7 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

If you say so.  I had a co-worker dead set on getting a mid 2000's Ram.  I told him to sit in one and see how he felt about the interior.

He bought an F150.  I highly considered an SRT-10.  I could have lived with it being RWD.  Best interior of all of the Ram's of its era...still passed on it. 

If you say so.  I have two friends that looked at Fords of the same era and chose the RAM because it was a better overall package.

Either way, when you are looking at something that is nearly 10 years old at this point in time, the way the previous owners treated it is at least as important as what it was like when it was new.