Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Reuse Thermostat Gasket

Now that I've learned to pull the thermostat when winterizing to be sure to get antifreeze in the block, can something be put on the block and housing so that the gasket can be reused?  Seems a waste to have to replace the gasket every year.

ok, from a discussion last year, here is the way I used to do it:

• You warm up the engine
  • shut down engine
  • drain block
  • drain manifolds
  • restart pulling antifreeze from pickup into engine/transmission etc

The problem is:  The thermostat may have closed, and before it can open due to lower restart temp, (already pulling in over 2 gal of antifreeze). You shut down while fogging carb.  The problem is....no antifreeze in the block.  The way I figured this out on the old way, after doing this I opened a block plug, and no antifreeze came out.  Convinced me I need to be sure to get some antifreeze in the block.

Of course the solution is to run the engine long enough and use enough antifreeze to be sure the thermostat opens, but how do you know?  I want to be sure.

4 hours ago, iliketoski said:

• You warm up the engine
  • shut down engine
  • drain block
  • drain manifolds

The problem is:  The thermostat may have closed, and before it can open due to lower restart temp, (already pulling in over 2 gal of antifreeze). You shut down while fogging carb.  The problem is....no antifreeze in the block.  The way I figured this out on the old way, after doing this I opened a block plug, and no antifreeze came out.  Convinced me I need to be sure to get some antifreeze in the block.

Of course the solution is to run the engine long enough and use enough antifreeze to be sure the thermostat opens, but how do you know?  I want to be sure.

Drain block, drain manifolds, drain heater

Fill heater core with antifreeze

Pull a couple hoses off the thermostat housing and pour antifreeze in them

No need to be pulling thermostat or trying to suck antifreeze in with a running engine

martinarcher
5 hours ago, iliketoski said:

• You warm up the engine
  • shut down engine
  • drain block
  • drain manifolds

I do exactly that.   I pull my t-stat and fill everything with antifreeze.  Makes me sleep good over the winter knowing it's full of antifreeze and also prevents corrosion inside the block over the winter.  To each his own but I'd say it's a very fool proof winterizing method.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, racer808 said:

I was recently told I can't use anti freeze since I have CATS.  Any validity to this?

no.

Edit - although if you are heating the engine up and sucking gallons of antifreeze through the system then maybe that might cause issues.  dumping in a gallon and a half that gets pumped out in the spring before the engine even gets warm shouldn't cause any issues

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

If you drain your block and restart the engine on a water/antifreeze mix you will get antifreeze in the block.  The raw water pump pumps it to the circ pump, which will fill the block through its water passages whether the t-stat is open or not.