Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
wedge88

Axis Owners - Oil Drain Hose

Recommended Posts

wedge88

Need some help.  Prepping to do my winterization and I cannot locate an oil drain hose.  Usually they are clipped to the block lift points but short of pulling my side panels and crawling underneath I don't see this hose.  I have read people claim they are short so I was going to buy a manual extractor pump and put a fitting on it to attach to this hose so I can drain out the rear drain port but to my surprise I don't see a hose.  Can any 15' / 16' Axis owners confirm this?  

Share this post


Link to post
Simo

It should be there. Mine was on the starboard side on a clip. My guess is yours fell off and is on the bilge floor.

Share this post


Link to post
Raimie

On my 2014 it was clipped with a large silver loop clip to the lifting ring on the block. The hose had a 1/16" of length to spare getting it out the drain hole. Very poor design. Don't see why they couldn't have made it 6" longer. Next year I will use the oil extractor.

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep
2 minutes ago, Raimie said:

On my 2014 it was clipped with a large silver loop clip to the lifting ring on the block. The hose had a 1/16" of length to spare getting it out the drain hole. Very poor design. Don't see why they couldn't have made it 6" longer. Next year I will use the oil extractor.

That is all the longer my Malibu hose is too, works fine you just set the bucket right under it.

Edited by oldjeep

Share this post


Link to post
teamerickson

Here's a picture. You should be able to see where it is in the bottom right near some spark plug wires. 

9B090719-4352-45C4-B716-1454BB307146_zps

Share this post


Link to post
wedge88

Thanks everyone.  Its not clipped anywhere so it must be laying underneath.  I need to pull the boat out of the garage to access better but in sticking my head down there, I didn't see anything and even combed around the oil pan to feel for a hose but nothing.  It must be there somewhere, I just wanted to determine if it was another cost cutting measure.  I was trying to avoid buying a pump if the hose made it out but sounds like it may or may not be the case.

Share this post


Link to post
boardjnky4

The hose doesn't reach out of the boat. The best way to change the oil is to attach a pump to the oil drain hose.

Share this post


Link to post
Giesh164

On my 16 the hose seems long enough, but the problem is that it won't fit through the drain hole. I was pretty pissed at that. I change my oil with a pump, but it's nice to keep the mess outside the boat and not directly over the boat

Share this post


Link to post
MadMan

I had the same problem (different boat).  I solved it by getting a couple brass fittings and a 6" brass pipe from Lowes.  It fits through the bilge drain.  The fitting I used from the  hose to the extension pipe is 90 degrees, this allows the hose to lay flat on the hull (doesn't have to make the bend, possibly making part of the hose go above the bottom of the oil pan) ensuring that all the oil will drain.

Share this post


Link to post
aliscott
On 10/6/2016 at 1:09 PM, Giesh164 said:

On my 16 the hose seems long enough, but the problem is that it won't fit through the drain hole. I was pretty pissed at that. I change my oil with a pump, but it's nice to keep the mess outside the boat and not directly over the boat

I had the same issue with the hose not fitting through the transom drain plug - instead I unscrewed the speed sensor (paddlewheel fitting), which is really easy by hand, and that gives you a 1.5 inch hole to drop the oil drain hose through.

 

regards

Al

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 2:09 PM, Giesh164 said:

On my 16 the hose seems long enough, but the problem is that it won't fit through the drain hole. I was pretty pissed at that. I change my oil with a pump, but it's nice to keep the mess outside the boat and not directly over the boat

does axis not have 3 drain plugs? I guess I only noticed the front and transom plugs on the a20 and a22 I winterized. Is there not one under the engine?

Share this post


Link to post
teamerickson

My T22 only had 2. Rear of the boat and center. 

Share this post


Link to post
lasik
On 10/6/2016 at 1:56 PM, teamerickson said:

Here's a picture. You should be able to see where it is in the bottom right near some spark plug wires. 

9B090719-4352-45C4-B716-1454BB307146_zps

Found our hose clipped underneath to top left is this picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Squirrely
1 hour ago, lasik said:

Found our hose clipped underneath to top left is this picture.

Same here

Share this post


Link to post
EchelonMike

For reference, the little orange plastic fluid pumps you can get at Auto Zone for $10 or $15 bucks just happen to have rubber push on fittings the same size as the Monsoon oil drain hose.  I have used one of these for years on my Monsoon 340.  I just set my catch pan in the rear locker, push the pump on the "suck" side and pump the oil into the catch pan.  It takes maybe a minute or two and all the old oil is out.  Works great, no muss-no fuss.   It takes longer to locate the fallen oil drain line than it does to extract the oil!  :-)  It's there somewhere, good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
tvano
1 hour ago, EchelonMike said:

For reference, the little orange plastic fluid pumps you can get at Auto Zone for $10 or $15 bucks just happen to have rubber push on fittings the same size as the Monsoon oil drain hose.  I have used one of these for years on my Monsoon 340.  I just set my catch pan in the rear locker, push the pump on the "suck" side and pump the oil into the catch pan.  It takes maybe a minute or two and all the old oil is out.  Works great, no muss-no fuss.   It takes longer to locate the fallen oil drain line than it does to extract the oil!  :-)  It's there somewhere, good luck!

this the one?

i'm planning on trying it tomorrow to see if it will fix an odd problem i ran into.  drained my hot oil (dropped hose thru bilge drain) and thought it was too little in the drain pan.  i didn't measure the drain oil since the oil level was down almost a quart just prior to changing it.  refilled oil filter then threw 4 quarts into the engine and i now have far too much old oil showing on the dip-stick.  i'm guessing something blocked the draining oil.  now, two days later, i have too much cold oil in the mill and a suspected blockage at the drain hose.  your suggestion might offer a potential fix.

7c48374d-a0f0-4e3e-8964-f2e2caaf5108_100

Share this post


Link to post
EchelonMike

Yep, that's the one I have - works great.  Just don't get the oil too hot or it will be hot on your hands!

Share this post


Link to post
tvano

$1211+tax at home depot.  

just exactly what was called for.

thanks #EchelonMike

Edited by tvano
price was off

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...