Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New interrior opinions

cowwboy

Well it's time to get my interior redone. It is an 02 VLX

I am going to use the shop my local dealer has vetted and both me and the wife are leaning towards using the carbon fiber design in some of it and changing to a texture type like the new boats for the rest of the boat.

Has anyone else switched to a more modern texture pattern when redoing the boat?

I have seen some awesome conversions come out of viper customs, that is what had been our inspiration for swapping vinyl textures. 

Also we are going to get the carpet replaced and debating if it is worth it to switch to the longer nap carpet that some of the newer boats have. 
I wasn't sure if it would be worth the extra money of having to have every little piece of the boats carpet swapped or just replace it with the shorter strand stuff they used in 02. 
Also is the thicker stuff harder to dry out? Does it compress faster and look worse earlier? 
To be honest my carpet doesn't look all to bad but If they are going to have the boat torn apart I figured it would be the best time to do it. 

A friend has plush carpet in his boat and it stays very wet.  He takes a shop vac to it if he takes on a fair amount of water, never had to do that with the less plush carpet.  Probably comparing 24 oz. standard to 40 oz. plush.  He would prefer the less plush carpet.  Your solution if you go that way may be to do snap in so easy to remove. 

• Like 1

We used Mastercraft vinyl when we redid our 2000 VLX and loved it.  The gray was textured a bit. 

If you are going to tackle the floor I would look at doing something like sea deck or decadence (or any similar products).  

2000VLXnewvinyl1_zpspofag1nv.jpg

Once you get all of the interior pieces removed, the carpet will be easy.  Even the sides of the hull will be easy.  The thicker the carpet the harder it will be to cover the seat bases without getting it to "wink" at you.  I used marine grade carpet with a rubber backing for the floor and sides.  Then used Ozite which is like carpet without a backing to cover some of the trim pieces.  Whatever carpet you use, will get matted down again by the end of the first summer, but it will look better than the matted down original stuff.

18 hours ago, cowwboy said:

The cost of swapping to sea deck or other foam type would nearly double the cost of the entire vinyl/carpet project. 

Look into the Deckadence stuff.  There's a thread in the modifications forum.  You could probably do yours for about $600 if you do it yourself.  It isn't like sewing vinyl.  That's going to be the next thing I do on my boat, I'm tired of the soaking wet carpet, and mine is removable.

44 minutes ago, 67King said:

That's going to be the next thing I do on my boat, I'm tired of the soaking wet carpet, and mine is removable.

We have the removable carpet as well. It is cleaned every off season and put in the boat for the first weekend... and then it ends up getting taken out to dry for a week, rolled up, and left in the garage til we clean it again the next off season :lol:

But then i have to pick up the boat middle of them working on it and get the floor coated so i could have it look decent where you can see the under side. Older boats don't have anything pretty under the carpet as far as i know.

Those with snap in or the decadence, what is under the seats and compartment areas?  

On 10/6/2016 at 9:47 AM, cowwboy said:

Well it's time to get my interior redone. It is an 02 VLX

I am going to use the shop my local dealer has vetted and both me and the wife are leaning towards using the carbon fiber design in some of it and changing to a texture type like the new boats for the rest of the boat.

Has anyone else switched to a more modern texture pattern when redoing the boat?

I have seen some awesome conversions come out of viper customs, that is what had been our inspiration for swapping vinyl textures. 

Also we are going to get the carpet replaced and debating if it is worth it to switch to the longer nap carpet that some of the newer boats have. 
I wasn't sure if it would be worth the extra money of having to have every little piece of the boats carpet swapped or just replace it with the shorter strand stuff they used in 02. 
Also is the thicker stuff harder to dry out? Does it compress faster and look worse earlier? 
To be honest my carpet doesn't look all to bad but If they are going to have the boat torn apart I figured it would be the best time to do it. 

I'd suggest putting your hands on what ever materials your installer plans to use, like a chain, it's only as good as the weakest link.  Although it looks sweet, the carbon fiber looking vinyl in my boat is the only vinyl that's not holding up compared to the rest and it just feels like an inferior material.

What d yall think of doing eva foam sheet instead of the custom cnc'd the sheets are much cheaper. 

2012-07-17204333_zpsaxl2thdx.jpg

I have seen others done like this but can't pull up a picture right now.

Edited by cowwboy
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, cowwboy said:

What d yall think of doing eva foam sheet instead of the custom cnc'd the sheets are much cheaper. 

I don't like that particular texture (too flintstones for me) but I have seen it done well.  IMHO the thing to do is to make really good cardboard templates, then trace those to masonite, then confirm fit and make sure it's exactly how you want it, then use the masonite as a template and cut with with router and 45* chamfer bit.  Should look way more pro / way less "I hacked this out with a utility knife."

http://agendasurf.com/molded-dot-2-tone-universal-boat-sheet-traction.html

Edited by shawndoggy

That snow camo pic is the one I was looking for.

That one is a little bit much on the snow camo. I was thinking more of when all of the seat bases are out do the entire flooring surface with a eva that matched the carpet color. But leaving the bases with carpet.

I'd like to do the routed pattern look but then I either having to sand and gelcoat spray everything else. Or make patterns for every nook and cranny or leave carpet on everything but the center which to me will not be that great. 

Just now, cowwboy said:

That snow camo pic is the one I was looking for.

That one is a little bit much on the snow camo. I was thinking more of when all of the seat bases are out do the entire flooring surface with a eva that matched the carpet color. But leaving the bases with carpet.

I'd like to do the routed pattern look but then I either having to sand and gelcoat spray everything else. Or make patterns for every nook and cranny or leave carpet on everything but the center which to me will not be that great. 

There's a good DIY on the MB forums and on wakeworld, I think, of a couple of guys who stripped, then filled the big gaps with bondo, and then "painted" with a urathane type waterproof coating.  

Here's the MB one: http://www.mbboatowners.com/index.php/topic/2737-carpet-replacement-with-seadeck/?hl=seadeck

Note that he bought seadeck so it was cut in pieces and that's going to take more work.  When I was saying do the template and router thing, I'm still envisioning the "one big sheet" look (as you pictured), just with the edges done a bit more professionally.  

4 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

There's a good DIY on the MB forums and on wakeworld, I think, of a couple of guys who stripped, then filled the big gaps with bondo, and then "painted" with a urathane type waterproof coating.  

Here's the MB one: http://www.mbboatowners.com/index.php/topic/2737-carpet-replacement-with-seadeck/?hl=seadeck

Note that he bought seadeck so it was cut in pieces and that's going to take more work.  When I was saying do the template and router thing, I'm still envisioning the "one big sheet" look (as you pictured), just with the edges done a bit more professionally.  

The one benefit that the MB has is the seat bases are not carpeted too.  That is the annoying issue with these older boats is there is carpet EVERYWHERE.  I have thought about doing a project such as this but the time it would take to refinish all the areas of unfinished fiberglass is just silly. 

On 10/6/2016 at 9:27 AM, Woodski said:

A friend has plush carpet in his boat and it stays very wet.  He takes a shop vac to it if he takes on a fair amount of water, never had to do that with the less plush carpet.  Probably comparing 24 oz. standard to 40 oz. plush.  He would prefer the less plush carpet.  Your solution if you go that way may be to do snap in so easy to remove. 

It's actually the "diaper" bottom that holds the water and you can't vacuum that you can only use gravity and sunshine fir the water in the pad, yes correct go with the snap in, I pull that when still in water and shake it for loose dirt snd water standing on side of boat and then put it on board rack to start sun and gravity drying.  I wet vac it actually to get the dirt in carpet side when dry from  the water, if it's soaked yes carpet is wet and suitable to wet vac, but even if you did that, you still have to pull it or the diaper mildews cause it will not dry,. If it mildews or stains, use straight white cooking vinegar to scrub with your hand and soak snd then flush rinse and dry.  And if necessary for  on carpet or pad side for beer if it sets use more vinegar till smell gone

Edited by granddaddy55

Maybe I was making it harder (or easier depending how you look at it) than it needs to be?

Recalling my 06 vride, isnt the floor carpet on these boats put in before the seat bases?  THen the seat bases screw in on top over the carpet?  So as long as you remove the seat bases when installing the foam, it should come out really clean because when you put the bases back in over the foam, the foam goes all the way underneath the bases.  So no janky utility knife cuts?

On 10/6/2016 at 11:56 AM, Bozboat said:

Once you get all of the interior pieces removed, the carpet will be easy.  Even the sides of the hull will be easy.  The thicker the carpet the harder it will be to cover the seat bases without getting it to "wink" at you.  I used marine grade carpet with a rubber backing for the floor and sides.  Then used Ozite which is like carpet without a backing to cover some of the trim pieces.  Whatever carpet you use, will get matted down again by the end of the first summer, but it will look better than the matted down original stuff.

If he goes with deckadence it will look brand new after first season.  I put 198 hours on that product over the last two years and it is literally bulletproof from stains, mildew, matting, wear, fading, etc. and feels great on your feet.  For $600 DIY it's a no brained imo.  Will be going this route agan for my next boat.  I've always been a fan of removable carpet.

• Like 2
On 10/11/2016 at 2:16 PM, Fman said:

If he goes with deckadence it will look brand new after first season.  I put 198 hours on that product over the last two years and it is literally bulletproof from stains, mildew, matting, wear, fading, etc. and feels great on your feet.  For $600 DIY it's a no brained imo.  Will be going this route agan for my next boat.  I've always been a fan of removable carpet.

Deckadance on the floor would be easy but what about the seat bases and compartments. Should he replace those carpet pieces?

If the carpet bases need replaced I would go ahead and replace them, but if they are in good condition I don't see a reason to replace.  I would remove all the carpet in ski lockers and compartments that are on the floor, you could definitely line those with deckadence.  The deckadence will not mold or mildew like carpet in those lockers.

Honestly, I don't like the feel or look of deckadence. That and unlike the new boats I would have to replace all of the other area's that are currently carpeted that don't have pretty glass under them. 

I think a EVA type product in sheet form for the majority of the boat and routed out patterns for the center access panel and ski locker hatch. Hopefully I can get the interior shop to do it also. We shall see. 

But If i pick a color close to my carpet color, I can leave the sides of the hull and seat bases covered in the factory carpet. So it won't look to far from a stock 02 but be quite a upgrade in reality. 

This is a project I plan to tackle next winter.  My plan is to remove all the seat bases and pull the carpet up from the floor and up the sides.  I will leave the carpet on the seat bases, sub/kick panel, left side of driver helm and the small panel in front of the bow ballast tank.  I'll sand the floor smooth and coat it with monstaliner or something similar.  I plan to use a short nap roller or maybe even a foam roller for the smoothest finish possible without going through the hassle or paying to have it sprayed.  For the hidden sections that are under the seats, rear lockers, observer compartment, etc. I plan to use hydroturf since it's alot cheaper and a local marine store stocks it.  For the actual floor I'll make a template (actually this will probably be the first thing I do since I've heard it takes forever for these companies to cut and ship your product) and install either a Gatorstep or Seadek product.  

9 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

Do you have to pull the seat bases to remove the floor carpet?  I'm guessing yes, the seat bases are installed on top of the floor carpet. Correct?

yes, I suppose you could angle an exacto-knife and cut all the way around.