Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

10+ yr old boat

DirtCity

Hey all, what types of things would you be concerned about for a Malibu lsv that is 9-10 years old? What things come up that you should plan for expense wise? I would make sure an inspection is done and demo but wondered what I should be prepared for. I realize anything used is a bit of a gamble.

Thanks in advance!

This Is from TT but I found it very useful when shopping across all inboard brands last year. My boat Is 12 years old and has been performing flawlessy. We put about 100 hours it this summer.  

One thing I will note is shop owners too. You want to buy from someone that loves his boat. Was it wiped down after use?  Did they change oil after 50 hours or just at the end of the season. Did they store the boat inside etc. Obviously if you buy from a dealer this doesn't work but as as many questions as possible.  

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=257514&postcount=47

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

This Is from TT but I found it very useful when shopping across all inboard brands last year. My boat Is 12 years old and has been performing flawlessy. We put about 100 hours it this summer.  

One thing I will note is shop owners too. You want to buy from someone that loves his boat. Was it wiped down after use?  Did they change oil after 50 hours or just at the end of the season. Did they store the boat inside etc. Obviously if you buy from a dealer this doesn't work but as as many questions as possible.  

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=257514&postcount=47

Thanks! That is a great write up. I will definitely be referencing that article over the course of this process. 

I didn't read the article, but a couple of things I'd be ready to replace if the status is unknown,

-Full service, all fluids, plugs, wires(maybe), cap, rotor, grease the pivot points.

-Impeller

-steering cable

-shaft packing

-engine alignment

Other things to look at,

-upholstery condition especially around the seams

-steering rack, loose or play, noise

-electrical, were things added properly or hacked in

-swim deck mounts, there have been cases where the aluminum brackets wear out causing loose fit

-how old is the battery

-carpet condition

-the aluminum deck plate that some have, is it soft

Good luck. I have an '04 that we are really happy with. I love the fact that everything is simple on her, nothing I can't fix.

In some ways, the older boats that have been taken care of are more reliable than the newer boats, just because they are simpler machines.

You might try searching this site for threads or postings from those of use with similar age boats to what you are looking at.  My LSV is a 2005 and I did everything @Falko suggested above except I did not change the shaft packing or engine alignment as both were fine.

That post on the MasterCraft site looks real good!

If you get a 10 year old boat definitely change cap, wires, plugs, impeller and all fluids and filters.  Grease the rudder and replace the steering cable if it steers hard.  Then have fun putting in all the new little toys into your new big toy.

21 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

In some ways, the older boats that have been taken care of are more reliable than the newer boats, just because they are simpler machines.

You might try searching this site for threads or postings from those of use with similar age boats to what you are looking at.  My LSV is a 2005 and I did everything @Falko suggested above except I did not change the shaft packing or engine alignment as both were fine.

That post on the MasterCraft site looks real good!

If you get a 10 year old boat definitely change cap, wires, plugs, impeller and all fluids and filters.  Grease the rudder and replace the steering cable if it steers hard.  Then have fun putting in all the new little toys into your new big toy.

Ditto, I really can't picture myself ever wanting to upgrade.  I mean never say never but my boat is plenty big enough and most new features can be added aftermarket if I want them.  Plus I do my own maintenance and my boat is simple. 

I think the main advantage of a newer ride would be surf ready out of the box but then I'd have to spend as much as my first house so unless I get a raise.... LOL.  

When I was painstakingly, shopping, researching, posting and test driving boats last year my wife got tired of all the boat talk and one day yelled, "Leave me alone and just pick one already!"  I calmly replied, "you know we're probably going to have this boat longer than our current house or either vehicle right."   The boat we sold to get the Malibu was in my Family for 14 years.  I bought it from my parents when they aged out of boating.  We're moving this weekend so I was right about the house.  

Some people like getting new stuff all the time.  If I could order a new one from the dealer every year and not loose much money I'd be tempted but I can't afford those prices.  In my price range, shopping the used market is too much work but well worth the effort once you get it right.  

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

Ditto, I really can't picture myself ever wanting to upgrade.  I mean never say never but my boat is plenty big enough and most new features can be added aftermarket if I want them.  Plus I do my own maintenance and my boat is simple. 

I think the main advantage of a newer ride would be surf ready out of the box but then I'd have to spend as much as my first house so unless I get a raise.... LOL.  

When I was painstakingly, shopping, researching, posting and test driving boats last year my wife got tired of all the boat talk and one day yelled, "Leave me alone and just pick one already!"  I calmly replied, "you know we're probably going to have this boat longer than our current house or either vehicle right."   The boat we sold to get the Malibu was in my Family for 14 years.  I bought it from my parents when they aged out of boating.  We're moving this weekend so I was right about the house.  

Some people like getting new stuff all the time.  If I could order a new one from the dealer every year and not loose much money I'd be tempted but I can't afford those prices.  In my price range, shopping the used market is too much work but well worth the effort once you get it right.  

Wow sounds like where I am at with my wife :). I have been doing the same, probably over researching.  I kept going back and forth between close to new or older. I am really leaning towards older, given that I haven't owned a boat for a few years now and want to not be as concerned if it really gets used. I also like the idea of simpler mechanics of the boat. The tech and surf are awesome, but I would have to really spend more than I would prefer. Thanks for all of the great info all!

8 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Agreed.  But surf ready can be done for a lot less than a new boat.  I added full integrated ballast (1100, 1100, 600, 400) and automated surf gates for about $3,000.

Another "old boat" benefit is that the investment is smaller so I don't sweat it when the adult "kids" use it.  If I had $100,000 into a boat I'm not sure I would let my daughters or their spouses, or even my wife, use it regularly.

What did you use to install your automated surf system?

32 minutes ago, DirtCity said:

What did you use to install your automated surf system?

@martinarcher system:

Spend a day or two surfing this site, not just this thread.  It'll really pay off!

And welcome to the crew!

• Like 2

I would say it is a very safe gamble, just like someone said above get a boat someone has cared for.  You will be able to tell if they just had it detailed at the last minute to sell it.  But be prepared to fix some little things that may go wrong...(stiff steering cable, belts, fuel filters, fluids).  On the test drive try to find smooth water and vary the RPM and feel for any vibrations.   I have a 16 year old LSV and from reading this site everyday it maybe more reliable than a new boat.  I just start it up and go, change the oil once a year.  Good luck, post some pics after you pic it up. 

My advice is more general too. You have to be prepared to do maintenance, potentially a lot of it. If not, you have to buy new enough to get a warranty. With a dealer close by.

Otherwise, you may be let down. Hopefully that wasn't too generic, but realistic.

Steve B.

22 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

My advice is more general too. You have to be prepared to do maintenance, potentially a lot of it. If not, you have to buy new enough to get a warranty. With a dealer close by.

Otherwise, you may be let down. Hopefully that wasn't too generic, but realistic.

Steve B.

Thanks Steve. Yeah, understood. I realize that just like anything used, you have to be willing to spend some money. Not sure what it is for me, but buying a '17 Axis or used Malibu '15 or older, I just am struggling with doing that. Of course it is the money, but it is also other things like not having a tow boat for quite a few years and not want to learn again on something new. I think my young kids can have a blast just being out on the water. I am not going to push the limits wakeboarding or surfing, so if I can get a decent wake, but have to manually switch sides, so be it. I think my wife is goingt to kill me soon, given how much time I have spent researching this. It has been sooooo much harder than I thought. Boat prices are so much higher than when I had my original malibu....nuts. 

Edited by DirtCity

If you can't do your own maintainence a warranty would be awesome. But if I were buying new I have no idea what brand I would get. I don't live in Florida and there isn't an experienced marine mechanic on every block. I've heard not so great things about every single inboard dealer in town.  

If I have an issue I can usually fix it before the next weekend. But if i had to drive it to the malibu dealer and wait on a backed up service dept in the middle of the summer I wouldn't be happy.  

In Indiana any good marine mechanic worth his salt is going to be swamped most of the summer so I try to be self sufficient.

Nothing wrong with a 10 yr old boat as long as it was taken care of. Sometimes the slightly older stuff was built better IMO. I have a 2006 and its perfect to be quite honest. I didn't have to spend 100k to get it either. 

I have thought about trading my boat in many times. When I do I usually get on here and read the latest topics on various problems members have with theirs and then ask myself "why fix it if it isn't broke". I trust my 07' more than I would trust a new boat. If someone has had the same boat for 4+ years and it is in good condition it has probably been very well cared for.

On 10/6/2016 at 8:17 PM, DirtCity said:

Thanks Steve. Yeah, understood. I realize that just like anything used, you have to be willing to spend some money. Not sure what it is for me, but buying a '17 Axis or used Malibu '15 or older, I just am struggling with doing that. Of course it is the money, but it is also other things like not having a tow boat for quite a few years and not want to learn again on something new. I think my young kids can have a blast just being out on the water. I am not going to push the limits wakeboarding or surfing, so if I can get a decent wake, but have to manually switch sides, so be it. I think my wife is goingt to kill me soon, given how much time I have spent researching this. It has been sooooo much harder than I thought. Boat prices are so much higher than when I had my original malibu....nuts. 

Perfect time of year to spec a smaller a series all white with black tower(actually very sexy with black  tower on white only hull black decal with black trailer with the red accent in axis logo) that you add white rev 10's and amps to yourself cause you get sp1 head unit and four cabins or delete on that.  I have surfgate, wedge(yes it's an option), heater, pnp plumbing only(add your sacs and customize drains snd vents), 1235 acme yes here at sea level was upgrade from 537 ? acme, standard high Bimini, 2 or 3pair cleats, Great Lakes cover(I use to trailer and white doesn't show your rubbing swirls when trailering with)needed a galvanized tandom trailer painted black with the 15 inch aluminum mags(if going salt order salt boat package and you get a better trailer included-wish I had done this for my galvanized trailer), 

i never visited dealer after 1st visit, sent 10000.00 cashiers check and a list many times longer than above in mail.  They laughed and we got to 54500( 2013 for a 14' which was 1st axis SG- no cheap 2013 BU available yet)). I think salt that comes with trailer deleting mine and I think we would have been 59500.  Try ordering a stripped model to get your bearings in price and use it for reference or go with it and have brand new with 5 year warranty and I'm not sure but probably a better drive train ratio as well as cheaply as you can go new!!  It doesn't have to be awesome to become from real avg to real good surfing if you if you ninja the plug snd play and if a have a crowd a better prop than 1235

Edited by granddaddy55
35 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

I'd have to agree, I've seen some pretty good deals on new axis boats.  Still out of my budget, but awesome for those axis owners. 

Get the list to 8 or 9 major necessities only, you get a cheap price with any math percentage built in, PRICE POINT BOAT, but compare to BU price and folks use it instead to be able to check more items which is a good thought as well.  I like total dollar cheap. If I go to grocery I buy what I need instead of a package fir more that is often not a deal unless your at the warehouse grocery.  My bill at check out, less on that purchase.  If your s cheapskate like me that lower total is what drives you, i.e. PRICE POINT BOAT!

resl cheapskate as I will keep this one and at ten years I'll go salt with it and wear it out on beach vacas, so plus maintenance I'm done, found friends with G23, buy gas and rest the axis some weekends all weekend, gas only so super cheap 2nd boat on s lift, yee  haw, I'm way ahead for sales tax and all upgrades to pnp and tower(5 sacs,4 racks, tower mirror  and surf boards , boards snd towable and safety equip , $63500 total, I owe $6300.00 that I actually never paid principle since purchase in 2nd HELOC in 14',next project pay that but too buzy spending the principle  having fun surfing skating and riding, interest $240 I paid a year, so I'm really at  owe $6800.00 in loan snd costs

wife wants the bad a**  g23 with rev 10's stereo now, I tell her $3800 in parts to do it right, she says later cause that's the price of the 8 day ski and ride trip

this approach allows me to buy her gear for water and winter snow ski every year with the difference I saved.  RESULT, she digs all of this and it's no longer "my thing" were doing that she tolerates and supports 

Edited by granddaddy55