Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

450 D transmission

Getting ready to winterize 2002 Sunsetter LXI for the first time. I'm pretty clear on most of it but trying to figure out checking the filter on HSW 450 D V transmission. If i lay down on floor I can get my hand under and feel the two bolts that they speak of in the manual but cant imagine how to see or feel what to do once I pulled those two bolts. Any easy way to do this and how necessary is it? Can i just suck out fluid and refill with clean? Is there anything else that needs to be done to trans annually?

Pull the engine hatch off.  Its 4 screws and <2mins to do.  Well worth the effort. Then change the fluid.

Edited by twitchee2
  • 5 years later...

Joining this thread very late, but I have this transmission and am wondering which 4 screws you are referring to 

Edited by Ronnie
Ad in post

The "filter" on this transmission is just a metal screen.  I had mine out while I had the transmission out of the boat.  I think it would be very hard to get the screen back in and the bolts re-installed correctly with the transmission in the boat.  I'm not even sure there would be enough clearance between the trans and the hull to get the screen out.  Most say to just pump out existing fluid through the dipstick hole and refill.  

I had the clearance to do the filter a couple times, but it takes three hands.  It is nothing more than a cylindrical screen and was spotless both times (year 2 and 5). Not worth the effort in my opinion. I now just swap out a quart of ATF every two years. Comes out looking like new, so, again, I would say overkill.

• 11 months later...