Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
The Hulk

Surf watch receiver location

Recommended Posts

The Hulk

I think there is a fix that relocates the surf watch receiver to the rear for better reception. anyone know where I should look for it and check where it is normally and see if it has already been moved to the rear or not? Not sure what I'm looking for and won't be to my boat till weekend.

Edited by The Hulk

Share this post


Link to post
Ronnie

I'm guessing you're talking about the Surf Band receiver?

On my '16 23LSV, it's under the edge of the top of the transom on the Starboard side (inside the locker).

 

Surf Band.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
The Hulk
2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I'm guessing you're talking about the Surf Band receiver?

On my '16 23LSV, it's under the edge of the top of the transom on the Starboard side (inside the locker).

 

Surf Band.JPG

Thanks will check for it

Share this post


Link to post
23LSVOwner
11 hours ago, The Hulk said:

I think there is a fix that relocates the surf watch receiver to the rear for better reception. anyone know where I should look for it and check where it is normally and see if it has already been moved to the rear or not? Not sure what I'm looking for and won't be to my boat till weekend.

Yes, it's been out for quite a while now.

Share this post


Link to post
The Hulk

Just wanted to confirm its done seems the watch doesn't work all the time.. maybe time to check the batteries

Share this post


Link to post
The Hulk

is it just an RF receiver: wonder if there is a way to boost the range with a small antenna or something

Share this post


Link to post
23LSVOwner

It's a RF receiver. No way to add an antenna to it as it looks to be a sealed unit to me.

Either it isn't located at the back of the boat or the battery in the watch is dead.

Edited by 23LSVOwner

Share this post


Link to post
bbattiste247

When my 2016 arrived, it didn't even have a receiver any where. My dealer eventually installed one, but it was behind the dash and never really worked well. They got a kit in to move it to the rear, and since then it still hasn't really worked that good either. Not sure what to do now. I don't use it that much anyway, but my son loves it because he thinks the wristband looks cool.

Edited by bbattiste247
Took a word out

Share this post


Link to post
The Hulk

i was told even the factory instructs the dealers that they only work half the time... the most annoying part is there is no confirmation that anything happened when u ush the button... i think the Nautique watch shows the settings on the digital display that change so you have confirmation?

Share this post


Link to post
Ronnie

Never had any issues with ours. You get a notification on the 12" screen that the rider has control, can't recall the exact wording.

Share this post


Link to post
The Hulk

My eyes are not so great I'm not able to see the 12 inch screen when I'm surfing

Share this post


Link to post
granddaddy55
On 10/5/2016 at 2:35 PM, The Hulk said:

My eyes are not so great I'm not able to see the 12 inch screen when I'm surfing

Way too much thinking and not enough surfing , I have a free place to stay , book a big easy vaca and come enjoy our most beautiful weather before it is gone, night surfing last night,. It doesn't take a watch to do good transfers, just yell Transfer and go more often and practice like last night!!

2013 NSS had this figured out at 2second intervals  way before the newer rams from Malibu and they don't throw fuses, I have the older slower rams in my 2014 axis and I cannot do it this well in my boat, but I will PRACTICE and yell transfer!

Share this post


Link to post
granddaddy55
On 10/5/2016 at 10:08 AM, bbattiste247 said:

When my 2016 arrived, it didn't even have a receiver any where. My dealer eventually installed one, but it was behind the dash and never really worked well. They got a kit in to move it to the rear, and since then it still hasn't really worked that good either. Not sure what to do now. I don't use it that much anyway, but my son loves it because he thinks the wristband looks cool.

Yell transfer and eat the money for the option in your mind and let it go and practice transfers with out it

Share this post


Link to post
The Hulk

Did the yelling technique today And nailed my first over then back over... After an hour I can finally transfer back and forth with ease.. what a blast today!  

Share this post


Link to post
granddaddy55
3 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Did the yelling technique today And nailed my first over then back over... After an hour I can finally transfer back and forth with ease.. what a blast today!  

There it is more surfing and less thinking!

Share this post


Link to post
granddaddy55
13 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Did the yelling technique today And nailed my first over then back over... After an hour I can finally transfer back and forth with ease.. what a blast today!  

My 14' rams are slow , 3.5 second change but another 2or  more for wave to form, I'm assuming the newer rams are better, the nauti wave forms instantly within  a 2count as I went over it was formed.  Was your wave formed when you came over?  Here you go for some thinking, my boat may be overweighted in rears for transfers , wave awesome just slow to form in the switch.  Hulk I believe you go less in the rears? So the question is is the wave formed when the paddle is fully engaged from the transfer , is it formed when you go over at your 15/16' 1.5 second ram intervals?

Edited by granddaddy55

Share this post


Link to post
minnmarker
34 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

My 14' rams are slow , 3.5 second change but another 2or  more for wave to form, I'm assuming the newer rams are better, the nauti wave forms instantly within  a 2count as I went over it was formed.  Was your wave formed when you came over?  Here you go for some thinking, my boat may be overweighted in rears for transfers , wave awesome just slow to form in the switch.  Hulk I believe you go less in the rears? So the question is is the wave formed when the paddle is fully engaged from the transfer , is it formed when you go over at your 15/16' 1.5 second ram intervals?

Wave formation depends on the gates AND rudder adjustment by the driver.  During transfer if the driver lets the gates turn the boat - and only then corrects - then the original wave will wash out and then take a while to form the wave on the other side.  Once the driver gets good at it and adjusts the rudder at the same time the gates are swinging, then the transfer goes very fast.

Share this post


Link to post
The Hulk
1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

Wave formation depends on the gates AND rudder adjustment by the driver.  During transfer if the driver lets the gates turn the boat - and only then corrects - then the original wave will wash out and then take a while to form the wave on the other side.  Once the driver gets good at it and adjusts the rudder at the same time the gates are swinging, then the transfer goes very fast.

This is true luckily my driver is a former como ski boat driver who was quick to adjust in beginning it made it more difficult but as well I wasn't as good .. as we progressed I was able to catch it very easily with and without him on the predictive rudder adjustments but can say if your driver doesn't do this it's a lot harder/slower for sure and as a newbie in transfers results in loosing the wave. 

I'm no expert by any means just my observations. I was not watching the gates themselves but rather the wave and I've timed it up on the beeps... On mine I get beep...beep...beeeeeeeeeep. so about the end of the 3rd I'm headed to go over.. although coming back I found I waited what seemed a tad longer maybe head over at end of beep. I also have to be closer to boat when I'm coming from goofy because I can't get much backside momentum going so I come closer to boat where wave is less high.. I can barely surf back side.. im like a newborn deer..  

As I got better we tried switching back and forth as quickly as possible catch the wave for few seconds then try to go back almost as fast as I caught my balance switch again.. for fun .. got it a few times .. biggest problem was learning not to dip the nose on going over to goofy.. once I got the feeling it made sense and I can get it easily now.

My 2016 actuators are fast huge compared to my 2013 I'm not sure the old boat would have been possible as slow as they were and my skill level..but hold rope until u figure it out is all I can say.. 

Share this post


Link to post
The Hulk
2 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

My 14' rams are slow , 3.5 second change but another 2or  more for wave to form, I'm assuming the newer rams are better, the nauti wave forms instantly within  a 2count as I went over it was formed.  Was your wave formed when you came over?  Here you go for some thinking, my boat may be overweighted in rears for transfers , wave awesome just slow to form in the switch.  Hulk I believe you go less in the rears? So the question is is the wave formed when the paddle is fully engaged from the transfer , is it formed when you go over at your 15/16' 1.5 second ram intervals?

I have 700-750s in rear on my 25 whatever they are.. dealer says 750s .. WM says they are 700s.. 

Yesterday only had driver and spotter so I filled a 1k bow sac and put it in center of floor. Half tank of gas.. so nothing crazy.. surfed mostly at 11.2-11.3mph. Rpms were 4050

Edited by The Hulk

Share this post


Link to post
granddaddy55
23 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Wave formation depends on the gates AND rudder adjustment by the driver.  During transfer if the driver lets the gates turn the boat - and only then corrects - then the original wave will wash out and then take a while to form the wave on the other side.  Once the driver gets good at it and adjusts the rudder at the same time the gates are swinging, then the transfer goes very fast.

Ok , details on the feathering describing left to right right to left and the steering wheel adjust directions please!!!!!!

is it that you just keep Opposite to the tail end action pressure on the wheel, maybe the guys driving the G are doing that naturally don't know as this comment is new info to me. is it fighting what you feel in the steering wheel to the opposite??

Edited by granddaddy55

Share this post


Link to post
minnmarker
14 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Ok , details on the feathering describing left to right right to left and the steering wheel adjust directions please!!!!!!

is it that you just keep Opposite to the tail end action pressure on the wheel, maybe the guys driving the G are doing that naturally don't know as this comment is new info to me. is it fighting what you feel in the steering wheel to the opposite??

This probably applies more to boats with surf gates than to other trim systems.

Example:

Surfer on the left, right gate is extended pushed stern of boat to the left, so left rudder is required to keep a straight course. 

When you initiate the gate crossover (surfer going to right side) the right gate retracts as the left gate extends, which then pushes the stern to the right.  If you don't turn the rudder to the right you'll start turning left and wave will wash out.

Bottom line: during a crossover, when the gates are moving turn the wheel towards the side the surfer is switching to.

Share this post


Link to post
granddaddy55
1 minute ago, minnmarker said:

This probably applies more to boats with surf gates than to other trim systems.

Example:

Surfer on the left, right gate is extended pushed stern of boat to the left, so left rudder is required to keep a straight course. 

When you initiate the gate crossover (surfer going to right side) the right gate retracts as the left gate extends, which then pushes the stern to the right.  If you don't turn the rudder to the right you'll start turning left and wave will wash out.

Bottom line: during a crossover, when the gates are moving turn the wheel towards the side the surfer is switching to.

Thank you very much!! That was perfect as so many of us are just learning our surfgate inboard mechanics.  I learned how to properly drive inboard just this year after 2.5 years of ownership.  Now my so called pig handling axis, drives like dream even super weighted,. Again thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
granddaddy55
22 hours ago, The Hulk said:

I have 700-750s in rear on my 25 whatever they are.. dealer says 750s .. WM says they are 700s.. 

Yesterday only had driver and spotter so I filled a 1k bow sac and put it in center of floor. Half tank of gas.. so nothing crazy.. surfed mostly at 11.2-11.3mph. Rpms were 4050

A20 We go stupid, 850 rears that when drain replumbed will be 810+, now 725+, 800 stock, 950 front fill 700+, full fuel always 400+, full wedge, 2 150 big bags in bow positioned for goofy and regular by stacking to lengthen give more push to either side and get the nose down, ( and when retrieving we refill the leaks and overflow and vent leaks)next year when rears replumbed going with 3rd bow 150 and maybe or not less in front mushroom bag, true ninja style but I can't go lead and the 150's have two handles for easy repositioning goofy or regularly, it's just to make that real easy I need to put less in the 950 so chillax seats close for walkway and middle bow cushion would lay flat .  We do this cause it's just me and wife regularly.

Recently we discovered that we were splitting the windshield apart at the shell in walkway locker by over filling bad and not listening to bag instructions about wrinkles!, we now keep it closed to judge fill

wr surf slow to jack up the face, started at 9.8 then we moved up to 10.4, with full wedge really shaped the wave like an offshore wave getting ready to break  

Edited by granddaddy55

Share this post


Link to post
granddaddy55
10 hours ago, The Hulk said:

sorry small via a friends txt msg but fun day; 

https://goo.gl/photos/jtwPg8pDT2wbxHbDA

Awesome!! Love your wave, the faster rams make a HUGE diff from what i saw 

As you said, "had a blast!".  if you share save the vid it to your phone you should have a full vid unless he selected down size before sending, this Sunday went in my a20 and failed and @minnmarker gave me the driving physics to make the wave form quicker with my slow rams by countering at wheel into the transferring to side, will kill it like the G vid this weekend, let's keep this up until you winterize or all we go all winter, love vids, just make people use your phone in big magnification with phone straight up snd not landscape for up close vid.  we give up our passwords while surfing to those in boat fir filming with our phone ,.

The continuous transfers have been my goal all year and just made it, but would have made it much earlier this year if I would have stuck with it like I did Saturday night and practiced more.  

This weekend I am going to try 1new thing and 2nd I have been working on

1. a body variable and if I make it I'm going to transfer both directions all four ways surfing in same run, hope to get it before year end!

2. Transfer over and back all the way to water surface with out transferring the wave, bounce over and bounce back, been surfing the foam ball slot trying to learn this 

Edited by granddaddy55

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...