Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me out...

aarondouglasdds

Shoot me straight here.

I've never owned a Malibu before, and is hard for me to get to a dealer (I live 90 miles away).  I was really only considering a 25 lsv until I looked into the 2017 24 MXZ.  I thought they'd be a lot more expensive than they are.  I can swing the extra 10-15k if it's worth it.

Let me tell you what I'm looking for, and let me know which boat you think suits me best.

-  I want a boat large enough to for me to take out my family (5 of us) and another family regularly.  That's 10-12 peeps.

- I want a boat that is easily maneuverable.  The g23/25 boats are simply too big and cumbersome.

- My kids are young (5,3 and 1),so we will be doing a fair amount of skiing, tubing and learning.  A wake that can be dialed down is vital for their comfort.

- Myself and my wife will mostly be surfing (90% of the time) with an occasional wakeboard set.

- the boat will be on a lift most of the time.  However we will take it a few hundred miles on a trailer twice a year.  So trailering will be done.

So what say you guys?  Will the surf wake be dramatically better on the MXZ?  If so, can it be tamed a bit for the kids to grow?

Thanks for the help.

I beleive it's about $5k more for the 24MXZ compared to the 25LSV so it's not a huge difference.  Both are great boats.

I have not been behind either, but a guy I trust says the 24MXZ was incredible and slightly outperformed the 25LSV.  Again, slightly different wave in his opinion, which seems to be common with these new MXZ hulls compared to the LSV.  Everyone says the wave is a bit 'wider' and maybe not quite as steep as a slammed LSV.  The push is still there though.

I have a 25 but if money is no object I would probably consider a 24. I am personally not a fan of the pickle fork nose boats so it would be hard for me but given all of the updates that the 24 has gone through it would be a tough decision. Also the 25 would be larger play pin area than the 24 but the 24 would have a large bow area.. with a larger crew generally speaking for "us" more people are in the back and hardly anybody is in the bow so the area behind windshield is much more important to me.. 

The only problem you have my friend is that it's a good problem to have...

I would like to ride a 24 however the only thing I can say is that the waves behind the 25 is great and is very difficult to mess up you almost have to try to screw up the wave and it still won't let you I would be interested to see how the 24 is.. also I would be curious if they have the upgraded pumps for the Plug and Play like the M.  Being newer the 24 might have something new ballast wise?

I myself have just been always iffy about pickle fork nose and the resale value in our neck of the woods..

Happy hunting!

Edited by The Hulk

I have no problem with that size crew in my 22 VLX.  I'd be looking at that or a 23 LSV if I were you, and get a diamond hull, but there isn't a good way to dial down the wake for the kids at the speeds you'll be going for them to learn.  But the smaller the boat, the more maneuverable it will be.

I looked at 22 MXZ's when I got mine, but the sacrifice to main cabin space since the helm is moved rearward so much turned off me.  

Edited by 67King

My 2015 23 lsv has been fantastic for exactly what you described.  I call it my pontoon because it holds so many people.   Great surf/wakeboard boat.  A little cumbersome for tubing but can be done.  Not the greatest ski tractor. 

• Like 2

Devoted one day to making the round trip and have your local dealer bring both boats to the demo (25 LSV / 24 MXZ). I've done this multiple times, as it puts many of the people I work with at ease and solidifies their choice moving forward...

With that said, the new MXZ line IMO is the best surfing boats in the Wakesetter lineup when it comes to having Full MLS Ballast + Power Wedge 2 + Plug n' Play in the lockers.