Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Interesting video that demonstrates why you should properly load your trailer.

Bill_AirJunky

The ole tail waggin' the dog syndrome. You know, if that were an F150....

Thanks for posting, great demonstration.

Edited by Falko
  • Like 1

Moral of the story: Don't tow with a Mustang and watch out for those giant hands poking at your trailer.

I have to admit, even the initial demonstration would have been more than enough to make me sit up in the driver's seat and take notice. Thanks for posting.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, John I. said:

Moral of the story: Don't tow with a Mustang and watch out for those giant hands poking at your trailer.

I have to admit, even the initial demonstration would have been more than enough to make me sit up in the driver's seat and take notice. Thanks for posting.

Made me think of Mr. Bill.

Ohhhh Nooooo

• Like 3

I never had this happen until when we moved last weekend.  We rented a 15' Uhaul truck, then had to come back for a second load, but swapped the truck out for their biggest trailer, I think 1,900lbs.  The Jeep towed it effortlessly empty on the way there.  Loaded it up with a lot of lightweight stuff that took up a bunch of space.  But, then out come the pots and pans and dishes at the end (basically the whole kitchen) and some heavy basement stuff.  I knew I was heavy on the back.  I could not get above 60mph without that back end wagging, not a good feeling.

Great video.  I found this out a few years ago at the boat show.  I was towing a Byerly Nautique on a Boatmate trailer back to the showroom and I couldn't get above 80 kmh. (50 mph) without it wagging my avalanche all over.  Swapped with another driver pulling a 28ft pontoon and it towed beautiful.  Then I followed them driving a one tonne Dodge diesel and they had the same issue to a lesser extent.  I believe they finally had to have that trailer fixed by moving the axles forward..  It was scary!

1 hour ago, Malibuzer said:

Great video.  I found this out a few years ago at the boat show.  I was towing a Byerly Nautique on a Boatmate trailer back to the showroom and I couldn't get above 80 kmh. (50 mph) without it wagging my avalanche all over.  Swapped with another driver pulling a 28ft pontoon and it towed beautiful.  Then I followed them driving a one tonne Dodge diesel and they had the same issue to a lesser extent.  I believe they finally had to have that trailer fixed by moving the axles forward..  It was scary!

Moving the axels forward or back?  I think it is supposed to help with the wag the farther the axles are back due to the amount of weight in the back of these boats...

Just now, Roush611 said:

Moving the axels forward or back?  I think it is supposed to help with the wag the farther the axles are back due to the amount of weight in the back of these boats...

Correct!  Sorry!  Meant to say the axles were to far forward.  Nice catch!

Just now, Malibuzer said:

Correct!  Sorry!  Meant to say the axles were to far forward.  Nice catch!

I was about to be really mind f'ed. ha ha ha ha

Yea, I've never actually experienced the problem myself, but saw a Uhaul trailer get out of control on the freeway one time. Now every time I see a Uhaul trailer I want to stay away from it.

I had a 24' long cargo trailer custom built for work...length wasn't anything special but it had 9' of head room inside. Towing that thing back to the shop unloaded, without sway bar/WDH setup installed, and a steady side wind...flippin scary! I was doing high 40's on the freeway. With a load and the sway bar/WDH setup it's rock solid even with my truck.

Edited by jetskipro550

When we were running the drag cars one of our partners made the world finals so out to Cal we go. His rig was a built E350 and a 32' triple axle. He was driving the first time but the wag started and it was a eye opener from the passenger seat. We pulled over and moved one of the spare engines forward thinking we might be light on the tong. All went well for hours. Later well I was driving we were going down a nice long hill and it started again. Dammer you talk about messing your pants and white knuckle I was very lucky to have both lanes to work with. An eighteen wheeler behind us the driver was on the CB yelling hang on you have all the black top. I got enough control to get a hand free long enough to reach down and hammer the trailer brake without the vehicle brakes. got things back under control, got to a place to pull over and started doing some serious looking over everything as the  rig was always very stable. Found a broken weld on the hitch.  All I can say is you need to keep the tail wagging to the dog. 

• Like 1