Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 LSV garage length required

Fman

I can't seem to find anywhere on the malibu site on the length needed to fit the LSV in my garage.  I just measured it today and I have 27' of length from my back cabinet to front of garage door when closed.  I can remove the rear cabinet and get another 2' of length but really don't want to do this.  Infact that might push me back into a 22vlx.

Anyone know what length is needed to fit the LSV with swim platform on and using the swing away tongue?  Will 27' work?

I would measure a similar boat and NOT trust the boat builder.  When we bought our A22 I asked this question over and over and was assured it matched the specs but the specs didn't include the surfgates.  I would expect that at 27' you will be ok.

My 2015 LSV fit no probem in my garage with platform on and about a foot to spare as I recall. Garage is about 26-8. Only difference for 17 would be Malibu vs Boatmate trailer. 

I built a 30'by30' garage in 2011. All of my lsv's have fit with the platforms on and the tongue unpinned. Latest boat is a 15 though. My door is 10', which I wish was taller. The tower clears by1/4", which is a little too close for comfort.

The spec sheet has me questioning the data.  My 2015 22 vlx would not clear 7'5" garage with a G3.2.  According to there sheet both a G3.5 and G4 will clear.   Unless the malibu trailer is being built lower than the old boat mate? Or the G3.5 just sits lower than the G3.2.   I'm pretty confident 27' would clear lengthwise, I had about 18" left over with a 22 vlx and a Sportboat trailer.  I know it's going to be close.

Will have to head to dealer to be 100% sure it clears height and length.  Have been so busy with work just have not had the time to get over there.

@Fman you've bought enough boats from these guys by now... they should just bring one over to your house to do a proper garage demo.  It's really the ONLY way you're going to be comfortable.  I do this EVERY YEAR just to make sure nothing changed from the prior year.  Seems every year there's something that makes me doubt it will fit again.  

I wish I still had my '16 LSV; I'd take a few measurements for you, but it's long gone.  That said, I can tell you this... at 27' you're going to be fine with the length.  Your issue is going to be height.  I can't speak for the new G3.5, but with the G4 you'll be fine as long as you plan on taking off the racks and lowering the windshield mirror every time.  The G4 tower literally locks down below the top of the windshield (well almost).  My garage door is 8' and I don't even have to lower the mirror and I easily fit under it.  Lower that mirror and I get another 6" easily.  

Here's a pic of what it looks like all folded up (no racks, no mirror)... 

59B86A9E-5B1A-415D-8992-4AE969C223C6_zps

• Like 2

That G4 sure is nice how low that folds down.  It's strange on there spec sheet it says there is only 1" clearance difference between a G3.2 and G4.  I could have sworn it was at last 4-5" clearance difference between the two towers, especially with the G3 rear tower hoop.  I also just noticed the G3.5 is not listed on that spec sheet, just the G3.2.  I will definitely have to make a run down to my dealer and measure up for peace of mind and try and tow one home to get a real life fit.

3 hours ago, saxton15 said:

Could we assume that the boat length hasn't changed over the years?  My 2011 LSV fits in a 25 foot garage with the platform off and tongue swung in. 

No, that is not a safe assumption.  Surfgate means that you can't compare a 2011 wiht the platform off to a new one with the platform off.  It takes up half the length that you can by taking off the platform.

43 minutes ago, 67King said:

No, that is not a safe assumption.  Surfgate means that you can't compare a 2011 wiht the platform off to a new one with the platform off.  It takes up half the length that you can by taking off the platform.

Good Point.  I didn't think of the gates.  Even still, I think I could fit a 23LSV SG in a 25 foot garage with the tongue swung in.  Other than the gates, the overall length would not significantly change, it would come down to the trailer.   

19 hours ago, saxton15 said:

Good Point.  I didn't think of the gates.  Even still, I think I could fit a 23LSV SG in a 25 foot garage with the tongue swung in.  Other than the gates, the overall length would not significantly change, it would come down to the trailer.   

My A22 is listed at 21'11".  With the trailer swung in it sits even with the bow of the boat.  I have to take platform off and I still need 24'6" to fit the boat with surfgates so I would bet there is no way a 2017 23LSV would fit in 25' garage.  Not what the OP asked but wanted to add a little more info for the google searchers that see this thread years from now.

Edited by wedge88

I have a 2015 and just measured mine. The hull should be the same, but I am sitting on a boat made trailer which might change things a tiny bit. I could sneak in a 25 foot garage with maybe an inch to spare, if I pull the swim platform. The wedge sticks out the furthest on the back, not the surf gates.  I can gain about 15 inches in total length by removing the swim platform before I run into the wedge. I have the tongue folded away and could just barely sneak in a 25 foot garage. It is tight enough that I wouldn't even consider recommending it though. You'll be wall-to-wall just making it happen.  And if any of your garage hardware stuck out, it would probably catching the trailer.   You would leave yourself absolutely no room for error.  You would have to get it snug up against the back wall every time.   I can take pictures if you want to see it. My garage length is about 34 or 36 feet if I recall. In a 27 ft garage, you should be set, especially with the fold away tongue. Can't speak to the height though. I've got a boatmate with low profile tires and a G3. Sorry I can't help you there. 

Edited by JeffK
29 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

My A22 is listed at 21'11".  With the trailer swung in it sits even with the bow of the boat.  I have to take platform off and I still need 24'6" to fit the boat with surfgates so I would bet there is no way a 23LSV would fit in 25' garage.  Not what the OP asked but wanted to add a little more info for the google searchers that see this thread years from now.

Well it does fit.....I'm not sure what else to tell you.  It's very SNUG.  Maybe SG boats are just that much longer...but I doubt it.

Anyway, as you said not what the OP asked! 

Edited by saxton15

Well, they list the hull length at 23 feet (I assume you are talking the 23, and not the 25).  They list the 22VLX at 21'10" so I assume that 23' is 23'0".  That is by definition, the hull.  I am going off of memory, but on my A22, if I pulled the boat all the way up  on the trailer, the tongue would swing away so that the longest point was the boat, itself, and not the trailer.  I would advise you to go to your dealer and make sure.

From there, I would measure the length of the platform to the bow, and see how much length it adds.  Measure the surfgates, but I'd put a long straight edge and measure in the middle to get the best answer since the back of the boat is slightly rounded.  As for the wedge, you should be able to drop it down into the lift mode before you put it up on the trailer to gain some length that way.

If you really want to cross T's and dot I's without demoing one to stuff it in your garage, go to the dealer, and take a plumb bob, chalk, and a tape measure.  Drop the bob at various noteworthy points, such as teh forward most part of the trailer, the nose of the boat, the rearmost point with the platform on, and the rearmost point of the gates and wedge.  Then measure those distances to see what the boat would look like in various configurations.

20 hours ago, UpperleftWake said:

25' 6" with Tongue folded and Swim Platform on.

27' 7" with Tongue extended and Swim Platform on.

7' 10" G3.5 Tower folded down, no racks, and 18" wheels.

7' 4" G4 Tower folded down, no racks, and 18" wheels.

Hope that helps @Fman!

Mason do you know the tire size malibu is offering with basic alum wheels? (15's?) I won't be going with 18's.  And will the boat sit a little lower with stock wheels compared to the 18's?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, 67King said:

Well, they list the hull length at 23 feet (I assume you are talking the 23, and not the 25).  They list the 22VLX at 21'10" so I assume that 23' is 23'0".  That is by definition, the hull.  I am going off of memory, but on my A22, if I pulled the boat all the way up  on the trailer, the tongue would swing away so that the longest point was the boat, itself, and not the trailer.  I would advise you to go to your dealer and make sure.

From there, I would measure the length of the platform to the bow, and see how much length it adds.  Measure the surfgates, but I'd put a long straight edge and measure in the middle to get the best answer since the back of the boat is slightly rounded.  As for the wedge, you should be able to drop it down into the lift mode before you put it up on the trailer to gain some length that way.

If you really want to cross T's and dot I's without demoing one to stuff it in your garage, go to the dealer, and take a plumb bob, chalk, and a tape measure.  Drop the bob at various noteworthy points, such as teh forward most part of the trailer, the nose of the boat, the rearmost point with the platform on, and the rearmost point of the gates and wedge.  Then measure those distances to see what the boat would look like in various configurations.

I definitely do not want to have to remove the swim platform everytime I pull it in the garage.  That would be a deal killer and force me back to a 22 vlx again.  I will be heading to my dealer next week to take some measurements.

1 hour ago, JEFFR said:

Don't forget the racks, they stick up pretty high. You will have to take them off

How tall of a garage door would be required to leave the racks on?  I'm building a garage and thought about a 10 foot door but it isn't very attractive when planning it along side the house (aesthetically).  That said, my boat spends 100% of its life on a lift so it would just be for rare occasions when I'm installing stereo equipment or cleaning/detailing.

Pulled mine in a 10 foot door yesterday to get some audio work done. Fit just fine with the G4 folded down and tower racks on.

Edited by ponderosasurf
4 hours ago, Fman said:

Mason do you know the tire size malibu is offering with basic alum wheels? (15's?) I won't be going with 18's.  And will the boat sit a little lower with stock wheels compared to the 18's?

The basic black aluminum wheels are 14", which I also have the measurements for... @Fman

7.66667' G3.5 Tower folded down, no racks, and 14" wheels.

7.16667' G4 Tower folded down, no racks, and 14" wheels.

Edited by UpperleftWake