Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thunderbolt V coil wire

Winterized the inlaws 04 LXI tonight. 350 Black scorpion with the thunderbolt ignition and about 1100 hours.  Cap/rotor looked like they were toast , replaced them and the plug wires. Issue was that neither coil wire fit. This is the thunderbolt that uses a fancy Delco coil and ignition module.

The coil has a super skinny connector on it, like the old style VW wires where you screwed the round part off the spark plug and attached to the threads.

Done a little googling and not finding much. So for those with thunderbolt, special coil wire or his coil is odd?

@oldjeep:  I have TV IV with standard coil so not a big help, perhaps your local auto parts store may offer a coil wire that fits or simply the coil wire ends you can make or modify the coil wire you have to fit.  If it is a German style connector, your local VW / MB / BMW independent mechanic may have something laying around.  I know not plug and play but maybe a solution.

1 minute ago, Woodski said:

@oldjeep:  I have TV IV with standard coil so not a big help, perhaps your local auto parts store may offer a coil wire that fits or simply the coil wire ends you can make or modify the coil wire you have to fit.  If it is a German style connector, your local VW / MB / BMW independent mechanic may have something laying around.  I know not plug and play but maybe a solution.

Yeah, I'm still looking around.  It isn't exactly like a German style connector, actually more like the connector for an HVS distributor cap - may just be able to use a short plug wire from a newer boat.  Unfortunately that didn't occur to me to check before the boat left for storage last night.  So I won't see that boat until next April but want to make sure I've got a wire for it when the time comes

Edited by oldjeep