Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

97 Malibu Vlx bad hesitation at 3500 rpm with video

http://th_trim.C2EBC281-AABC-4F03-8F8C-2A2C5C13

Boat won't go past that rpm as you can see in video. Oil pressure is at 60-80 .

I replaced

fuel filters, fuel pump, impeller & clean trans cooler, new cap & rotor, plugs, cleaned injectors and fuel rail. 

Thanks for any help

Rudy Muller

Edited by RudyMuller

Which sensor could make the engine not run above 3500 rpms?  Someone with more experience on here has to have an idea? Video works fine for me, I can see light flash on when engine has fuel or ignition issue.

Edited by Shastasurf
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Changed the regulator. Same condition. If  I hold the throttle down at the hesitation high temp light will come on. 

I changed all sensor related to cooling except for transmission sensor. Cleaned all cooling hoses and changed impeller. 

Yes, verified both. I cleaned them myself, but when I removed the plugs and all are clean white except for two right next to each other. More bark brown. 

Great suggestion and thanks for the help. 

21 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Did you clean the injectors yourself or send them out to be rebuilt and tested?

I had similar problem and it was two bad injectors. Can you verify fuel pressure and engine temperature?

Was yours at the exact same rpm every time? Where did you have yours tested? 

Did your boat run like my video? 

Thanks

Edited by RudyMuller
5 hours ago, RudyMuller said:

Was yours at the exact same rpm every time? Where did you have yours tested? 

Did your boat run like my video? 

Thanks

I can't pull up your video.  My boat ran fine up to 3900 rpms, then stumbled and wouldn't go any faster.   Two of my injectors were bad.  I fixed those and ended up replacing the ignition control module and the fuel pump which went bad after the injectors were cleaned or at the same time.  Here is a link to the thread on my injectors

Fuel Injectors Cleaned

Edited by Bozboat
7 hours ago, Bozboat said:

I can't pull up your video.  My boat ran fine up to 3900 rpms, then stumbled and wouldn't go any faster.   Two of my injectors were bad.  I fixed those and ended up replacing the ignition control module and the fuel pump which went bad after the injectors were cleaned or at the same time.  Here is a link to the thread on my injectors

Fuel Injectors Cleaned

You just gave me confidence again. Thanks so much for the help and thread with your issues. Gonna pull the injectors next week and send them out. 

Big help thanks. 

22 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Fuel Injectors Cleaned

This is my e mail. [email protected]

email me and I'll send you the video. 

But click on link. Than it should come up. 

http://vid36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/Rudymuller/Mobile Uploads/trim.C2EBC281-AABC-4F03-8F8C-2A2C5C130C00_zpswtbd38as.mp4

Edited by RudyMuller
6 hours ago, RudyMuller said:

This is my e mail. [email protected]

email me and I'll send you the video. 

But click on link. Than it should come up. 

http://vid36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/Rudymuller/Mobile Uploads/trim.C2EBC281-AABC-4F03-8F8C-2A2C5C130C00_zpswtbd38as.mp4

I watched video on Mobile. Very similar problem. Mine ran great and sounded great until I tried to acelerate past 3900 rpm.  It wouldn't go any further and wouldn't run smooth until I brought the throttle back to where it would be for 3800-3900.  I sent the injectors to be mapped and rebuilt and two were bad. I got them back and the fuel pump died and the ignition control module overheated and died.  Fuel pump and icm had to be a coincidence as the symptoms were different. But with all three replaced, it ran perfectly for 70 hours this summer stopping only for winter. 

43 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

I watched video on Mobile. Very similar problem. Mine ran great and sounded great until I tried to acelerate past 3900 rpm.  It wouldn't go any further and wouldn't run smooth until I brought the throttle back to where it would be for 3800-3900.  I sent the injectors to be mapped and rebuilt and two were bad. I got them back and the fuel pump died and the ignition control module overheated and died.  Fuel pump and icm had to be a coincidence as the symptoms were different. But with all three replaced, it ran perfectly for 70 hours this summer stopping only for winter. 

My boat cut out at 3500rpm than I changed icm, coil, and fuel pump. Now it cuts out at 4100rpm. 

Several people with boats of our vintage have symptoms like this. RTS had a boat that had similar loss of rpms. Seems like your problem would have to be fuel supply or electrical. The curious thing you mention is the high temp light. Is that a. V-drive high temp light or engine temp ?

28 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

Several people with boats of our vintage have symptoms like this. RTS had a boat that had similar loss of rpms. Seems like your problem would have to be fuel supply or electrical. The curious thing you mention is the high temp light. Is that a. V-drive high temp light or engine temp ?

Not the v-drive light. The high temp light comes on after I bump off the hesitation more than 5 times. The check engine light just flashes as the hesitation happens. I have checked all temps at that time with a heat gun. At thermostat 160 at ect 160. I turn boat off and light goes away. Cleaned changed anything to do with the cooling system. 

Also,

My original thermostat failed. That's the start of all the problems.  I changed thermostat to 160 temp and and new temp sender from bakes. Now my gauge reads 180, but at thermostat shot with heat gun it reads 160. 

Also, 

Thanks a ton. 

My guess is one or two fuel inectors are bad.  Send them off to be flow tested and rebuilt. 

Check connections for a loose wire or ground somewhere related to the temperature issue.  180 shouldn't put you in limp mode or cause any problems. 

Edited by Bozboat

Sorry just getting to this thread so late...but like Boz said above, I had the EXACT same condition you are describing.  Boat normally ran 5K RPM.  Over time, got down to about 4200.  Threw a bunch of parts at it (Plugs, plug wires, cap rotor, coil, fuel pump :(...the works).  Gained a couple hundred back, if that.  Sent injectors out for ultrasonic cleaning and I was back to 5K just like that (actually 5050, which I had never seen before).  I'd bet a dollar you need to do the same.  I'd bet you are experiencing some degraded performance at lower RPM, just might not recognize it as you are focused on not getting the RPM you expect.  After injector cleaning I noticed a huge difference throughout the entire power band.  Since you have the skills to get the injectors out yourself, should only cost $200 or so for a proper ultrasonic cleaning and new O-rings.  Lots of place on the net to send them to...and they typically turn them around within a day or two.

Edited by RTS
  • Like 3
  • 5 months later...

Update. Put new injectors in the boat and put the boat back in perfect timing. Distributor came loose. Ran boat today and I still have the same issue at the same rpm with the same 180 engine temp. Boat runs amazing till I hit 4100 rpm.