Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone have a Land Cruiser or LX470?

Chatty21VLX

I have an '05 4runner with the 4.7 V8.  It's rated for 7k.  Towing 5k is fine.  I wouldn't do much more than that.  I have replaced the shocks and added air springs to the rear and it does great.

On 10/3/2016 at 7:23 AM, Chatty21VLX said:

I think the early 2000's have a 6,500lb tow rating. Any crew members have one and can report on towing?

I have a 2004 Sequoia which is a similar vehicle.  I towed a 22vlx last season, no issues.  Also know someone with same year towing a 22 mxz.  It's not going to set any speed record pulling grades but will get you safely to the lake.  I did add rear air bags which helps quite a bit.  Great article I read about a 2004 tundra towing an 8000 lb boat with no issues, vehicle was rated at 6500 lbs.  They did not realize the 27' weighed this much until after the test.  IMO the sequoia is very under rated on towing capacity, it's a heavy vehicle, never once did I feel the boat push the vehicle.  I am on my 8th season towing with it, all I do is drain and refill trans every spring.  I always say every year I'm getting a new tow vehicle but this thing just keeps chugging along.   When something grenades I will replace it.  Definitely don't tow in over drive and your gas mileage will be terrible towing, about 8-9 mpg.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Lexus GX 460 (460=4.6L).  470 I assume is a 4.7L.  My boat is smaller (VTX) but with dual batteries, gear, and trailer I'm sure I'm around 5,000#.  No issues towing.  It is rated to tow 6,500#.  Tows much better than my prior Mercedes ML320 (Diesel).  I can feel the boat behind me but it's certainly not an issue, tows up hills and boat ramps like a champ!

Just remember to use that 4LOW when pulling the boat out of the water, really helps take a lot of stress off the transmission with the gear reduction of the transfer case.

Edited by Fman
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 2:43 PM, Sixer said:

I have a Lexus GX 460 (460=4.6L).  470 I assume is a 4.7L.  My boat is smaller (VTX) but with dual batteries, gear, and trailer I'm sure I'm around 5,000#.  No issues towing.  It is rated to tow 6,500#.  Tows much better than my prior Mercedes ML320 (Diesel).  I can feel the boat behind me but it's certainly not an issue, tows up hills and boat ramps like a champ!

my dad had a gx470 that got totalled and now has a gx460. Both decent enough for the 4k I towed with them.  plenty of power but not enough weight or wheelbase for.my taste on long tows. The 470 was better, but mainly because it had the air suspension which his 460 does not. I will say that they take a heck of a hit, 40mph rear ending by a full sized pickup and it was almost repairable.

The trans on my avalanche is getting clunky. I changed the filter and fluid last week, and it didn't help much, if at all. I've been looking for a new tow vehicle for 7 months, and still no luck. I liked the LX470, but they seem to have known issues with the automatic height control. It can be fixed by replacing with Land Cruiser suspension, but that defeats one of the "luxuries" of the Lexus vs Toyota. I haven't been able to find a comparable condition Land Cruiser yet...

I had a 2002 LX460 and absolutely loved it! Towed a 23' Sanger at the time with a bit of effort on some steep hills. The only time I was thought twice about it was when I had seven adults, the boat full of fuel and gear going up 6-7 degree grades. It made it, but wasn't going to break any speed records! 190K without having to change a single mechanical component.

Can you consider an 08 or up? That extra 120hp and updated chassis really helps and the mileage is about the same. Mine tows pretty well in spite of the relative short wheelbase. Very little squat.

IMG_1110_zpsknys7nll.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

4996d74b-8866-4177-9ada-b31dda8c55f5_zps

2015 Cruiser tows the smaller VTX no worries. In Aus it has a 3500Kg tow capacity (Approx. 7700 pounds) Twin Turbo V8. The earlier cruiser 2010 I had towed about the same, but had a manual gearbox / transmission option.