Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 Axis A22 OVERHEAT

TC_2006_VLX

So this last weekend my father in law was kind enough to drop the boat in the water for me, so i could get a set in before it got dark. While running it back to the dock from the launch the motor over heated, but did so with no alarm. I assumed that it either blew an impeller or had weeds caught somewhere in the tran/oil coolers. I checked all of these areas and all 3 checked out with no issues. I proceeded to tear into every water line and still find no blockage. I checked to make sure impeller is moving water and it definitely has flow through out different hoses. It appears that not enough water is getting to exhaust manifolds, but the rest of the boat is getting adequate water for cooling. Any ideas what this gremlin could be? I missed the nicest water i have ever seen on our lake because of it :(

Edited by TC_2006_VLX
edit text

Do you know if your boat was ever checked for the recall that they had on 2012 water pumps? See if your serial number is in the range, if it is then contact indmar or dealer to look up if recall was performed.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/48353-indmar-service-bulletin/

Edited by oldjeep
3 minutes ago, TC_2006_VLX said:

It seems like the engine is getting water; however, the exhaust manifolds appear to be getting starved of water.

If that is the case that would be the circulating pump...

If it is not actually a water circulation problem it could just be a bad temp sender. What does the gauge read when the engine is cold? When the sensor is unplugged?

21 minutes ago, TC_2006_VLX said:

It seems like the engine is getting water; however, the exhaust manifolds appear to be getting starved of water.

Yup, that would be one sign of a failing circulation pump.  Did you check your engine serial number?

Edited by oldjeep

temp gauge reads at 65 when the boat is just starting.

I will be diving in there this AM to see what teh serial number is. Should that number just be on the back plate?

Just now, TC_2006_VLX said:

temp gauge reads at 65 when the boat is just starting.

I will be diving in there this AM to see what teh serial number is. Should that number just be on the back plate?

I'm not sure where on the engine it was, I just pulled the serial from my paperwork.   Easiest way would be to call MN inboard and give them your HIN and they can look it up for you.

59 minutes ago, TC_2006_VLX said:

Found my motor number but actually need serial number from the pump sadly.

Well sorta.  What you need is your motor number, then you see if your serial is in the recall range (Model 5.7L Engines with Serial Numbers from 170158 to 172350)

Then if it is you contact Indmar or your Malibu dealer so that they can look up in the system if the recall check was done on your engine serial number.  If it was not then you bring it to the dealer, they pull the pump to check it and either put it back on or replace it.  All free of charge since it is under recall.

Edited by oldjeep

Having exhausted all of my knowledge and skills I decided to bring my boat into Ski Boat Solutions for expert guidance on the overheat issue. Jim performed several test and called Indmar for the expert guidance. Being the motor is a 2012 5.7L 335hp with a serial number of 169262 the Indmar representative advised like this sounded like a recall issue that was active. The recall number is B2013-1 Water Circulating Pump Replacement. Jim proceeded to pull the pump and find that in fact it had failed just as the representative had predicted. Please see the attached photo of the failed pump with cracked bronze impeller. Jim proceeded to call back into Indmar to speak with the representative again confirming that this would be covered under the recall providing the pump serial number 11212p1311. However, the indmar representative said that it was not eligible for the recall due to not being their exact range of being serial number below 12027. Jim and the representative confirmed multiple times that the recall was in fact covering this exact issue, on this exact motor, for this exact year. The representative additionally said it would not be eligible for the motor warranty as my warranty started in April 2012 and expired in April 2015. The representative said sorry we can do anything for you even though this bronze impeller failure is a known issue with an actual recall published.       

I have always been loyal to Mastercraft and Malibu boats as I was firm believer in the power plant (motor) behind them. I totally understand that recalls happen; however, I have been extremely disappointed in how this motor issue has been handled especially with it being a known issue. This experience has made me question my loyalty as the loyalty I have does not appear to be reciprocal.    

8 minutes ago, TC_2006_VLX said:

Yup, that is what the recall was for.  Interesting that they are saying it is not in the range. 

Your engine serial number is before the range  169262  recall is for (2012 Model 5.7L Engines with Serial Numbers from 170158 to 172350)

Your pump is in the range 11212p1311 is below 12027

Too late now, but I suspect that taking it to MN Inboard would have resulted in a different outcome since they have way more pull with Malibu/Indmar.   If it were me I would send an email to both Malibu and Indmar stating that you have a pump within the defective range with an engine serial that is slightly before the defective range and see if you can convince them to cover it anyways.

Edited by oldjeep

They said that the bronze impeller has been known to crack as mine did.

The indmar tech originally said to look there for that recall issue when provide my engine number.

I just got off the phone with Indmar and Jim is going to give them a call. I will keep you posted on what they say.

Being this happened over the weekend and Jim was kind enough to take my calls I brought it to him for further digging since he was up to speed. I figured an indmar approved dealer is a indmar approved dealer.

4 hours ago, TC_2006_VLX said:

They said that the bronze impeller has been known to crack as mine did.

The indmar tech originally said to look there for that recall issue when provide my engine number.

I just got off the phone with Indmar and Jim is going to give them a call. I will keep you posted on what they say.

Being this happened over the weekend and Jim was kind enough to take my calls I brought it to him for further digging since he was up to speed. I figured an indmar approved dealer is a indmar approved dealer.

Good, I'll bet they wind up taking care of it.  What should Indmar care anyways since they should just be billing it back to GM who supplied the bad pumps.