Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 tower options.

aarondouglasdds

There are a few posts on here where I have mentioned a lot if difference. 

G3.5 is better than previous G3...but a G4 has numerous advantages and PTMs is huge. Speaker placement allows swiveling racks fully inward for boat lifts. Locks down for trailering.. better Bimini with pockets storage and holds 2 surf boards on top nicely. 

I'd do the G4 with 450 over a g3.5 and 572 any day. Well worth it and resale will be better down the road IMO the G4 is more modern. Will they still make a g3 series 5yrs from now? Doubt it..

It's slightly taller though..but locking down during trailering is huge..

I could never go back to a 3 series after having used mine for a few days .. 

2016 was still the G3.2, right?  In any case, Hulk nailed most items.  Don't be scared of the G3. Many people have it and it is a solid tower. You can also put PTM clamping racks on a G3, but they were standard on the G4. If you have to fold the tower often, G4 seems to be favored.  G3 racks swivel too but perhaps not as far as G4.  

Opinions vary.  I'm ordering a new G3.5 with PTM racks ($1,900 option to upgrade racks).  That was $5100 less than getting a G4 with PTM racks.  Personally I like that the G3.5 slants forward more and seems a little more sleek.  It just looks better to my wife and me.  The new locking system on the G3.5 is WAY better, not to mention a sturdier tower base for 2017.  

The G4 is cool, but $5,100 is 1/2 my stereo and I prefer the looks.  If you go look at OnlyInboards or BoatTrader you'll see very little difference in resale.  If the G4 and the G3.5 were the same price I might still go G3.5.  It's just my personal preference.

I do like that the G4 locks down, but my boat spends most of it's time on a lift so that's a non-issue for me.

Edited by tjklein
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

2016 was still the G3.2, right?  In any case, Hulk nailed most items.  Don't be scared of the G3. Many people have it and it is a solid tower. You can also put PTM clamping racks on a G3, but they were standard on the G4. If you have to fold the tower often, G4 seems to be favored.  G3 racks swivel too but perhaps not as far as G4.  

Major issue is swiveling boards into speakers because in G3s speakers are on shelf's (not from top)... So boards hit speakers  not allowing them clearance in a 120-122" wide boat lifts so u have to take boards off.. racks ... PIA .. especially with bungees... So if u do get g3 make sure u upgrade to PTMs..but u might as well. Go g4 at that point.. 

On the other hand I am now often using my Bimini surf holders so I don't even have to swing them in... my neighbor and I were joking that if they made the biminis that held surfboards like the one on The G4 years ago they're probably would never have been racks on the sides... Anyhow bungees are a thing of the past.. but it's just crazy money for PTMs but as stated they are included on the G4s I've seen.

If u put in a garage the g4 locking down is a big deal as well.. especially if nobody is in the boat to pull tower down for u while u get through the door.

Good luck with the decision!

Note if u flip the forks so wide opening is down u can clear speakers mounted above the shelf. The problem is that around here they are low and will often hit dock posts when parking at restaurants and docks etc.. 

I had the G3.2 of my 2015 22 VLX, I had no complaints on the overall construction and stability of that tower, put 198 hours on the boat with it.  Now the GL bimini is a PIA to stow once you have it up, and I am also done with the bunji racks.  I will be going with the G4 w/PTM quad racks on my 2017.  For me there are numerous reasons for the G4 this time around,  speaker placements on the G4 I prefer, I am tired of the lower speakers on the G3 towers roasting people ears in the back seat.  I also really like the idea of being able to tow with the tower stowed creating less drag and to avoid all the bugs on the tower especially leaving the lake in late evenings.  The bimini on the G4 also seems to be a better design.  G4 is also the only tower that I can order that will fit under my garage which is a must.  I also prefer the look of the G4, it really has grown on me over the past year and ready to try something different after having 3 different G3 towers (2011,13,15).

• Like 3

My 3.2 has clamping racks.  Comments above seem to infer that that isn't possible, but it certainly is.

Also, the lower racks swing in just fine.  If you have more than 4 different boards, then I can certainly see that point........but how often will you?  Especially if you have pockets in your Bimini, which is also available on the 3.2.

I'm in the crowd that thinks the 3.2 looks better, and do not need what the 4 offers so I can't justify the cost.  But I also am good with a 22' boat.  A 25 might be different (and the cost premium would be lower relative to the cost of the boat).

Good luck, regardless.  The both look better than most of the other gaudy ones out there. 

I remember when the G4 was released, I definitely was not a fan of the look.  After getting my hands on one and seeing how well they are engineered it definitely is impressive.  When outfitted with quad PTM racks and some Exile speakers...IMO a dang nice combo :-)

One of the reasons I did a stereo delete on my last boat was to save a chunk of change which allows me to splurge on other upgrades like a G4 this time.  However, I do think the G3.5 is the best looking G3 tower I have seen yet.  The larger base and new locking handles are a great upgrade from the G3.2.