Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newbie looking for First Boat - Advise needed ! Would this work.

Adog8

Price has been dropped to 27k still high but moving in right direction ...  question would a boat like this be able to provide a quality surf.. as stated before we are just getting started in boating as a family. Didn't know if the 325 monsoon would have the power? 

1 hour ago, Adog8 said:

Price has been dropped to 27k still high but moving in right direction ...  question would a boat like this be able to provide a quality surf.. as stated before we are just getting started in boating as a family. Didn't know if the 325 monsoon would have the power? 

If you add the recommended aftermarket ballast and some form of gate/wake-shaper then yes, the wave will be pretty good.

There are threads on how to get a good surf wake from this hull. If you want to go fully automatic ballast with reversible pumps, it will cost about $2,000, maybe more.

Looks identical to ours, although it's and 01. I'd say it's priced pretty high. I'd say more like 23-24. That's what we got ours for last year in mid April. It also is loaded, with upgraded reversible pumps(750 rears, center, 600 bow) and I'd also recommend perfect pass stargazer if it doesn't come with it. Ours also has the hammerhead motor in it. Things is a beast. If you can snatch it up for under 24 I'd do it...

Edited by Rambino21
On 10/3/2016 at 5:20 AM, Adog8 said:

I saw that lsv online ... I would love the extra room.  From the looks of the pictures it seems to be in decent shape... I will keep my eye on this one and let you know .. Thanks for the offer .. 

I am guessing that the older lsv would be a good boat to start out on with the girls 

Definitely take a good look (test drive) at a 23...the room is very nice to have.  You won't regret it.

I bought my 05 VLX at the end of August 2015.  It is in wonderful shape, and only had 150 hours on it.  Boat is pretty much loaded with a very nice trailer.  They were making $42, I offered $32 and they took it.  I am pretty sure they didn't want to sit on it through the winter.  I also got them to throw in a new Malibu swivel in board racks, $400 surf board and rope, $100 comp vest, $250 two person tube, winterization and indoor storage.

Edited by Fred4

You can definitely surf that boat. The 05-08 models will feel much bigger inside and have a better surf wake, but that is a nice hull and boat. 

You will need a prop and at least 800 bucks in bags (2-1100 lb bags for the rear replacing the factory hard tanks and a 1000 pound bow bag will do it. Plus a 1235 or a 2419 prop. 

I have a lake place and still would love a 23. Two families of 5 in my boat gets cramped. I just got a steal on my boat. 

Down to possible 25k plus tax(uggghh) I didn't think you had tax with consigned items...but I have asked around and it seems there is ... have a great weekend all ... 

95echelon, 

Thanks ! what 1100 will fit in the rear lockers? 

Also what bow bag would you recommend and or are using 

Thanks !! 

Edited by Adog8
Additional info
On 10/4/2016 at 10:48 AM, Adog8 said:

Thanks all .. I offered 22k cash for the boat and was told to pretty much have a nice day ... search goes on .. 

Did they counter?  I think that boat, assuming it is in as nice a shape in person as it looks in the pics, is worth way more than $22K.  4 JL audio 7.7  tower speakers are $1200 by themselves.  A new tandem trailer with modern items like disc brakes and oil bath hubs is easily worth a few $K more than a trailer that's 2002 vintage.  Condition and maintenance also makes a big difference.  I know it's season end so that will help the buyer vs the seller at this point, but see if you can find a happy middle ground.

If this boat looks perfect, runs perfect, and you love everything about it, don't be afraid to buy it if it's a little on the high side of the valuation.  You get what you pay for and when you go to sell down the road, it will be worth more than others.

Good luck!

-- Mike

put a deposit on it last night ... Feel pretty good about the deal.  Tomorrow, I am scheduling inspection and lake test. If all goes well I will own my first boat!  For exception of a few minor details it Is extremely clean. Hopefully everything checks out so I can get it in the water a few times before winterizing .... Thanks everyone for you help . I will keep everyone posted .. 

Compression came back at 

lake test scheduled for tomorrow

thanks all ! 

Edited by Adog8
  • Like 3
On 10/27/2016 at 0:42 PM, Adog8 said:

Sold .... thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions ...

Hopefully we will have some nice weather to take it for a spin this weekend ...

Aww, I just now read followed up on this. Congratulations !  I'm guessing you stole that sweet ride !

Steve B. 

Here is a quick Photo from yesterday.  

Took the VLX to my friends lake house at Lake Lanier (north of Atlanta).  The boat towed nicely and had zero problems backing it down ramp.  The Monsoon fired up right away and slowly backed off the runners.  I will say the engine cut off as I gave more reverse.  I turned over the engine again and it fired up right away and had zero issues the reset of day (turning off and on many times for docking etc. even stopping for lunch for about and hour or so) 

Any suggestions here what might have caused this.  I will say I haven't checked fuel filter or know how long the gas was in the tank. we went though about 1/2 tank yesterday.  The engine was very strong and my Friend who owns a new Tige was impressed with the power. I never hit full throttle but both speedo were well above 40 mph.  All ballast tanks filled and drained nicely (std setup) The Stereo was extremely impressive and the two subs help be find any rattles or loose ends which there were none lol. 

All gages worked and used the perfect pass quickly ( I need to spend more time with it to understand it fully) Engine temp stayed at 165 all day long even when running the boat at higher speeds/ tubing etc..  I will get some more picts of interior but I will say it is extremely clean ...just a few very minor items.... 

1) I need to replace a few shocks (engine cover and glovebox) 

2)Add a few straps to hold bimini back (looks like they have broken off 

3)touch some minor paint that has chipped off tower 

4) I am also going to remove belly bag and clean. I would be interested to know if I could connect the future under seat bow bag and the belly bag together for one zone to run off dash. ( I will check out the dedicated thread for this as well) 

5) most importantly enjoy the hell out of it ! 

Thanks

image1_zpsmduorxyr.jpegIMG_1044_zpslnztv00m.jpg

• Like 4

Mine

56 minutes ago, Adog8 said:

I will say the engine cut off as I gave more reverse.  I turned over the engine again and it fired up right away and had zero issues the reset of day (turning off and on many times for docking etc. even stopping for lunch

Mine is a little cold natured too, has this same problem for the 1st minute or so.  Always runs great after it has a little heat in it from running.

Edited by MadMan
  • Like 2

Thanks for letting me know on the cold start .... I figured since the engine ran so strong it just needed some warm up time.... 

One other observation .... I hope these are not blisters but there are two sections of the boat (both on lower Port and Starboard on Stern 

It is at the water line .... I do know this boat was in Dry storage for last good number of years.  and I will not be leaving this boat in water for extended periods of time (95% Boat will be out of water on trailer  

they are about 1/2 the size of an eraser head - is this print through (looks like and orange peel finish)  hopefully it's nothing serious .. if its cosmetic I am not worried at all however if its something I need to take care of I will get this done soon. 

IMG_1046_zpsed0codqj.jpg

Edited by Adog8