Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newbie looking for First Boat - Advise needed ! Would this work.

Adog8

Hello TMC, 

I have been looking on this forum for last few months I have been looking to get a boat for our family to use in the Lakes around Atlanta (Mostly Blue-ridge).  I have looked at a few boats and a dealer contacted me on a 2002 VLX with 357 original hours its comes pretty much loaded with most of the features offered back then.  It looks to me that some $$ has been spent on upgrading the Stereo.  We are a family of 5 (3 girls 9,7,4) all love going to the lake with Friends.  I can see Tubing Kneeboarding/ Wakeboarding for the kids.  I learned to surf this summer on the back of my friends G23 (nice boat can't afford it though)  this boat has the Std Ballast system. I will be storing this boat at my fathers house (about 5 mins away) and will be protected under a shed.  We looked at a 07 210 that was in really nice shape however, I didn't like the tower that was on the boat (extremely heavy) also I though the boat layout might be tight when it come time for my daughters inviting friends etc ... Ultimately I would like to have 4 adults and 6 kids (younger kids) and be able to enjoy the lake on the water for 4-5 hours. Please let me know your thoughts on this boat below it is at a local dealer on consignment.... again its a 202 vlx with 357 hours the dealer thanks it can be bought for 28k (also includes 2012 Trailer EZ-Loader and Cover) Thanks!

IMG_1271%201280x960_zpsrfqcqywa.jpgIMG_1269%201280x960_zpsjecz3ade.jpg

IMG_1262%201280x960_zpsrocjx7uw.jpgIMG_1264%201280x960_zpswmb9vohr.jpgIMG_1283%201280x960_zpsctakji0y.jpgIMG_1272%201280x960_zps4m1kgewg.jpgIMG_1274%201280x960_zpsx4izdrib.jpgIMG_1280%201280x960_zpsefxtb8q8.jpgIMG_1286%20960x1280_zpswao0vh4y.jpgIMG_1284%201280x960_zps7ti1oomm.jpgIMG_1282%201280x960_zpsrgmopho6.jpg

Price seems high (way high).  From your description of how you will use the boat seems like a good fit.  I see it is at a dealer.  Is it by chance a consignment boat? Bet there is a lot of wiggle room on that boat regardless.  I'd try to get them into the very, very low $20's on that..

EDIT...I see that it is on consignment at the dealership. A month or two into winter and you could probably pick that up for $22K or thereabouts.  The boat was probably not more than $40K brand new 15 years ago.

Edited by RTS

Which engine (looks like a monsoon 335??)? Any maintenance history? It looks like its had a full re-trim.

From the photos the boat looks to be in great shape. If your priorities are as you state them then i think this could be a good boat. 28k for a 2002 might be a little steep even if it has low hours. Low hours doesn't always equate to a good thing either. I would rather a regularly used, properly maintained and cared for boat with 600hours then a boat with 300 hours that was hardly used.

I think you're definitely on the right track with a boat that suits your needs but given its end of season and that boat is a 2002 i would offer less than 28k.

my two cents...

Edited by Tags

Thanks for all the quick replies ! I figured the 28k was high.. I had nothing to compare it to... It was sold by the dealer in the past and they did a full service and tune up etc in 2012 - it was in great condition back then as well.  Yes it's a monsoon (original engine) I figured low 20's dealer isn't out much if on consignment ... I would have it checked out to make sure it is sound... As for size of this boat I am hoping we can use for several years until we upgrade:) thanks again ...this forum is awesome .. 

2 hours ago, RTS said:

Price seems high (way high).  From your description of how you will use the boat seems like a good fit.  I see it is at a dealer.  Is it by chance a consignment boat? Bet there is a lot of wiggle room on that boat regardless.  I'd try to get them into the very, very low $20's on that..

EDIT...I see that it is on consignment at the dealership. A month or two into winter and you could probably pick that up for $22K or thereabouts.  The boat was probably not more than $40K brand new 15 years ago.

If that boat was 40k new 15 years ago, when it's adjusted for inflation in real money terms,  it would cost the equivalent of just over $62k if it were purchased new today (calculated at 3 percent annual inflation). 

It should make you feel better about the deal thinking about it that way and it's more accurate in real money terms.   I agree with RTS,  22k would be a much better price.  

Yea, looks like 25 if you consider the trailer and a few other options like the PP, tower, ballast. It also has a wedge .   Im assuming the tower speakers, amps and head unit adds some value. Since its on consignment, the seller has to pay roughly 10% to the dealer for selling and cleaning so they probably priced  it to help cover those costs. The dealer can povide good financing if needed. Check the age of the tires. Oh, i just re read that it is a 2012 tandem trailer. Nice. I just noticed the bow lights too. Now im thinking 27 might not be too far north since the trailer is newer and a tandem. 

Edited by williemon

I just noticed a 2001 23 ft lsv in the columbus ga craigslist. 700 ish hours for 25800 or so. Its in my neck of the woods if you wanted an eye to  check it out. 

I saw that lsv online ... I would love the extra room.  From the looks of the pictures it seems to be in decent shape... I will keep my eye on this one and let you know .. Thanks for the offer .. 

I am guessing that the older lsv would be a good boat to start out on with the girls 

Good looking boat but I just bought a 2003 VLX in similar condition from a dealer for $21k (before tax, etc...). If you're looking around Lake Lanier, here are two boats that I personally looked at on Sept. 24th.

- 1998 Malibu Sunsetter VLX, (asking $17,5k) it needs a little vinyl work but otherwise, a solid boat for $16k or so. https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/5789393889.html

- 2001 Mastercraft X-1, (asking $24,9k) some wear but good bones. Ask for Heidi in sales https://atlantamarine.com/boats/2001-mastercraft-x-star-21/

Edited by DoglegRight

Something to keep in mind is sales tax. A boat on consignment is as if its a private party sale. You may not have to pay sales tax. I know i did not when i bought my boat on consignment from a dealer in AL. 

Something else i am pleased with on my 01 ssvlx is the three compartment hatch. I can stand on the swim platform and pull skis or wakeboard out of the two rear compartments. Passangers do not have to shift seats. 

Edited by williemon

I think the price is a little high. I paid a bit over 20 something. Ahem. For a 2002 Sunsetter LXi about 6 months ago.

Your pics look Very clean. And that stereo very well may rock out. 

Looks nice to me.

Steve B.

Yep !

I still think that our family would need something larger than a 21' given that we do not have a lake house (YET) and all the "stuff" we will need to have onboard for the day. 22-23' is what I am guessing .. that being said If i can get a Clean 21' boat that can last us for several years we might not need a larger boat if we have a home on the water and a place to store the water toys ! I will continue to read and read ...these forums to gain knowledge from others.. 

Is that at singleton marine's used boat center? I bought my boat from Tom down there. Tom's a nice guy, and I would buy from him again, but wouldn't pay more than $23k for that boat. 

I looked at one there a few years ago when i was looking. I did not buy it though since it had no tower or wedge and the price did not get low enough for me to add those items. They do however know how to clean up a boat. Tom is quite the character as well. In a good way though so no harm ment by that comment. You may very well get a call back from him with a counter offer. 

Yep it is the place you are thinking ... Tom has been straight forward and a good resource .. no issues at all with him .. just not paying 28k for that boat ...  they seem like a well run dealer ... 

Edited by Adog8
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 6:59 PM, RTS said:

I'd say the price seems a little high, not "way high."  Low hours, looks to be in great shape, fairly new trailer all help add to its value. 

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 7:00 PM, Tags said:

It looks like its had a full re-trim.

I don't see any "re-trim."  Vinyl all looks stock, as does all of the dash pieces/trim pieces.  Factory tower.  Original PP.  Can't tell how "good" the stereo is other than a sub and JL Towers.

9 hours ago, Adog8 said:

Thanks all .. I offered 22k cash for the boat and was told to pretty much have a nice day ... search goes on .. 

If that were my boat, I'd probably do the same thing at that price.  IMO, 25k would be a fair price to pay.  Sure, you will hear the "for a few grand more you can have a '05-'08 VLX.  To get one in the same condition and hours, you are looking at a good 35k minimum...that's a 28% price premium. 

3 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

I'd say the price seems a little high, not "way high."  Low hours, looks to be in great shape, fairly new trailer all help add to its value. 

I don't see any "re-trim."  Vinyl all looks stock, as does all of the dash pieces/trim pieces.  Factory tower.  Original PP.  Can't tell how "good" the stereo is other than a sub and JL Towers.

If that were my boat, I'd probably do the same thing at that price.  IMO, 25k would be a fair price to pay.  Sure, you will hear the "for a few grand more you can have a '05-'08 VLX.  To get one in the same condition and hours, you are looking at a good 35k minimum...that's a 28% price premium. 

regarding the re-trim........just saying that the vinyl looks remarkably "vibrant" for being 14 years old. If it truly is the original vinyl then i'll tip my cap to the owner for somehow maintaining it to look as good as new.

The ad says it was in a time capsule ... that is why it looks so good :) ... Tom says it's one of the cleanest boats he has seen in a very long time. He actually was trying to get me on a 23 lsv due my family size.  He called me on this boat do to the quality even though it's a 21'