Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 2017 23 LSV or used 2015 24 MXZ

sarasetp

I have a budget that I am trying to stay within.  I really would love to move up from our 2008 23 LSV to a larger boat, but I cannot afford a new larger boat and would have to go with a used 24.  My preference, if I were to go the used boat route, would be the 24 MXZ, 2015 or newer.  I am contemplating a new 2017 23 LSV, but with the options I am looking at, it is a little bit beyond my reach, although I am working with my local dealer to help me out.

I love the new 2017 24 MXZ because it is redesigned.  I cannot afford it.  But if I went with a 2015 24 MXZ, would I regret getting it because of the new 2017 24 MXZ.  What do you think?

1.  For those with a 2015/2016 24 MXZ (or those who have ridden in a 2015/2016 24 MXZ), how do you like the boat after several years with it, if you compare it to a new 2017 23 LSV or the redesigned 2017 24 MXZ.

2.  Do you still like the wave for surfing and wake for Wboarding on your 2015/2016 24 MXZ?  I've never done either behind an MXZ.

3.  Does the new redesigned MXZ make you want to get a new one, if so, why?

4.  Compared to a 2015-2016 23 LSV, do you know if the 2015/2016 24 MXZ has as high of a freeboard?

5.  I am considering a new 2017 23 LSV or a used 2015 24 MXZ.  Which would you go with and why?

I need your input.  This is a big decision and want to make the right one.  Thanks in advance.

IXFE is spot on.  The cabin is about the same.  I do think the bow is really nice for those who like it.  I have a 23 and we never use it because it's just a little too cozy.  

I would go with the new 23 over the used 24mxz if you like to surf a lot.  The hull is better for surfing and unless you weight the old 24MXZ hull a lot it's not tremendous.  If you do want to have a lot of ballast the 24 can be really good.

Some other things to consider:

- you'll hate every new MXZ you see  :-)  (although the 23 is due in a year or two)

- the stereo in the '17 is superior.  It's really night and day.

- you can pick your colors and options on the new boat, which is kinda nice

One thing you didn't mention was the motor.  Are you looking at one of the LSA 555hp MXZs that are out there?  That is really nice and something that would check the box for the MXZ, although the new 1.76:1 has eliminated a lot of concerns of pushing heavy boats at elevation on the '17s.

In the end if you like the MXZ design and would use the bow then maybe I'd consider it if it had the big motor, otherwise I'd go with the new 23LSV for the same ballpark money.  

• Like 3

Since you mentioned budget a few times in your post, are you also considering used 2015-2016 23 LSVs too? If you were to go used on the 24 MXZ, you'll pay an extra $15-20K for the larger bow against a comparable year 23 LSV but there's a lot fewer of them on the market, and as tjklein said they don't surf as well as the LSV with comparable ballast. However, the new MXZ redesign does surf much better if you find that's the boat you can't stop thinking about.

There's not a ton of differences between the 2015/2016 LSV and the 2017 LSV, with the biggest difference being the engine switch in 2016, so you wouldn't have as much new model envy in that line yet.

And 5 year warranty starting in 2016...,.

If a 2017 LSV is on your radar, what options are you looking at?  Could you do without a few options and get into a 2017 MXZ?  

@hethj7, So the 5 year warranty just started in 2016?  What is it only 3 years 2015 and older?  Based on the pricing I am getting, the 24 MXZ starts with no options at the price that the 23 LSV has with the options I want.  I don't think that the 24 MXZ is in the cards for us, :(.  Since I have owned a Malibu, I know what options I can't live without.  Unfortunately, that list is not short.  I wished that Malibu had significant factory rebates for existing Malibu boat owners.  That would help get them to get new sales.

I was told that the 2017 23 LSV now has a vent for the PNP bags so you dont have to burp them.  Any truth to that?

I would submit a couple of different perspectives.  

1. 2015 24 MXZ can create phenomenal wave.  As good or better than 23 LSV if weighted properly.  (Yes properly is a crap ton of weight)  and you can do it with ZERO EXPOSED BALLAST!  

2. 2015 has already taken the resale hit so will likely maintain.  23 LSV is outstanding for resale.

3.  2015 572 LSA is Superior to 2016+ 575 Roush 

4.  New warranty is great to have so there is benefit to new 23 LSV.  

5.  If you use bow for seating, (we do every outing)  MXZ can't be beat!

6. With MXZ you are a little different, as previously stated there isn't near as many out there, you would not be the 20'th one on your lake.   You see a ton of 23 LSV, 24MXZ not so much.  This item is definitely a PRO and CON.

Edited by DarkSide
2 hours ago, sarasetp said:

I was told that the 2017 23 LSV now has a vent for the PNP bags so you dont have to burp them.  Any truth to that?

You can vent any bag for about $30/each in parts, it is a simple process.  Yes, 2017 does have "auto vent" option.

I am in the same camp as you, I just sold my 2015 22 VLX and will be ordering a 2017 LSV this time around.  I am going with the LSV to try something different, we will probably never fill it up with 12 peeps too often but the resale is by far the best of any Malibu boat, and I guess you can never have too much room.  Between a 2015 MXZ and 2017 LSV I would vote for the LSV all day long, just for the 5 year warranty, the base 410 Raptor seems to be plenty of engine for most folks out there.  If you were not aware the LSV is the all time best seller for Malibu, every year.   I would think the MXZ would be a much harder sell when its time to move on to something else.

Slight off topic, but did you sell your boat yourself?  Was it is to do...just post the boat and wait for interested parties to call you?

Yes, sold my boat on my own.  Ironically I sold my boat to the same buyer who bought my 2013, he lives in New Zealand.  I would recommend you posting your boat on Craigslist, Only Inboard, Boat Trader and Malibu Crew classifieds.

I have never sold MXZ, but would think would be a similar valuations when reselling later.  The problem with MXZ is it is Malibu's most expensive boat aside from M series.  So with buying used the first buyer takes it in the shorts.  So 3 years from now he would have 3 year old LSV or 5 year old MXZ.  Value would likely be very similar, MXZ may even have slight advantage being as 2015 MXZ was more expensive than 2017 LSV.  

Make no mistake original purchaser of 24 MXZ will lose a boat load of $$$.  Whereas 23 LSV holds value better.  But in 2020 both boats would likely be similar values, 

There really is no wrong choice it is what works for you.   Demo both!  The people that have a 23LSV love them and would not want a 24 MXZ, same thing the other way.   It is truly a function of how you plan to use it.  I have passengers in the bow almost every outing.   Usually a sleeping teenager.   So for me LSV doesn't work,  because you need a bow bag.   The folks that are used to bow bags see little to no value in bow area.   If you don't have older kids who like "personal space" then 23 is likely better fit.  If you have people that like to separate and have thier own area 24 MXZ.   

Either way only bad choice is 2015 with 410 engine!  450 minimum, 572/575 if you can find one. 

Also if you buy 2017, don't forget to add bags, pumps, etc. Into pricing.  Those will likely be included with 2015/16.  Used 23/25 LSV could also be good options

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 3

I spoke with dealer today who said that in 2016, Malibu came out with all new vinyl designs for the interior and new "cool" to the touch vinyl.  But does that mean that the Vinyl for 2016 is better quality that would last longer than the Vinyl in the 2015 boats?

I was a big critic of the new vinyl when I took delivery of my 2016 23 lsv in August of 2015, but now I love the stuff. After 150 hours and living in the hot temps of Las Vegas, the new vinyl still looks brand new. I also saw a 2015 23 lsv after about a year of use, and the older vinyl started to degrade and looked brownish. After that, I realized how much I like the new stuff. You will too.

@BadgerBoater55, I realized after I sent out the post that there was probably a post on the new Vinyl.  But still worthwhile to hear perspectives on people's impressions now that 2016 boating season is ending.