Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Locker Heater

racer808

On 10/04/2016 at 1:37 PM, malibuskier2003 said:

I use this.  It's a nice "piece of mind" thing as I am about 5 hours away from where I keep my boat stored.

Dave

https://www.amazon.com/Caframo-Pali-Engine-Compartment-Heater/dp/B00MEMRGZE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475606021&sr=8-2&keywords=boat+heater

Got one of these. Drop it in next to the engine, plug it in and forget it down to 20 degrees.

10 hours ago, mnwakerider said:

What fans are you guys using to help circulate the warmer air? 

I'm just using some cheap 8" fans I found at walmart for 9 bucks a piece.  But the heater thing we're talking about is linked above, it's just a coil that heats about as much as a light bulb & causes air to naturally circulate to prevent mold / mildew / moisture.  I leave all the seats on so all the heat / air is happening under there.  

9 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Got one of these. Drop it in next to the engine, plug it in and forget it down to 20 degrees.

You didn't mount yours?  I went with a $40 heater I found that is 1500w & has a thermostat

1 hour ago, racer808 said:

You didn't mount yours?  I went with a $40 heater I found that is 1500w & has a thermostat

For the 3 to 5 weeks it will be used I decided not to mount it.  Not sure where I would mount it where it was out of the way of other stuff or maintenance access?  It is small and sits on the shelf between the engine and locker divider.  15 seconds in or out.  All that said, I did save the mounting plate in case I change my mind.

Be careful that any heater you put back there is ignition protected.  Many inexpensive space heaters have exposed red hot elements.

2 hours ago, minnmarker said:

For the 3 to 5 weeks it will be used I decided not to mount it.  Not sure where I would mount it where it was out of the way of other stuff or maintenance access?  It is small and sits on the shelf between the engine and locker divider.  15 seconds in or out.  All that said, I did save the mounting plate in case I change my mind.

Be careful that any heater you put back there is ignition protected.  Many inexpensive space heaters have exposed red hot elements.

I was just curious, I was looking at it till I starting reading the mounting stuff & didn't want to mount anything.  I didn't think about the ignition protection, I've using these regular heaters for so long it didn't even dawn on me I should get something safer

• 1 month later...

Kudos for getting it figured out. Knowing things like this about your boat will pay off in the long run.

I've had the Boatsafe Jr in mine for like 7 or 8 winters now. I drain everything too, but this thing is great for peace of mind & extending the season.

Plus a dehumidifier from West Marine.

And a Guest battery charger.

So far, so good.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 1:37 PM, malibuskier2003 said:

I use this.  It's a nice "piece of mind" thing as I am about 5 hours away from where I keep my boat stored.

Dave

https://www.amazon.com/Caframo-Pali-Engine-Compartment-Heater/dp/B00MEMRGZE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475606021&sr=8-2&keywords=boat+heater

That is the same one I have