Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Locker Heater

racer808

Can't remember if it was on here but someone posted up a engine bay heater.  It wasn't the extreme, it was a cheaper one that sort of looked like a mushroom you dangle back there.  Want to a buy few, giving up trying to figure out how to winterize my PIA boat & think I may just heat my garage & lockers instead 

4 minutes ago, racer808 said:

Can't remember if it was on here but someone posted up a engine bay heater.  It wasn't the extreme, it was a cheaper one that sort of looked like a mushroom you dangle back there.  Want to a buy few, giving up trying to figure out how to winterize my PIA boat & think I may just heat my garage & lockers instead 

Draining the water out of a boat engine is a 15-20 minute job, few more with a heater. Not worth the risk on something that expensive.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Draining the water out of a boat engine is a 15-20 minute job, few more with a heater. Not worth the risk on something that expensive.

Agreed and normally I would do that.  The problem is I cannot locate the driver side block drain and if it is there there's no way of reaching it.  The headers seem doable but I have all rigid pipes, no quick disconnects.  I am going to call tomorrow and see what they'll charge to fill it with antifreeze or drain it for me.  My set up looks nothing like what the manual or Indmar sent me.  Was so easy on my Malibu, this boat is a PIA and I've wasted more time trying to figure it out then it's worth.  

Edited by racer808

@racer808:  Since getting at the LHS drain is impossible, one option would be to winterize via the running method.  A couple of ingenious Crew members have posted some pictures on using a bucket full of antifreeze collecting it from the exhaust and then cycling it through the engine running to make sure it gets a homogenous distribution.  You put a suction line in the bucket to draw the antifreeze mixture.  It takes some plumbing but should be effective for your issue.  Make sure you have enough fluid to keep the mixture cycling, probably do a search on this site and I think there are a few examples over on Ball of Spray also.

Off topic, when I first read the title and having gone out in cool weather yesterday, I thought this might just be a heated locker to warm up wetsuits between sets...

Edited by Woodski
18 hours ago, pauley71 said:

How warm does this keep the locker?  Waiting for a few shops to open today so I can see cost for winterize.  Still going to stick something like this in my locker though just in case.  

While we're talking heaters, what's a good option to keep my garage around 40?  Gas isn't really an option, piping would have to be exposed from the outside, nor am I going to risk handy risk on a gas line.  Been looking at electric heaters on HomeDepot but not really sure is any of the 120v are worth it between cost of running of output of heat

51 minutes ago, racer808 said:

How warm does this keep the locker?  Waiting for a few shops to open today so I can see cost for winterize.  Still going to stick something like this in my locker though just in case.  

While we're talking heaters, what's a good option to keep my garage around 40?  Gas isn't really an option, piping would have to be exposed from the outside, nor am I going to risk handy risk on a gas line.  Been looking at electric heaters on HomeDepot but not really sure is any of the 120v are worth it between cost of running of output of heat

If your garage is insulated then it is pretty easy to keep it above freezing.  I use one of these in my shop garage (20x24 garage with insulated walls and ceiling).  It is capable of keeping my shop in the low 60's in January when it is -20F, but is not cheap to run all the time.  I don't run it 24/7 more than a couple weeks a year when I'm working on a project that needs to stay warm and dehumidified.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cadet-The-Hot-One-5000-Watt-240-Volt-Electric-Garage-Portable-Heater-RCP502S/202909808?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D26P-AirCirculation|&gclid=CJn4krCXwc8CFQIxaQodfi4KMw&gclsrc=aw.ds

All that being said, if you don't have a way of monitoring your garage temp it would be pretty easy for a heater failure to result in a cracked block.  Is there an MB forum where someone might have an idea how to winterize your specific boat/engine?  Also be aware that a bilge heater isn't necessarily going to keep your heater core from freezing if it is part of the raw water system.

Edited by oldjeep
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

If your garage is insulated then it is pretty easy to keep it above freezing.  I use one of these in my shop garage (20x24 garage with insulated walls and ceiling).  It is capable of keeping my shop in the low 60's in January when it is -20F, but is not cheap to run all the time.  I don't run it 24/7 more than a couple weeks a year when I'm working on a project that needs to stay warm and dehumidified.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cadet-The-Hot-One-5000-Watt-240-Volt-Electric-Garage-Portable-Heater-RCP502S/202909808?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D26P-AirCirculation|&gclid=CJn4krCXwc8CFQIxaQodfi4KMw&gclsrc=aw.ds

All that being said, if you don't have a way of monitoring your garage temp it would be pretty easy for a heater failure to result in a cracked block.  Is there an MB forum where someone might have an idea how to winterize your specific boat/engine?  Also be aware that a bilge heater isn't necessarily going to keep your heater core from freezing if it is part of the raw water system.

The MB forum sucks, I don't think anyone over there actually works on their boats, they all seem to use dealers.  I've asked a hundred times & no one answers or knows.  EngineNut tried to help me out but the stuff he sent me is close to my set up but I am still stuck at trying to figure out how to drain the driver side block, I don't see the hose & even if there is one there is no reaching it.  I can't even reach the oil pan hose it is that tight down there.  The headers I am sure I can get drained but with all the rigid hoses I have it's been a real PIA trying to disconnect any of them.  I think antifreeze is the way to go but I don't trust myself to get it right.  Not really sure I trust any of the shops being there's a lot of stories of improper winterization by dealers & others.  

Thanks for the heater link!

To keep an idea of water condition I put a one gallon jug of water next to the boat on the trailer walk pad, it is amazing how infrequently it actually freezes even when quite cold outside.  I also keep a jug of diluted RV antifreeze next to it as a comparison and true fluid (worst case as more diluted than what is in block) in the block & heater core monitor.

@racer808:  Another option, remove the inlet side engine water pump hose, and for easier flow remove the thermostat housing & stat and simply flush a fair amount of RV antifreeze until you get a comparable mix exiting the circulation pump and I think you will be good.  Boat will need to be level side to side to make sure even distribution.  Once there, you should be able to cap off circulation pump and top off the RV antifreeze if that is the way you want to go.  You will have to do the exhaust manifolds separately.  It is interesting to compare the level of DIY depth on the different forums or by brand.  BTW hopefully you guys will have a very snowy winter, I have my Peaks Pass set for '17 ski season.

2 hours ago, Woodski said:

To keep an idea of water condition I put a one gallon jug of water next to the boat on the trailer walk pad, it is amazing how infrequently it actually freezes even when quite cold outside.  I also keep a jug of diluted RV antifreeze next to it as a comparison and true fluid (worst case as more diluted than what is in block) in the block & heater core monitor.

@racer808:  Another option, remove the inlet side engine water pump hose, and for easier flow remove the thermostat housing & stat and simply flush a fair amount of RV antifreeze until you get a comparable mix exiting the circulation pump and I think you will be good.  Boat will need to be level side to side to make sure even distribution.  Once there, you should be able to cap off circulation pump and top off the RV antifreeze if that is the way you want to go.  You will have to do the exhaust manifolds separately.  It is interesting to compare the level of DIY depth on the different forums or by brand.  BTW hopefully you guys will have a very snowy winter, I have my Peaks Pass set for '17 ski season.

I'm dropping the boat off tomorrow morning, $200.00.  Sucks I can't do this one myself, hopefully they do it right.  Said he will drain water & refill everything with anti freeze.  I am still buying a couple of those heaters you posted up though, just in case.  I do the water jug too, only once did I find it frozen & it was when we had a week or two of sub zero temps at night.  Never thought a boat would be so hard to winterize!  The Bu was stupid easy but I don't want to screw this up.  

I too hope we have a snowy season!  I probably won't get up more than a handful of times but the more snow the more full lakes we have.

If you can find the plug once, you can always add a hose for a remote drain valve. I put hoses on my engine to a row of six quarter turn valves that drain both sides of my block, both manifolds, my recirculating water pump, and even my heater. I have my boat drained before I get to the top of the launch ramp. 

I know it's a pain to find the drain plug, but it takes the pain away to know that you only need to find it once. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Endurance said:

If you can find the plug once, you can always add a hose for a remote drain valve. I put hoses on my engine to a row of six quarter turn valves that drain both sides of my block, both manifolds, my recirculating water pump, and even my heater. I have my boat drained before I get to the top of the launch ramp. 

I know it's a pain to find the drain plug, but it takes the pain away to know that you only need to find it once. 

I was planning on doing that when I found it.  Winter project is going to be installing quick disconnects, better pictures of my set up to Indmar & hopefully a solution to make next fall easier.  Hopefully the place I am taking it to can show me how to get to it when they're done

On 10/3/2016 at 11:29 AM, pauley71 said:

How warm does this get or maintain the boat?  Thinking about getting a few for front, back & observers cabin.  

So the smaller one is the equiv of a 60 watt bulb.   I had the larger one. It gets fairly warm but I only used it for extending the season and never really  measured the temp. I'll say this... it gets warm enough that you can barely keep your hand on it. 

The boat is fairly insulated. I think it would keep it pretty warm. Still not sure I would trust it. One power outage or failed unit and you are out $5k+.

I've never even looked at winterizing my Malibu.  I store in my heated garage (next to the house).

This is the garage heater I have.  I run it off propane.

http://www.mrheater.com/big-maxx-natural-gas-unit-heater-1193.html

And, as a secondary safety net, I use this bilge heater.

http://www.theboatsafe.com/shop/minimax-600-watt/

And I have a sensor tied into my home alarm so that the monitoring company contacts me should the temp get below 40*.

Who did you have winterize?  Tommy's has been good to me, but I have heard good things about Caliber as well.

6 hours ago, RyanB said:

I've never even looked at winterizing my Malibu.  I store in my heated garage (next to the house).

This is the garage heater I have.  I run it off propane.

http://www.mrheater.com/big-maxx-natural-gas-unit-heater-1193.html

And, as a secondary safety net, I use this bilge heater.

http://www.theboatsafe.com/shop/minimax-600-watt/

And I have a sensor tied into my home alarm so that the monitoring company contacts me should the temp get below 40*.

Who did you have winterize?  Tommy's has been good to me, but I have heard good things about Caliber as well.

I'm taking it to Valentine, they are also half of what Tommys charges.  Never heard of Caliber?  

14 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Valentine has been around for years, but I don't think they have ever carried a tow boat line.

Calibre has a former Tommy's guy doing their repair/winterization.  I've heard good things about him from multiple sources.

http://www.calibreboat.com/calibre-motor-repair

No they sell fishing boats & pontoons but he winterzied my first boat when I didn't know how.  TBH its why I am still putting heaters in the boat even though I doubt my garage will ever get below freezing.  Just a piece of mind.  I am going to call Caliber & see if he can get to it ASAP as it is suppose to freeze tomorrow night & possibly tonight, if not Valentine should suffice 

Valentine is one of the few boat dealers in the Metro area that have been around for years.  They have made it through the tough economic times, so I am sure they are doing something right.  I also fish quite a bit (and have a Lund), and many of the people on the fishing boards highly recommend Valentine.  I am sure you are in good hands there.

8 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Valentine is one of the few boat dealers in the Metro area that have been around for years.  They have made it through the tough economic times, so I am sure they are doing something right.  I also fish quite a bit (and have a Lund), and many of the people on the fishing boards highly recommend Valentine.  I am sure you are in good hands there.

Turns out they are an inboard dealer.  Gecko.....  They are going to extend the drain hoses for me if they can so hopefully that's done.  Then just put quick disconnects everywhere this winter

Found the drain hose!  What a PIA, guy was half way thru the vdrive compartment w/ two long wrenches.  He couldn't reach it to do an extender or rather he decided I can do it myself cause he was F bombed out.  I tried to reach back there and couldn't get there, will have to find a child to retrieve for me next year 

On October 3, 2016 at 11:29 AM, pauley71 said:

Got one of these yesterday.  Interesting little thing to me.  Thought it was broken when I plugged it in since nothing happened.  But about as hot as a lightbulb once heated up.  I put a heater set at 45 in starboard rear locker, all dividers removed, then a small fan port side rear locker, this small air dry thing in the observers compartment and a really small fan in the bow.  That should keep the air moving and temps above freezing in the boat.  

There used to be a boat manufacturer around here that had a pit filled with antifreeze. You would back your boat in like you were unloading start up the engine and let it run a few minutes instantly winterized.