Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How many hours do you put on your boat?

sounddude03

As the season starts to wind down, I wanted to get the input from the crew on three questions:

1) How many hours did you put on your boat this year?

2) What is the most hours you have ever racked up in a season?

3) What is your average number of hrs?

This is my first year as a boat owner so my answer to all three questions would be 200 hrs.  I have a feeling that is a decent amount of time for someone living in Wisconsin, but lets see what others have to say.  

• Like 2

1. 53 - We had really great weather this summer and I took off every Monday in July and Aug, so I got in a little more than normal.:)

2. 60 (years we went on house boat trips)

3. 45

I'm in Michigan. When using the boat, 98% is towing riders. 2 % is cruising. Typically start early May, wrap up mid October.

Edited by Raimie

1. 49 (Pulled the boat Wednesday :cry:)

2. 57 (Full season + houseboat trip to lake cumberland)

3. 47

Another vote for Michigan. 200 is impressive for the limited season we have here in the midwest.

1. 80-90 this summer before trading in on my VLX and so far another 10-20 on that.

2. Did well over 130 last summer ( I look for ANY excuse to go wakeboarding or surfing)

3. So averaging 100 here in Michigan as well

1) About 52 so far, probably only get another 5 on it before we are done this year

2) Put just under 80 on one year when we had a couple week long lake trips

3) Average is 40-50 for us

The hours are a bit deceptive in that we are on the boat a lot but the engine isn't always running.  Typical weekend day for us is 6 hours on the water with 2 hours of run time.

1) About 100 hours so far this year.

2) 100 may be the max as this was the first Summer that we were really into surfing and it takes more time than skiing.

3) No idea what normal is.  Every Summer is different.

1.), 2.), & 3.) 61 hours.

This is my 1st wake/surf boat on a new lake. Boating season is April/May-October 1st. My last boat was a cruiser on Lake Michigan and did about 45 hours per year. The boat before that, was a Sunsetter LX and after 9 years, it had 175hrs. The Sunsetter was on a much smaller lake and was used to ski for a bit and then float. Therefore, both prior boats/situation don't really compare to our new one. 200 hours is amazing! We were happy at 60.

1) About 60, we cruise out to a lot of different spots then surf in the morning and evenings.  A cold spring here and low water levels in the fall cut our season a little shorter.

2) 80 last summer.  We just got the boat and had an exceptionally long summer due to the higher water levels. 

3) Average is in the 50-60 range.  We're on the St. Lawrence river so the water levels can fluctuate later in the year, and let's not forget about the weather. 

Our hours are slightly different than most I'm sure.  We don't spend entire days emptying the gas tank just surfing.  We cruise out to different islands and towns each weekend, so the running time is usually a mix of cruising and surfing (70/30). 

25 hours on the Malibu.  We use is solely for watersports.  We use the pontoon for cruising around.  Put about 75 on that.  100 hours in total for the summer and that's pretty much average.

60 hours this summer which was the wettest we've had in a long while.  Average about 70.  Lots of neoprene involved.  Not sure I wakeboarded without this year actually.

1) Upper 30's

2) Around 80

3) About 40

2014 was terrible, 2015 was bad, 2016 was decent...we've got a pattern of steadily improving hours per season as the kids get older. I'm hoping it continues until we get into the mid 50's per year.

1) 150 hours on our new boat with surfgate.

2) 150 hours is the most we have ever done thanks to surfgate.

3) Before surfgate we averaged about 70 a year, but much more was spent sitting in the boat or swimming.

• Like 1
Just now, DarkSide said:

Only 140 this year, work got in the way so I missed 2 months. 

225 last year

Average 200 per year, but I go year round.   Our season in AZ never ends you just wear a wetsuit Nov-Mar.  

Same in TX lol except wet suit January - March,,

sad year.. boat in shop most of summer :(

This year 150 hrs

Most ever 350 hrs

average 250 hrs

• Like 3

this year has been a tough one, had a kid in June so its been different. :)

1) in the 20's now but not done yet.

2) not sure on the most ever?

3) averaged around 50 prior to the child and hope to get back there soon. :)

1 - 44 hours so far.  I'm not done yet

2 - Around 58 hours, last year.  We had a lake house vacation for a week last year we didn't have this year, which is a big part of that difference

3 - 253 hours total.  Purchased early summer 2011, so figuring 5.7 seasons of use, that is 44 hours a year.

12 hours ago, sounddude03 said:

As the season starts to wind down, I wanted to get the input from the crew on three questions:

1) How many hours did you put on your boat this year?

2) What is the most hours you have ever racked up in a season?

3) What is your average number of hrs?

This is my first year as a boat owner so my answer to all three questions would be 200 hrs.  I have a feeling that is a decent amount of time for someone living in Wisconsin, but lets see what others have to say.  

Took delivery of our 2013 23LSV on Jan 31,2013 current have 1271 hours on the meter

1. Not finished with 290 hours to date 2016

2. 334 hours in 2013

3. 326 hrs avg

• Like 3

This summer has been tough.  between having our second son in July, terrible weather, and work stuff only put on mid 20's this summer.  Joe fully one more day on the water this weekend before it gets put away next week.

Best year so far was the summer we bought the boat.  picked it up the week before July 4th and put on about 50 hours by the time it went in the barn late september.

Our average is all over the place, since we got the boat we've had two kids and a super rainy summer.  I would say somewhere in the mid 40s.

Since switching from an IO our hours have increased.  Still a relatively short season in PA on top of a mandatory early lake draw down, so nothing crazy.

1. 40

3. 25 (years prior with IO)

1)  50+ and still trying to squeeze in a few more (headed out later today).  And we were without a boat nearly half the season this year between selling the VLX and awaiting delivery the LSV

2)  50+ this year

3)  Guessing 30

I agree with others in the Surfgate, plus a larger boat, are making it much easier to get the whole family out.   And kids (almost 2, 4, and 6) continue to want to go so I hope our hours keep increasing in the coming years.  

1.  122 hours so far this year.

2.  This year.

3.  We average around 70.

We live in Ohio and I hate cold water.   Usually boat June through September.