Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1995 response with 350mag / carb starting issues.

Yeaitsslo

I've searched the site but seems most of these problems are on the fuel injected boats.  So here's my problem. 

Boat sits for more then a week it looses prime. It won't reprime from cranking, it needs some fuel dumped in the carb or a shot of starting fluid to get it to kick over then it's fine for the whole day. Turn it on off doesn't matter. Only when it sits. 

Ive checked the fuel bowls and they are in fact empty when I get to the boat.   What's the reason for it not priming itself under normal cranking??  

I've got a 95 with the carbed 350.  It is definitely not normal for the gas to drain out like that.

Maybe it needs a rebuild?  Pretty inexpensive and easy to do.  Would it drain back out if the anti-siphon valve isn't working?  Another cheap and easy fix.

Just throwing some ideas out there.  I'm sure someone who actually knows what they are talking about will chime in.

8 minutes ago, powbmps said:

I've got a 95 with the carbed 350.  It is definitely not normal for the gas to drain out like that.

Maybe it needs a rebuild?  Pretty inexpensive and easy to do.  Would it drain back out if the anti-siphon valve isn't working?  Another cheap and easy fix.

Just throwing some ideas out there.  I'm sure someone who actually knows what they are talking about will chime in.

The boat runs great otherwise. Just this one issue.  

@Yeaitsslo:  The fuel bowls should not drain during a short sitting period simply due to evaporation in normal circumstances.  First question, what brand carb do you have as the construction of Holley v. Weber is very different and is the fuel pump a mechanical unit.  Since there is no fuel in the bowls when you go to start the boat after sitting, the accelerator pump has no fuel to draw on until the fuel pump delivers fuel to the bowls.  With a mechanical fuel pump, that will only happen when the engine is cranked over until the pump fills the bowls, which sounds like your issue.

I would suggest the following: Look over the area around the carb base (inside the intake and outside) to see if there are witness marks of a fuel leak.  If inconclusive, I would remove carb and set it over a drain pan with it full of fuel in the bowls and monitor the bowl fuel level over time and look for accumulation of fuel in the pan.  You should not have any fuel leaking out of the carb, if you do, it needs attention to correct that issue.  A Weber carb (similar in construction to an Edelbrock or Carter AFB) does not have any seams or gaskets that are below the fuel bowl level, Holleys do as the bowls are removed from the side of the carb.

On 9/30/2016 at 0:04 PM, Woodski said:

@Yeaitsslo:  The fuel bowls should not drain during a short sitting period simply due to evaporation in normal circumstances.  First question, what brand carb do you have as the construction of Holley v. Weber is very different and is the fuel pump a mechanical unit.  Since there is no fuel in the bowls when you go to start the boat after sitting, the accelerator pump has no fuel to draw on until the fuel pump delivers fuel to the bowls.  With a mechanical fuel pump, that will only happen when the engine is cranked over until the pump fills the bowls, which sounds like your issue.

I would suggest the following: Look over the area around the carb base (inside the intake and outside) to see if there are witness marks of a fuel leak.  If inconclusive, I would remove carb and set it over a drain pan with it full of fuel in the bowls and monitor the bowl fuel level over time and look for accumulation of fuel in the pan.  You should not have any fuel leaking out of the carb, if you do, it needs attention to correct that issue.  A Weber carb (similar in construction to an Edelbrock or Carter AFB) does not have any seams or gaskets that are below the fuel bowl level, Holleys do as the bowls are removed from the side of the carb.

So the boat has an edelbrock 1406 600 cfm carb in it.  I know it didn't come with that from the factory and I can't see any leaks on it.  

Upon further inspection I noticed the boat is also missing it's blower so I plan on adding a new one asap.  Could this be the infamous vapor lock that I keep coming across??   The weather is cool now and the boat seems to start effortlessly.  

I wonder if it leaks down because of the fuel pump?  Vapor lock is an issue after the engine is hot, and has set for awhile, then hard to re-start. Usually fuel injected engines.

Steve B.