Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Cmb396

How do y'all pick a custom board...

Recommended Posts

Cmb396

Without demo'ing??

so living in WV, I have nothing remotely close as far as a demo days go or anything. I bought a Ronix this year, loved it, learned a great deal on it, but after summer in it, I think I need something diff to progress forward.

so how would I choose a custom board? I've read about a lot of them, I like inland surfer, doomswell has some I like too, along with phase 5. How would I go about figuring out which would be best for me, before I drop a grand on a custom?

Share this post


Link to post
minnmarker

To those that have them, what is special about a custom board?  Is it sized and shaped to your weight and style, or something else?  I would think the board manufacturers would put out their best design(s) in off-the-shelf boards?

We've got a small Hyperlight Shim for the more advanced, a big Koal Fish for the big guys, and a CWB Ride for the beginners.  Something to suit everyone - at least we think so.

A few snow ski manufacturers have tried to market "custom" skis and they have all fallen flat.

Just asking.

Share this post


Link to post
kerpluxal

do you know anyone with the boards you want to buy and see if they will let you ride them? I could preach all day that my doomswell nubstep is the best board on the planet... but that is to me... not others... you REALLY need to RIDE before you buy... even within the same manufacture their boards are different between models and years.... With a good custom builder.. you could rely on telling them your riding style, weight, experience and leave it up to them... but that is not my choice for that kind of $$$...  

here is a link to some blemish boards at $400.00 http://www.doomswell.com/collections/wake-surf-boards/blemish

 

Share this post


Link to post
Cmb396

^unfortunately, no, there aren't many who surf around here, and those that do, just have off the shelf lower end boards.

 

Soulcraft was the other company I couldn't think of, I like some of their boards too. It's hard to decide from a description of course, they all sound great. Guess I just might have to plan a road trip for next spring and go get some board time.

 

@IXFE which SC do you have?

Share this post


Link to post
DarkSide

Here is the real kicker, fin configuration is as important as board selection, in how the board rides and responds.   So if you can't demo, order a 6 fin setup.  This will allow you to dramatically change your board.   I ride just the 2 big fins, others add the twinzers in front to loosen the board up a bit.   Then others add the smaller quads behind and inside to give added locked in feel and faster acceleration when pumping.  So tough to do.  We ride, a 4'8" fang quad, my 4'10 fang, (1/4 thicker for my body weight) thruster 2 find style, and my son just got 4' 7" Secret weapon, (6 fin)...

Share this post


Link to post
kerpluxal
11 minutes ago, Cmb396 said:

^unfortunately, no, there aren't many who surf around here, and those that do, just have off the shelf lower end boards.

 

Soulcraft was the other company I couldn't think of, I like some of their boards too. It's hard to decide from a description of course, they all sound great. Guess I just might have to plan a road trip for next spring and go get some board time.

 

@IXFE which SC do you have?

If you come to Texas... I can set you up with either Chaos or Doomswell demo ;)... and if you need a pull... I can get you that too :whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
kerpluxal
Just now, DarkSide said:

Here is the real kicker, fin configuration is as important as board selection, in how the board rides and responds.   So if you can't demo, order a 6 fin setup.  This will allow you to dramatically change your board.   I ride just the 2 big fins, others add the twinzers in front to loosen the board up a bit.   Then others add the smaller quads behind and inside to give added locked in feel and faster acceleration when pumping.  So tough to do.  We ride, a 4'8" fang quad, my 4'10 fang, (1/4 thicker for my body weight) thruster 2 find style, and my son just got 4' 7" Secret weapon, (6 fin)...

Totally agree on the fins... I wish I had a 6 fin setup.. even though I ride with 2 ;) ... would love to try other combinations.... and I need a skim board... only have ridden Victoria's boards... want to try others ;)

Share this post


Link to post
IXFE
52 minutes ago, Cmb396 said:

 

@IXFE which SC do you have?

This is the thread where I ate major crow.

start reading from here... mine is the black wood grain with the Malibu and Exile logos

edit: it's the HC Pro 4'6" same as @Wakesetter67

 

Edited by IXFE

Share this post


Link to post
Cmb396

The Sc HC is the board I keep going back to online. ?

Dont have Exile speakers tho, might be a deal breaker!! Ha

Share this post


Link to post
Anderson24
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

So my advice is wait until you can demo. Or buy mine for a deep discount!!  Lol

If you are selling...what are you buying??

Share this post


Link to post
IXFE
Just now, Anderson24 said:

If you are selling...what are you buying??

Idk... I'm not actively trying to sell it.  I just let that slip out.  But if somebody wanted it I would probably buy same thing with new graphic :dontknow:

Share this post


Link to post
Cmb396
47 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Idk... I'm not actively trying to sell it.  I just let that slip out.  But if somebody wanted it I would probably buy same thing with new graphic :dontknow:

saw your board in the other thread, looks great, love the dark wood grain! It's 4'6,right? What do you weigh? 

Think I'll build something similar to yours with some orange accents, my lsv is orange/black...plus, gotta represent my Vols!!

Share this post


Link to post
IXFE
40 minutes ago, Cmb396 said:

saw your board in the other thread, looks great, love the dark wood grain! It's 4'6,right? What do you weigh? 

Think I'll build something similar to yours with some orange accents, my lsv is orange/black...plus, gotta represent my Vols!!

180 lbs

Share this post


Link to post
shawndoggy
2 hours ago, IXFE said:

This is the thread where I ate major crow.

start reading from here... mine is the black wood grain with the Malibu and Exile logos

edit: it's the HC Pro 4'6" same as @Wakesetter67

 

@IXFE was really sure he didn't want any of that green eggs and ham and then he tried it and boy was it tasty!

in honor of @-BS- I am morally obligated to recommend the cwb tsunami.

Share this post


Link to post
Cmb396

@-BS-

this is my second year, actually learned last year on a skim...which was frustrating!

My boat is a 13 23 LSV with SG, and and extra 3500 in ballast, has a nice wake!

Im 6'0, 210, currently riding a Ronix powertail 4'10. I like to cruise, carve, and "attempt" to catch air. Don't think the powertail has quite enough speed for that, but I have managed to get the fins outta the water with it, but it just feels slow. Getting to the point where I'm close to doing 180s with it, but it doesn't seem to do that well riding invert.

Guess, I'm early Christmas shopping for a board for next season!!

Share this post


Link to post
IXFE

I agree with @shawndoggy

i also think that @-BS- might be saying that not everybody is ready for a custom board and certainly doesn't need one to progress. I actually attribute my change in opinion on Soulcraft to my own progression. The very thing I HATED most about Soulcraft many years ago is the same thing I LOVE most about it now. The only difference between now and then is the rider.  

Share this post


Link to post
Cmb396

^ Great info, thank you!!?

Share this post


Link to post
Cmb396

@-BS- So what would be the biggest diff bt a Honu and HC pro?

Share this post


Link to post
Stevo

Coming from a power tail, and carbon thruster getting on the HC was a world of difference for me. I was fortunate enough to get on one at a TMC surf day. 

This may be true for other SC or custom boards but what if found is the board wants to have the rail buried in the wave. If you flatten out it gets squirrelly. This is what turns off most people I have offered it up to try. It feels a bit loose, and they slip out over the board. But once you dial in your weight distribution and foot position it's incredibly fast, and I can recover from much farther back.

 

Share this post


Link to post
granddaddy55
On 10/1/2016 at 0:39 PM, IXFE said:

I agree with @shawndoggy

i also think that @-BS- might be saying that not everybody is ready for a custom board and certainly doesn't need one to progress. I actually attribute my change in opinion on Soulcraft to my own progression. The very thing I HATED most about Soulcraft many years ago is the same thing I LOVE most about it now. The only difference between now and then is the rider.  

No doubt rider 1st, Most don't even bother with backside surfing and their on to airs, then those are the same guys who can't rotate and stop a 360 on their chosen and recommended skimboard by the admission in their own posts. I learned them in a Broadcast in the 1st 3 months in '14 though I admit I'm inconsistent but have already learned a surf style 180 180.   learn to ride toes and heals "well" on both sides of the wave with your surf style so you can do a variety of tricks on the board you own. I ride a stock LF happy pill with the extra small nubs in rears with the smaller bigger fins in front, amazing surf toes and heals both sides, I can surf for 2or 3 hours straight if the wife was willing and I have 4 ways to surf with backside being my 2nd and 3rd strength with goofy toes 1st and my natural regular 4th best.  

Happy pill is the best stock boat board for both inexperienced and advanced riders.  Board finds the wave if you stay with the board like wake skating  Wife kills the oversized 4'8" for her though she feels almost terror when attempting backsides.  You have to learn to put your front toes or heals on the rail  as per @Stevo a supposed slow board comes alive because it has a surf rail and it only works with that pressure and the rear foot on opposite side on foot ledge.  Most of my recoveries involve only the foot "shuffle" technique with the rear foot coming forward and a lean on front towards boat.  That's why they call it the happy pill

 

Edited by granddaddy55

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...